Unannounced Blizzard Game Revealed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our friends at Blue's News have rounded up a bunch of info on "Blizzard's next awesome game." The company is looking for a Lead Producer and a 3D Weapons Artist for the upcoming game. Hit the link for all the info.

He links to this job listing which calls this an "unannounced game title," and states it's in the works with a small development team, similar to their upcoming Hearthstone. Blizzplanet notes that another help wanted for the same project seeks a 3D weapons artist, so we know there will be combat. Here's all they say about the game for now: "We can’t tell you exactly what the game is yet, but trust us, it’s awesome."

uh huh....

*crickets*

burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice shame on me.
No thanks blizzard. We saw what you did with D3.

uh huh....

*crickets*

Beat me to it. Fuck off, Blizzard. Bring us an updated, no-internet-connection-required version of Diablo 2 with the expansion for a cheap price, and MAYBE we can talk.

I think it's hilarious how such a renowned company, with a yearly fucking convention, comes out with such awful shit now.

people on this forum are so quick to turn on a developer...Ubisoft, EA, id Software etc get such bad raps...a bad game or 2 shouldn't negate their legacy...I'm looking forward to seeing what Blizzard comes up with...might be crap, might be great but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...they've earned it

Plot twist:

3D Weapons artist's work will be displayed in-game as mere decoration, no usable or functional weapon coding.

if only

I like Blizzard, but after D3.....I'll wait and see. They are no longer a top tier game company to me, but I haven't written them off......yet.

people on this forum are so quick to turn on a developer...Ubisoft, EA, id Software etc get such bad raps...a bad game or 2 shouldn't negate their legacy...I'm looking forward to seeing what Blizzard comes up with...might be crap, might be great but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...they've earned it

I think the developers' you mentioned dug their respective graves. Especially EA.......I was foolish enough to pre-order the Sims, got burned there, and then (shame on me) pre-ordered BF4 as well. Which is another train wreck from the great minds at EA.

I'd rather spend 5 bucks on some dog shit in a shoe box than buy another EA game. They've even lost me on Madden at this point. Fuck youuuuuuuu shitty developers.

IDK how anyone even enjoyed D2 offline. It was boring as all hell, the only way it was even remotely fun was online,

Other than SC2, I don't think they have made a top quality game since LoD/Broodwar. Even WoW, to me, is a mixed bag. So, it's been over a decade since they've earned it IMO.

Universe of Starcraft

Because when you run out of land on the world. You have to move on.

It isn't just that they a release bad game. All companies have at some point. It is the attitude companies get when they know they are releasing a bad game, take money for it and then try to tell us we are "holding it wrong."

Perfect example right now is X: Rebirth. The game is a disaster, but the head of Egosoft is doing interviews talking about how great it is and basically telling the community that there are just a few bugs and that all the real problems are actually the players' fault and not problems with the game. That is the kind of stuff that makes me not want to deal with a developer again.

I think the developers' you mentioned dug their respective graves. Especially EA.......I was foolish enough to pre-order the Sims, got burned there, and then (shame on me) pre-ordered BF4 as well. Which is another train wreck from the great minds at EA.

you're confusing the developer with the publisher (which is what a lot of people seem to do)...Battlefield 4's issues are mainly DICE's fault but people vent there rage at EA...same with the Sims games where Maxis is the developer

Other than SC2, I don't think they have made a top quality game since LoD/Broodwar. Even WoW, to me, is a mixed bag. So, it's been over a decade since they've earned it IMO.

Blizzard doesn't release a game that often (not including expansions)...so to say that they haven't released a top quality game in over a decade is a bit misleading...no one can deny that the Warcraft ip is a massive success no matter how you look at it

It isn't just that they a release bad game. All companies have at some point. It is the attitude companies get when they know they are releasing a bad game, take money for it and then try to tell us we are "holding it wrong."

Eh? In the case of Blizzard and D3, they've admitted of poor design decisions and are even going so far as to remove the RM/AH altogether. But as predicted, the circlejerk response from many people here was, "They're just doing that because the RMAH was actually BAD for business and they want more moneeeh! They're not doing this for us, those greedy bastards."

Anyway, I enjoyed the time I spent on D3 regardless of all the flaws (many of which I don't give two shits about like offline mode) and the direction of the expac is very intriguing. I'm eager to see what this "new game" is about too.

Diablo 3 was an utter middle finger of a game. It was not merely disappointing or underwhelming, but awful.

Checked out Path of Exile?

Nah. I know there are plenty of Action RPGs but I don't want one that's online-only. I often don't have internet connectivity for my laptop even when I can use the laptop itself, so offline modes in games still have value for me...or at least single-player modes that don't suffer from lag.

