[UnConfirmed] Doom 4 leaked ScreenShots

I urge you to actually give it a try or download the demo.

It's really nothing like borderlands outside of superficial similarities in the environments and such.

So other than the fact that it's a mission-based game with "side-quests" and a "main-story" set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that looks very, very similar to Borderlands, it's nothing like Borderlands? I mean what exactly could the game consist of if this is true? Unless I turn it on and Carmack's face comes up and says "LOL ITS RAGEAMARI DAMACY!" and I just roll a big ball around the wasteland rolling everyone up, I'm pretty sure I know EXACTLY what the game will be. I've seen more than enough footage to know that it's just generic and not what I would expect from id after so long. If I can play it for free, then sure, but until someone I know decides to buy it then I'm left with not playing it because I refuse to spend money on something I'm fairly sure isn't any good.

So other than the fact that it's a mission-based game with "side-quests" and a "main-story" set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that looks very, very similar to Borderlands, it's nothing like Borderlands? I mean what exactly could the game consist of if this is true? Unless I turn it on and Carmack's face comes up and says "LOL ITS RAGEAMARI DAMACY!" and I just roll a big ball around the wasteland rolling everyone up, I'm pretty sure I know EXACTLY what the game will be. I've seen more than enough footage to know that it's just generic and not what I would expect from id after so long. If I can play it for free, then sure, but until someone I know decides to buy it then I'm left with not playing it because I refuse to spend money on something I'm fairly sure isn't any good.

I couldn't care less if you play it or not honestly. It's not my loss :)

Just saying that it's alot better than it got credit for.

Game Spot: And is it a sequel? A reboot? A prequel?

Todd Hollenshead: Gosh, that's actually an excellent question. It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those, and if I told you why, I would get my ass kicked when I got back. So I'll just have to leave it at that.
But I think someplace else they were talking about how a new IP is really hard to sell and that's why they are doing Doom 4. Maybe I'll find the quote later.

Oh, and for those curious, this guy is helping to develop the "story":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Joyce

I couldn't care less if you play it or not honestly. It's not my loss :)

Just saying that it's alot better than it got credit for.

But you also said it's not like Borderlands and that certainly wasn't my experience.

Have you played both games? I have.

I felt like Rage was Borderlands missing cousin or some such. I had all kinds of deja vu moments playing Rage that harkened back to Borderlands. YMMV.

I felt like Rage was Borderlands missing cousin or some such. I had all kinds of deja vu moments playing Rage that harkened back to Borderlands. YMMV.

That's basically what it looks like to me. And if there's a PC demo, id did a great job of hiding it. I suspect it just doesn't exist though.

But you also said it's not like Borderlands and that certainly wasn't my experience.

Have you played both games? I have.

yup. I got borderlands on release day :)

I honestly didn't think were all that similar gameplay wise or no more so than any other post-apocalyptic shooter (stalker/FO3/etc). Yeah, they both have vehicles and guns... and it's set in a 'wasteland' type environment, but the actual gameplay felt very different between the two (IMO of course)

yup. I got borderlands on release day :)

I honestly didn't think were all that similar gameplay wise or no more so than any other post-apocalyptic shooter (stalker/FO3/etc). Yeah, they both have vehicles and guns... and it's set in a 'wasteland' type environment, but the actual gameplay felt very different between the two

I had instances in gunfights even where it even "felt" and looked the same to me in a number of instances. Ah well...I guess it was just me. ;)

I noticed that Joystiq had a dead link to Doom 4 screenshots on their site last week. It just went to a dead page so I figured someone was screwing around with their article DB.

Now this just come out a few days later on another major site? Kinda makes it look like it was planned in advance. I call marketing stunt.

The only ones that seem like Doom to me is the last screenshot with blood all over, and then the one with Doom on a billboard.

vz2xP.png

I thought Doom 4 was cancelled because PC gamers didn't take the shoddy port up the arse like Carmack wanted?

Back