Unable to uninstall an app using the windows app manager

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I just did a reinstall of windows and did the upgrade from 10 to 11.

I reinstalled the Phase One Capture One photo editing software which I've used for years. But I get an error message when I try to validate my account when I launch it. Phase One Tech Support suggested uninstalling it. Problem is when I try to do so from within windows apps manager nothing happens when I click uninstall. Well there's a very very brief command window that flashes up and then disappears more quickly than I can read. I have rebooted several times and trier several times to uninstall the app But the same thing happens every time.

I was able to uninstall another app in Windows so I don't think there's something wrong with my Windows it's more that this capture one app just won't uninstall. Not sure how to solve this I've emailed their support but does anyone else have suggestions?

Launch the installer for the app - often times (but not always) they'll include an uninstall option in there, too.

Launch the installer for the app - often times (but not always) they'll include an uninstall option in there, too.
Well that's the problem the installer prompts me to verify my account which happens online and I do that successfully on line but then the installer throws an error this is all happening on the splash screen before I can access any controls

Do you have the ability to just go in and delete the folder it normally installs into? Delete anything named after the company/app in your 3 AppData folders (Local, LocalLow, Roaming), too. From there, use something like CCleaner to purge all the related stuff in the registry. At that point Windows will tell you that there's no uninstaller available (if you try to to uninstall it again). From there, almost anything that isn't a system-level driver should be totally gone. Reinstalling at that point is like a fresh install.

Thanks will try that if it comes to it. Waiting to hear back from their support To see if a successful install as admin would allow me to Install it again without uninstalling it 1st

Windows currently has two ways to uninstall apps. You can do it via the "Apps" section of "Settings", or you can do it via the legacy "Programs and Features" control panel app. Have you tried both ways?

programs2ways.jpg

I use CCLeaner 'Uninstall' page to remove unwanted Windows 10/11 "Apps". It removes the ones that cannot be removed by the normal remove menu in Apps.

Oh, one last thing. I know it's dumb but you have to make sure the apps are fully installed before you uninstall them -especially after a clean install.

If the OS has triggered to install or update an app, but you uninstall them first before it finishes, the updates will still end up installing making it seem like the uninstall didn't work.

So my recommendation is go into the MSFT App store and make sure all updates are applied, then use whatever tool to uninstall them.

Oh, one last thing. I know it's dumb but you have to make sure the apps are fully installed before you uninstall them -especially after a clean install.

If the OS has triggered to install or update an app, but you uninstall them first before it finishes, the updates will still end up installing making it seem like the uninstall didn't work.

So my recommendation is go into the MSFT App store and make sure all updates are applied, then use whatever tool to uninstall them.
Yes I was not able to fully install the product because it didn't accept my credentials so I never got past the/screen

Back