Eh? In the case of Blizzard and D3, they've admitted of poor design decisions and are even going so far as to remove the RM/AH altogether

I will play the bad guy here but there are rumors that the entire reason the RMAH is being removed is because you can use Blizz bucks to buy Hearthstone cards. I think you will see that the Hearthstone release/open beta will happen around the same time that the RMAH disappears.

I will play the bad guy here but there are rumors that the entire reason the RMAH is being removed is because you can use Blizz bucks to buy Hearthstone cards. I think you will see that the Hearthstone release/open beta will happen around the same time that the RMAH disappears.

I wouldn't doubt it. They've proven time and time again it's only about the money.

Beat me to it. Fuck off, Blizzard. Bring us an updated, no-internet-connection-required version of Diablo 2 with the expansion for a cheap price, and MAYBE we can talk.

Right, because requiring online connectivity to play a game focused on multiplayer was really what was wrong with D3.

Not the AH/RMAH
Not the damn gold farmers and spammers
Not the lack of PVP
Not the constant nerfing of gold drops as their only lame means to fight the farmers
Not the piss poor balance between classes(DH glass cannon, WD being pointless beyond a couple of base abilities, wizard being a tank).
Not the idiotic itemization that pushed some blues to be on par or better than a lot of yellow and even some orange items. Or that most of the legendaries were just crap in the first place.
Not the idiotic item drops so you were guaranteed to get pretty much diddly after the first time you killed a boss
Not the idiotic crafting system so odds are a piece of gear isn't usable for your toon.
Not the constant nerfs to random chests making crap like the staff to open the ponyland(I can't remember what the hell it was called) completely pointless even on inferno difficulty.
Not the moronic scaling that penalized you by increasing monster dmg output AND monster HP to idiotic levels on infernfo if you tried playing multiplayer(seriously, it was easier to just play that single player. Kind of dumb in a multiplayer game).

Nope. Couldn't possibly be that list I just gave and dozens of other smaller problems that led to the game being a steaming pile, it was just the damned online requirement. Really? ffs.

Hearthstone is great. Diablo 3 is steadily improving and RoS looks to fix a lot of problems the game has.

SC2 is actually the game that's disappointed me the most. Blizzard dropped the ball with WCS and the game isn't in any better shape than it was at the end of WoL. Its too bad because I thought it was going to be the king of esports back in 2011. Too bad their game design leads to a stale meta once the game is figured out. Now I'm all about DOTA 2, a much more interesting and complex game.

Hearthstone gives me the most faith in Blizzard right now. It is super fun, easy for noobs to pick up, complex enough to stay interesting for experienced CCG players, and it is free to play done right.

Blizzard and Diablo 3 was the poster child for bad decisions and pure greed in the world of pc gaming.

Quality wise, the Blizzard of 2013 doesn't approach the Blizzard of 2003.

Right, because requiring online connectivity to play a game focused on multiplayer was really what was wrong with D3.

Not the AH/RMAH
Not the damn gold farmers and spammers
Not the lack of PVP
Not the constant nerfing of gold drops as their only lame means to fight the farmers
Not the piss poor balance between classes(DH glass cannon, WD being pointless beyond a couple of base abilities, wizard being a tank).
Not the idiotic itemization that pushed some blues to be on par or better than a lot of yellow and even some orange items. Or that most of the legendaries were just crap in the first place.
Not the idiotic item drops so you were guaranteed to get pretty much diddly after the first time you killed a boss
Not the idiotic crafting system so odds are a piece of gear isn't usable for your toon.
Not the constant nerfs to random chests making crap like the staff to open the ponyland(I can't remember what the hell it was called) completely pointless even on inferno difficulty.
Not the moronic scaling that penalized you by increasing monster dmg output AND monster HP to idiotic levels on infernfo if you tried playing multiplayer(seriously, it was easier to just play that single player. Kind of dumb in a multiplayer game).

Nope. Couldn't possibly be that list I just gave and dozens of other smaller problems that led to the game being a steaming pile, it was just the damned online requirement. Really? ffs.

clearly none of this is hyperbolic

It's like no one on this forum has heard of Heroes of the Storm. I've played it, has lots of promise.

And to say D3 was so bad is just being butt hurt. Yes it missed the mark, but was still a lot of fun to play. The AH is what hurt the game.

people on this forum are so quick to turn on a developer...Ubisoft, EA, id Software etc get such bad raps...a bad game or 2 shouldn't negate their legacy...

But thats exactly it! their last two games were the only things they released in TEN YEARS.

Starcraft 2 and diablo 3.

(you can count expansions if you want to WoW and SC2.... but not really... and their expansions also sucked).

SC1/BW WC3/TFT, D2/LOD, all great games. SC2? didn't feel like it was made by the same company. And diablow 3?... well... yeah.

