Uncontrollable out going emails...

Michael Shaw

Limp Gawd
Over the last few hours I've been getting an uncontrollable out-going email thing going. I don't even have a single IE window open and all of a sudden Norton starts registering out-going emails and telling me it's scanning them for viruses, etc.

I've never, ever used outlook express. My norton upgrades are all current (12/31/03) and I've scanned twice. I've removed all spyware, etc with Adaware. My Norton is Norton 2003 SystemWorks.

At the moment I'm clueless on what's going on. It must be a virus but I've got no idea what to do about it since Norton doesn't show anything... I have alot of suspect programs running when I got into task manager, if I close them it stops but I don't know how to actually get rid of them...

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I would unplug your internet connection, then you can work on the problem.

You may have a trojan, which Norton didn't pick up. I would run SPybot S & D and also Adaware to get rid of any spyware on your PC. I'm not sure if they detect trojans though.

I would search for trojan removal tools also, before you unplug your connection, come to think of it ;)

1st guess Worm

trial TDS-3 carefully read the help file, and manually update the definitions (Install it to a non-defualt directory)

and Port Explorer as well

mght as well round it out

NOD32 (again to a non-default directory and manually update the definition

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
"Ever since the days when the very first anti-virus scanners were created, virus authors (and now authors of trojans, worms, and so on) have been looking for ways for their viruses and other creations to fight back by attacking the security software that detects them (such as scanners) or restricts them (such as firewalls). Over the last couple of years in particular a growing trend has emerged with a lot of new remote access trojans now terminating, tampering with and even destroying most security software - many even come with built-in lists of several hundred security programs to look for which they then terminate and delete before infecting a system. When a virus destroys your antivirus software you're left with very few options, but Process Guard provides a unique defensive option as it can be deployed to prevent the virus from being able to terminate the antivirus program when you re-install it, allowing you to then scan, detect, and disinfect the virus without having to worry about the virus killing the antivirus program."

Download, Install, Update, and get off the internet, your more than likely spamming people (probably all your friends as well)

also update your Windows Patches after we have Identified what your infected with and remove it

if you have a second computer, detach the infceted one, the turn it on and download, research ect from there and transfer the files over by media

Back