unable to install Win7 on Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard, latest BIOS (905) installed.
BIOS for ICH10 set to AHCI. Marvell controllers disabled in BIOS. SSD connected to ICH10 port, only other device connected to ICH10 is the DVD-RW. All other HDDs disconnected from SATA.

Windows 7 64bit SP1 install hangs at "Completing Installation..", cold reset boots into Windows 7 but then says that the install didn't complete, to reset the machine and reinstall the OS.

Google says that this issue happens frequently when other devices are connected to SATA, but in my case there aren't any other devices.

Any ideas?
On same computer Win7 installed flawlessly on Crucial M4 SSD a couple of years ago.

Have you tried other installation media? Could be your disc. Try downloading the relevant ISO and then using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool and create a bootable USB drive instead of using a disc. That way you can do the installation without the optical drive plugged in at all.

Have you verified that the 840 works? I mean even the Samsung 840 will have some DOA drives (less than 1% but > 0).

Have you tried other installation media? Could be your disc. Try downloading the relevant ISO and then using the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool and create a bootable USB drive instead of using a disc. That way you can do the installation without the optical drive plugged in at all.

Good suggestion. I am currently installing from USB CDROM to see whether that makes any difference. Will try different media and/or USB stick next.

Have you verified that the 840 works? I mean even the Samsung 840 will have some DOA drives (less than 1% but > 0).

The drive is recognized by the BIOS and then also by the installer. The partitions are created as far as I can tell and the installation proceeds normally through copy, extract, install, update, but then hangs at complete.

Switched the SATA cable for a new one and was able to install onto 840. How bizarre.
Confirmed that cable works fine with old SSD.

I suggest to get rid of the cable. SATA cables are cheap and if there is a problem with it you may sooner or later experience system crashes or freezes.

I suggest to get rid of the cable. SATA cables are cheap and if there is a problem with it you may sooner or later experience system crashes or freezes.

Seconded. I didn't think of the cable. Definitely get rid of that cable if switching it fixed the issue.

Back