Sure their legacy is great. but if you haven't made ANYTHING worthwhile in 10 years, I don't think you have much to offer anymore.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Blizzard is dead and buried and has been so since the departure of Blizzard North. Let's call this company Activision exclusively from now on.

uh huh....

*crickets*

I'd actually say, burn you once and shame on you. I never pre-order game and wait a week or two for lots of reviews. I'll hand my money over when I have a good idea of what I'm buying and I can see the finished product. Until then, you can pretty much FO. If the game publishers don't like my stance I could give less than a shit, as the consumer I'm the one holding all of the cards - they need my money more than I need their game.

Wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be a multiplayer FPS games to compete with CoD/BF. Blizzard seem to be trying to expand their lineup in every direction. They already have a title for MMO, ARPG, RTS, card game, MOBA. The remaining popular genre would be multiplayer shooter.

Eh? In the case of Blizzard and D3, they've admitted of poor design decisions and are even going so far as to remove the RM/AH altogether. But as predicted, the circlejerk response from many people here was, "They're just doing that because the RMAH was actually BAD for business and they want more moneeeh! They're not doing this for us, those greedy bastards."

Anyway, I enjoyed the time I spent on D3 regardless of all the flaws (many of which I don't give two shits about like offline mode) and the direction of the expac is very intriguing. I'm eager to see what this "new game" is about too.

They're doing it to try to win back some PR points. They've realized that their core fan base is (was) the pillar of their success, and that bandwagon morons who know nothing but WoW on will not ensure their longevity. They've done a careful cost/benefit analysis and determined that the cost of the RMAH to their reputation is more significant than the lost revenue. It has nothing to do with Blizzard caring about gamers. Blizzard is a profit-driven corporate sell-out which has whored out its most precious asset, amazing history and intellectual property, to the likes of fucking Activision. I was a rabid Blizzard fan because they made great games, and extracting every last dollar wasn't priority numbero uno. No longer.

My comment did not intend to imply that the requirement of an internet connection was the only issue, only what I wanted in return for even looking at what they have to offer. Settle down, Touchy Terrence.

users don't know about itemization.
nostalgia kicking in.
fuck that loser.
Deep storyline.
blame mass hacking on users. (authenticator where?)

They've only changed their stance when they had to start marketing for the expansion.

you're confusing the developer with the publisher (which is what a lot of people seem to do)...Battlefield 4's issues are mainly DICE's fault but people vent there rage at EA...same with the Sims games where Maxis is the developer

Blizzard doesn't release a game that often (not including expansions)...so to say that they haven't released a top quality game in over a decade is a bit misleading...no one can deny that the Warcraft ip is a massive success no matter how you look at it

Well lets see then(not counting expansions and re-releases)

Lost Vikings, 1992
Rock n Roll Racing 1993
Blackthorne 1994
Warcraft 1994
Warcraft 2 1995
Diablo 1996
Lost Vikings 2 1997
Starcraft 1998
?1999
Diablo 2 2000
? 2001
Warcraft 3 2002
? 2003
World of Warcraft 2004
? 2005
? 2006
? 2007
? 2008
? 2009
Starcraft 2 2010
? 2011
Diablo 3 2012
? 2013

So yeah, this idea that blizzard spends years and years to actually release games(yes, I know there are some expansions) only comes after WoW. Prior to WoW they were releasing a game every 1-2 years, not that there was a problem with that pace.

So if we just look at what blizzard has released since WoW, all we get is SC2, and D3. That's it. Ghost would have been in the gap between WoW and SC2, but it got canned. D3 still has problems over a year later, and long after a very large chunk of players quit(which became real obvious in the first 3 months) and they've been trying to put bandaid after bandaid on Diablo 3. SC2 wasn't necessarily crap, but it wasn't mindblowingly amazing either and will not have the longevity that SC1 and SC:BW did considering SC1 actually had competition in the RTS genre that SC2 doesn't really have today. Even WoW, that has been their bread and butter for the bulk of the past decade has a subscriber count that is a shadow of what it used to be(even though it's still currently pretty damned big), and that can easily be partially attributed to the market, but so what? What else has blizzard been up to?

A TCG featuring a pay2win option, and a MOBA(I guess that's the acronym for it?) that is nothing more than a clone, of a clone, that was originally a custom map for one of their own RTS games that they've completely ignored for the past few years.

For a company fueled by the cash cow of WoW, to not be able to get the resources to actually get more than 2 games out the door(and one of those in an extremely shitty state) just REEKS of piss poor management. What changed? Oh yeah, Activision. Do I also need to remind you of the original moronic proposal for their RealID crap after bnet 2.0? That they've just not bothered with their own convention twice(because they had nothing to announce)?

So yeah, it's pretty easy to say that blizzard hasn't managed to do much very well for almost 10 years now.

Back