Unable to OC beyond 4.8GHz on water with 4790k

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I work for a company developing a line of custom waterblocks and we're currently testing some examples with a Devil's Canyon 4790K i7 chip.

My job so far has been to boost clock speed so that we can gather CPU temperatures across a variety of blocks but getting any stability above 4.8GHz has so far proved impossible. Auto voltage to 4.8 was pretty easy, but as soon as I boosted the multiplier to 49, even manually boosting voltage to crazy levels didn't produce a stable system with IntelBurnTest (boots to Windows every time).

From what I've read, 4.9 GHz seems to be a very tough level to crack, with most users reporting 4.7 or 4.8 limits. Are the odds of a 5.0+ capable chip that slim or is there something I may be missing? Some reports seem to have 1.5V Vcore required but I didn't hit that yet (stopped at 1.49 to read more). My method is basically lock the bclk and increment the multiplier, with a related voltage increase. I realize super stable overclocks are as much art as science but it'd be nice to get some stability at a high clock.

I didn't really mess with any of those settings. Looking around online, I see a few people winning the lottery with 5GHz at 1.375V and a few at 5 GHz with 1.55V so I may push the voltage up a little further before declaring an impasse. Temperatures are pretty low with our new block setup so I'll see how it goes.

You can safely put input voltage up to 2.1v or a little more which can help with mega clocking. Lower the cache ratio to eliminate that variable and its own voltage (a.k.a. ring bus) can be 1.2v or a little more. System agent voltage can help with memory clocks or general stability at 1.1v. I also noticed some odd behavior with my Asrock; it will actually ramp up the clock above the targeted maximum momentarily while under load by changing BCLK on its own (100MHz in BIOS). When I was testing at 4.7GHz, it was randomly jumping to 4.9GHz. There is quite a challenge to OCing this platform to the hairy edge.

Last edited:
Back