Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

polonyc2

Fully [H]
E3 story trailer...graphics (facial animation in particular look stunning) look like a step up from even Uncharted 4

Definitely looking forward to this despite it being a spin-off from the other Uncharted games. I'm pretty much down to buy any game Naughty Dog makes and they're pretty much the reason I buy a Playstation in the first place; got my PS4 last year just for Uncharted 4 anyways and picked up a Pro recently since I got a 4K TV with it and will be good to go when TLoU 2 comes out next year (hopefully).

It seems this game hasn't been getting as much hype from the gaming media though for whatever reason. If it's half as good as Uncharted 4 was though, then it'll still be worth buying, I think. Wonder if it has anything to do with it having a female protagonist? Now that I think of it, ND seems to be going towards female protagonists now since TLoU 2 will have one (Ellie) and it's a bit coincidental that one of Sony's other big exclusives (Horizon: Zero Dawn) has one as well. Not that I care, it's just interesting that a lot of games are following this trend now too and I wonder if it's in the name of being politically correct or if they would have went that way otherwise.

Anyways, enough thinking out loud.. hope this game gets some cameos from the other Uncharted games too; maybe Nathan or Sully will show up in a level or two. That would def be cool.

Last edited:
It seems this game hasn't been getting as much hype from the gaming media though for whatever reason...

I noticed that as well...I think the fact that it's a spinoff/side-story is the reason versus there being a female protagonist...when people think of Uncharted they think of Nathan Drake so people might not be as hyped for this...it does look gorgeous though...Naughty Dog and From Software are the 2 biggest reasons to buy a PlayStation...they never disappoint

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I hope the open world aspect to it doesn't ruin the flow of the game much, but Naughty Dog promises that regardless of where you go in the game, the story sequences will come at the same pace as they did in previous games despite the levels not being nearly as linear. At first I thought a 10-hour campaign sounded short for a $40 game, but then I looked up how long Uncharted 4's main campaign usually lasted and it's only 13-15 apparently. I guess I remembered it taking a bit longer than that for some reason. But ultimately it doesn't matter because I'll buy anything from Naughty Dog for just about any price, hah.

Wasn't this originally supposed to be DLC for uc 4? Hence the $40 price tag.

Wasn't this originally supposed to be DLC for uc 4? Hence the $40 price tag.
It was, but I recall reading somewhere that the game evolved past the point of being able to make sense as just a DLC from an economic and development standpoint.

Pretty sure if you bought the Season Pass for Uncharted 4 you still get this. At least that's what ND initially said.
Either way, I'm pumped for this. More Uncharted is always a good thing. Even though Drake's story is essentially over, ND did a good job with giving us just a tiny bit of info for a bunch of characters.
I can see them doing more games like this featuring Sully, Charlie, Eddie, etc.

review embargo is up...seems to be getting reviews in the 8-9 range on average...seems like more of the same (for better or worse)...

Eurogamer review
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-17-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-review

Functionally, however, there is next to nothing new. The Lost Legacy is very timid when it comes to experimenting with - or even varying in the slightest - Uncharted's gameplay mix, its pacing, its clichés and its habitual story beats

Destructoid review
https://www.destructoid.com/review-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-454998.phtml

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy proves that Naughty Dog doesn't need Drake to keep this series going. It's familiar in just about every respect, but given how much refinement has slowly crept up since 2007, it's cemented itself as one of the most reliable action-adventure franchises in recent years

Is it me, or do WAAAAAAAAY too many games get 9's for reviews.

A 9/10 should be almost perfection, and rarely issued. Gaming reviews are stupid to me these days, they all feel arbitrary and made up.

Personally, I feel the Uncharted formula is close to perfect (for me) as-is, so I'm okay with more of the same. A 9/10 is generous for the 6th very similar game in a series, though.
At the same time, I don't want them to mess with what they have.

A 9/10 should be almost perfection, and rarely issued. Gaming reviews are stupid to me these days, they all feel arbitrary and made up.

IGN gave it an 7.5 if that helps.

6th game? I'm only counting 5, including this. I have the Nathan Drake Collection (1-3) and then Uncharted 4. Which one am I missing?

Personally, I feel the Uncharted formula is close to perfect (for me) as-is, so I'm okay with more of the same. A 9/10 is generous for the 6th very similar game in a series, though.
At the same time, I don't want them to mess with what they have.

