Unboxing a Brand-New CRT Monitor in 2017

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The author of Lazy Game Reviews has gotten his hands on a ViewSonic Optiquest Q71, which happens to be a CRT (remember those?) from 2001. Evidently, the monitor still performs beautifully and demonstrates how many of us saw Windows 98. I don’t miss the imperfect geometry and weight, but tubes are still neat for retro gaming.

Always like my Viewsonic CRT's, had a bunch of them and they always lasted well.

I found a Dell crt that appeared to be new in box. Still haven't gotten around to playing with it. For retro gaming, crts really are better.

After lifting an sgi 21 inch crt recently, I do not miss the weight. At all.

Lgr is still a cool dude.

Last edited:
I had that exact monitor and loved it. It had a short back so, it saved me lots of space on my desk.

Windows 2000 was a terrible OS for a gaming machine. 98SE FTW.
I was a beta tester for Windows 2000 and had zero problems. Played HL1, C&C Renegade (I realize this came out after the retail release but I still used Win2k at the time) and various RTS games daily. MS even gave all of us a sealed retail copy as a thank you. Good luck ever seen in that happen again.

Would love to build a retro sleeper with 98 on a VM. Wish Model Ms weren't so expensive these days.

This guy always has something entertaining to make a video of. I recommend anyone who is old enough to remember what a 486 was watch his other videos. Been following these for years.

2000? No, most people were not running windows 2000 professional. Plus, drivers were a massive pain in the ass due to the HAL interfering with shit. Before xp launched, the bulk of people were definitely running 98.
W2K was terrible at home. Loads of compatibility issues with games, and lack of proper drivers for most sound cards. By the time XP came out proper drivers started to emerge so it was possible to game on that platform. But I held fast to 98 (non se, as SE never worked well for me) And I'm not saying that because I was ignorant of 2K.I tried almost every version including RCs and Betas and eventially the final, I gave a go to SP1 or SP2 too.

I was a beta tester for Windows 2000 and had zero problems. Played HL1, C&C Renegade (I realize this came out after the retail release but I still used Win2k at the time) and various RTS games daily. MS even gave all of us a sealed retail copy as a thank you. Good luck ever seen in that happen again.
I remember my sound card at the time went berserk, Interstate 76' wouldn't run properly on it. That was enough for me to instantly dislike it. It was "THE GAME" at the time.

I remember my desktop bowing more and more under the weight. Lol. Wound up reinforcing with a piece of wood.

Ahh memories!

Always like my Viewsonic CRT's, had a bunch of them and they always lasted well.

Still have a couple that work fine, including my original Viewsonic 17 with a 1987 manufacture date.

I really need to drag them out of the house and get them to recycling....

Hmmm not really I have more game run better under W2K then 98SE even Glide game

Windows 2000 didn't support the newest version of DirectX when released so it did have gaming issues. They fixed that in SP4 if I recall correctly.

Hey, we have a bunch of those on the shelf at work here still ;)

Optiquest.jpeg
Viewsonics.jpeg

2000? No, most people were not running windows 2000 professional.

I too beta-tested Windows 2000 - I may even still have the Beta CDs somewhere - and it caused me to drop OS/2 pretty much immediately. That must have been some time in '98. I had zero hardware problems with Windows 2000 and my games ran just fine.

Should have unboxed a Sony Trinitron or a Diamondtron monitor.

These were the monitors that earned Sony it's reputation. They were tanks, tanks that had the unquestioned best picture and longevity. I hauled my 19" monster around for years.

These were the monitors that earned Sony it's reputation. They were tanks, tanks that had the unquestioned best picture and longevity. I hauled my 19" monster around for years.
I just bought a Trinitron 35"? TV for a retro gaming system :D

I still use mine today for a few things, I just can't see myself getting rid of it when it still works great and I have the room to keep it. :D

P1110.jpg

I miss CRT performance ... it was a much superior monitor for gaming on due to lack of motion blur. Took so long to get used to LCDs and not being able to read names over players heads in MMOs when moving the camera.

The Q71 was one of my favorite monitors. There are times when I still miss CRTs because LCDs to me while sharper just lack the wider range of color/contrast - especially when playing older games like Max Payne, Q3, UT, etc - they look horrible on my flat screen.

Na we would of been running Windows ME! Oh wait.... :ROFLMAO:

Believe it or not back when the 1.6GHz Northwood came out I was very much into overclocking as I'm sure many of us were - back when 3dMark2000 was the thing I was able to just score over 16,000 with it using WindowsME and a Geforce2 Ultra - Windows 95, 98, and 2000 all blue screened at the point where WindowsME just dealt with the inherent instability of having the 1.6 almost ~2.8GHz. A lot of people hated WinME but I really never had issues with it <shrugs>.

Last edited:
Back