Unable to reach one specific URL, from other locations URL is working fine

Operations

n00b
I have got my own Nextcloud installation (installed locally). Which is working fine, has been for several months.
Since about two weeks my uncle is not able to reach the address by browser. I have tried several (clean installed) browsers and also more than one computer from his location. Also from his iphone it is also not working (by cellular network it is working)

The browser keeps saying "Cannot find this page".

I have tried several DNS servers (Cloudflare, Google, OpenDNS, ISP DNS)

I am able to ping the address.
I am able to run a tracert which comes back to the right IP.

Like i said before the Nextcloud is reachable from multiple other locations so the problem is most likely local. But any ideas?
It looks like something is wrong with the internet connection (as in common denominator, 2 computers + 1 iphone) but every other URL is working fine. It is really only my Nextcloud URL.

For privacy reason i will keep the URL to myself, i someone really thinks he needs it to be able to help i am willing to send him the URL in a more private way.

I, personally, wouldn't host a private cloud outside of a private VPN. If you need to share this private cloud with family members - setup a VPN server / endpoint and give them a login to it so they will essentially be on your network. For one you can control DNS, IP addressing, etc. Keep them firewalled off from your own PCs so there isn't a problem with them infecting your personal computers with their malware. It's not too difficult to setup.

As for the problem at hand, it could be a myriad of problems. Try a teamviewer session to one of his computers to see if you can replicate the issue and perform other troubleshooting.

@jamesir, thanks for your reply. I use a seperate vLAN for this Nextcloud host.You should always use a different vLAN for servers/services that are reachable by internet. This vLAN used for reachable servers/services is (often) called your DMZ.

And no this is NOT the same as the function DMZ on a consumer router, they misuse the term. DMZ on consumer routers (almost always) means a device (which you select by the internal IP address) which is completly open to the internet.
So it is impossible to reach my (or other) network devices in my network.

I have solved the problem this morning, Fail2ban had put the IP address on REJECT. After removing the IP address from the REJECT list everything is working fine again.

Last edited:
Back