6th game? I'm only counting 5, including this. I have the Nathan Drake Collection (1-3) and then Uncharted 4. Which one am I missing?

Guess they are counting Uncharted Golden Abyss for Vita. Even I forgot about that one.

review embargo is up...seems to be getting reviews in the 8-9 range on average...seems like more of the same (for better or worse)...

Eurogamer review
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-17-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-review

Functionally, however, there is next to nothing new. The Lost Legacy is very timid when it comes to experimenting with - or even varying in the slightest - Uncharted's gameplay mix, its pacing, its clichés and its habitual story beats

Destructoid review
https://www.destructoid.com/review-uncharted-the-lost-legacy-454998.phtml

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy proves that Naughty Dog doesn't need Drake to keep this series going. It's familiar in just about every respect, but given how much refinement has slowly crept up since 2007, it's cemented itself as one of the most reliable action-adventure franchises in recent years

What I was hoping and expecting to see by and large. Looking forward to it.

Guess they are counting Uncharted Golden Abyss for Vita. Even I forgot about that one.

That's the one. It's a full-on Uncharted game, roughly 75% as long as the original. It's easily the "worst" game in the series, but it's still quite good.

A 9/10 should be almost perfection, and rarely issued.

Indeed, which pretty much any Naughty Dog game in the last decade deserves (if not higher). If the Lost Legacy is more of the same of Uncharted 4 gameplay with different characters in a different environment, then it deserves a 9/10 at least, IMO. Esp. considering it's only $40 at launch.

Wish they gave a discount to PS Plus subscribers though like they are with the Horizon DLC.

Edit: Just watched IGN's review and I can agree with their complaints about restrictions in their new open environment area if they're as pronounced as they say. But even so that seemed to be the only knock they had on the game, so an 8/10 seemed more adequate at worst.

Either way I just pre-ordered it on PSN and will pre-load it as soon as I can.

Last edited:

I don't pay attention to the numerical number given out but more to the actual details in the review in regards to gameplay, graphics, audio, atmosphere etc...there are only 3-4 go-to review sites that I really pay attention to (Eurogamer being one of them)

Naughty Dog games have been so good for so long that people take it for granted and are looking for any flaw...they deserve a 9/10 for the photo-realistic facial animations/character models alone...the overall detail in the environment is also very impressive

Yeah, I can't see how this can get anything less than a 9/10. I'm a die-hard PC gamer and picked up the Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle a few months ago heavily discounted. I don't get much gaming time these days but after popping in the Nathan Drake Collection, I couldn't stop playing them. I played through those 3 games (about 10 hours each) in a 2 week span in the evenings. Then I played through Uncharted 4. I thought the first 3 were spectacular; but whoa, 4 is incredible. I know it's dumb fun, the puzzles aren't difficult. I get that. But being pulled into an intense, beautiful action/adventure game (essentially the hero in an action movie) has been one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my life. If this new release is "more of the same", then sign me up! I can't wait.

I don't pay attention to the numerical number given out but more to the actual details in the review in regards to gameplay, graphics, audio, atmosphere etc...there are only 3-4 go-to review sites that I really pay attention to (Eurogamer being one of them)

Naughty Dog games have been so good for so long that people take it for granted and are looking for any flaw...they deserve a 9/10 for the photo-realistic facial animations/character models alone...the overall detail in the environment is also very impressive

It's a game not a movie. You give something almost perfection fir a graphical feature?

That's part of the problem.

Pretty sure if you bought the Season Pass for Uncharted 4 you still get this. At least that's what ND initially said.
Either way, I'm pumped for this. More Uncharted is always a good thing. Even though Drake's story is essentially over, ND did a good job with giving us just a tiny bit of info for a bunch of characters.
I can see them doing more games like this featuring Sully, Charlie, Eddie, etc.

Oh man, it'd be so cool to see Sully's story. I'm in as fuck.

It's a game not a movie. You give something almost perfection fir a graphical feature?

That's part of the problem.

The only problem, or potential problem, is not giving this game the praise it deserves. This game is quite near perfect, let's stop beating around the bush. I'm sure we'd all agree here, it's got fantastic graphics that push the system to its edge, fantastic sound design, top-fucking-notch voice acting, animations, world, story. What's there to really gripe about? In a world where EA and Activision rain down piles of shit, ND stands out far above them.

Last edited:
no one playing this?

