Unable to Share C Drive in Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Ira, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Ira

Ira n00b

I have 2 computers I am networking together. Both are on a wireless network and using XP Pro with SP1. I can see box 1's C drive in box 2, but when I click on it, it says I don't have rights for it. I am trying to set it up so I can read/write box 1 from box 2, but would like to have it protected by a password in order to write it. Again, my problem now is that I can't open the C drive even though I can see it and open the shared files. I did shut off the "simple file sharing" on box 1 so I could share the C.

Can someone please help me to get this going? Thanks.

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

You want identicle accounts on each computer, so they can authenticate comparing local user accounts.

Meaning, if you log onto computer 1 as username "Ira" with a password of "banana"...then add that same user/password to the local users of Computer 2. And visa versa.

Now, I'll insert the appropriate warning of "On Windows NT systems, never ever share out the entire %system% partition, or the Windows directory, or Program Files. Tis better to create a folder like "Stuff" or whatever, and share that out. Or share out the My Documents directory, or a second hard drive.

And it'd be a good idea to follow "safe and responsible computing" by running windows updates, getting SP2 and others on there.