Playing it right now. Gonna be hard to not want to beat it in one sitting with how (relatively) short it is. I'll def post back later about it later, but it's an Uncharted game, so you can bet it's definitely worth playing/buying.

I got it via the Season Pass (it DID work) but haven't had a chance to play it much thanks to work. I fired it up and noticed that the HDR effect is better than in Uncharted 4. It's not longer washed out looking. More audio options, too. I hope to put some serious time in over the weekend.

How long is it exactly? 1/2 the length of 4 or more/less?

I got it via the Season Pass (it DID work) but haven't had a chance to play it much thanks to work. I fired it up and noticed that the HDR effect is better than in Uncharted 4. It's not longer washed out looking. More audio options, too. I hope to put some serious time in over the weekend.

How long is it exactly? 1/2 the length of 4 or more/less?

Seems like most are beating it in around 6 hours with maybe an extra hour if you search out all of the collectible coin pieces. I played it for a few hours last night and have collected about half of the collectable coin things and did like 2/4 of the temples for the story, so that seems about right to me as well.

Story seems decent so far.. it's kinda hard to tell when this game is happening chronologically in the Uncharted series though. I thought initially it was well before Uncharted 4, but Chloe mentions Nathan's brother appearing out of nowhere in a side conversation with Nadine, so that confused me. It doesn't make sense that this game would take place during the events in Uncharted 4 if Nadine is here hanging out with Chloe in India while also conspiring against Nate across the world during the Uncharted 4 game. Maybe it will clarify later though.

Otherwise it has been pretty standard fare for Uncharted; excellent production values and game play so far and the puzzles have been adequate as well without being too difficult or easy. The only thing it is missing so far is a huge action set piece that the games are known for. But again I'm only about half way through the game and I expect there will be one near the end.

Last edited:
Story seems decent so far.. it's kinda hard to tell when this game is happening chronologically in the Uncharted series though. I thought initially it was well before Uncharted 4, but Chloe mentions Nathan's brother appearing out of nowhere in a side conversation with Nadine, so that confused me. It doesn't make sense that this game would take place during the events in Uncharted 4 if Nadine is here hanging out with Chloe in India while also conspiring against Nate across the world during the Uncharted 4 game. Maybe it will clarify later though.

Game is set 6 months after Uncharted 4.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Beat it yesterday. Took me right at 8 hours and I collected all of the coins and got the bracelet that glows/vibrates when you're near other hidden collectables along the way.

It was nice seeing Sam again near the end of the game and that he had much more than a cameo appearance as well. The train section was pretty reminisce of Uncharted 2's train scene, but different enough to make it unique and fun still.

I thought the "open world" map would pretty much be most of the game, but I was surprised at how much game there was left after I left that section; probably 2-3 hours worth your first time through. Definitely had fun though and worth $40, esp. if you're already a fan of the series.

I got about an hour to play last night. The graphics are pretty amazing in both the cut scenes and the normal game. Much like Uncharted 4, something about the framerate hurts my eyes, though. Turning motion blur down to 4-5 helps, but there's something they're doing in those two games that feels like the image is always flashing or something. Still, I like playing them so much I'm just willing to deal with it. With U4 it just took about a week to adjust to it.
It feels like more of the same, but I'm cool with that. The settings are different enough to stay fresh and I always liked Chloe as a character.

Finished it. 9.5/10. Took me about 9 hours to beat. Comparable to Uncharted 2 in terms of gameplay, storyline and the OMGRAFIX are fantastic in this one. With HDR / 4K tv set you are in for a treat. I absolutely loved it. Game runs smooth for me so nothing hurt my eyes.
Definitely worth a purchase.

I haven't won it yet, but I'm not really feeling the greatness. I just completed the large area with the jeep. I never really liked the open parts of Uncharted 4 and it feels like this game is heavily focused on that. I'd rather have a linear/focused approach like in the earlier games. The shootouts are large and offer lots of options, although Nadine's AI is almost too good. Unlike Sully and Elena who barely seemed to hurt anything, Nadine will actually wipe entire platoons out by herself. By the time I find cover and pick out some setups Nadine has killed half the enemies for me.
Unless the final sections offer something particularly great I dunno I'd I'd even give the game an 8.

Finished it. 9.5/10. Took me about 9 hours to beat. Comparable to Uncharted 2 in terms of gameplay, storyline and the OMGRAFIX are fantastic in this one. With HDR / 4K tv set you are in for a treat. I absolutely loved it. Game runs smooth for me so nothing hurt my eyes.
Definitely worth a purchase.

That's awesome, exactly what I was looking for in this thread. I'm in for another week and a half of studying every single day for my certs, otherwise I'd be all over this. For me, the released of an Uncharted game means putting every other game in the queue on the back burner, and finishing it immediately.

I haven't won it yet, but I'm not really feeling the greatness. I just completed the large area with the jeep. I never really liked the open parts of Uncharted 4 and it feels like this game is heavily focused on that. I'd rather have a linear/focused approach like in the earlier games. The shootouts are large and offer lots of options, although Nadine's AI is almost too good. Unlike Sully and Elena who barely seemed to hurt anything, Nadine will actually wipe entire platoons out by herself. By the time I find cover and pick out some setups Nadine has killed half the enemies for me.
Unless the final sections offer something particularly great I dunno I'd I'd even give the game an 8.

I kinda felt the same way... until I got past the open map area. The 2-3 hours afterwards are all traditional Uncharted goodness.

Yeah the open map was boring. Just a bunch of fetch quests and the scenery, while beautiful, is all the same. There is nothing fun about driving from point A to B to C to D to do nothing but collect tokens. The puzzles added a little variety, but still, it got old quick.

Graphics are absolutely nuts though. As KickAssCop mentioned, play this on a 4K HDR set and you are in for a treat.

Unlike the normal Uncharted 4 game, the red spectrum no longer look washed out in HDR mode. I don't know if HDR brings that much to the table most of the time, but it's neat with fire and sunlight effects.

Just beat it. Loved the ending! Action packed, charming, and leaves a smile on your face in typical Uncharted fashion.

Huge issue though, there were major, MAJOR frame drops at the end chase sequence. I'm talking single digit FPS to the point where I thought the game was just going to choke and crash. Seemed to trigger when jumping from the train to the jeeps. It did resolve itself, but it was very game breaking as it was happening.

Hmmm. No FPS drops on my end. I'm on a PS4 Pro...wonder if that helped? I also have motion blur totally disabled as well.

I have to admit that the game got MUCH better after the open world stuff was over. It was worth tracking down all the misc. disks to get the treasure alert item, so at least it wasn't a waste of time.
The graphics are easily the best part of the game. While it's 30fps, I don't think there's a game (including on the PC) that's even in the same ballpark. Plus, the ability to slowly approach and eventually interact with huge statues and objects makes it all the more impressive.

The gameplay probably needs a fresh start of some kind. It's still great, but you've already seen and done it all by this point. LL doesn't add much of anything new and the train stuff is pretty damned unimaginative. The shootouts aren't as epic as the ones from 2 and 3, but at least one of the later areas is pretty challenging thanks to some psychic chopper gunfire.

I'd say it's overpriced ($30 is fair, but $40 is steep), a hair short, and more of the same...but it's still really good and fun. I still don't think it's worth more than an 8. Fact, I'd just give it an 8.0 outright.

how does it compare to Uncharted 4 (which I thought was a bit disappointing story wise but had amazing graphics)?

how does it compare to Uncharted 4 (which I thought was a bit disappointing story wise but had amazing graphics)?

In some ways it's better (I like the pacing) but it's much shorter and there is less depth to it. It's only roughly 1/2 the length of Uncharted 4 and there aren't any large sections that revolve around conversations like the houses in Uncharted 4. It also feels like you solve the same rotating puzzles over and over. They follow the theme of the game, but they become tiresome. Shootout-wise, there are a few good ones but they're more of an afterthought. Plus, Nadine is a killing machine compared to Sully/Elena...until she isn't. In last 2-3 shootouts your companion(s) are all but worthless.

The story isn't particularly deep, nor does it feel as "epic" as any previous games. The villain is a bit of an afterthought and they occasionally name drop him just so you don't forget he's still out there. Yet the environments are as impressive as they've ever been. Like #4, there are no supernatural forces at work. I know a lot of people didn't like that with the earlier games.

When it's all said and done, the game is fun and it's well written. It's more of the same, but that "same" has been responsible for some of the best games of all time. I think they can probably squeeze one more game out with the current formula before they get major pushback. A Sully spin off can likely follow suit, but no more without an overhaul.

Back