Unable to change product key in W10 1809

M76

[H]F Junkie
I just did a fresh install on a notebook, but I'm unable to activate windows.

I didn't enter a product key during installation. But when I checked the activation page after install, for some reason there is a key already entered.

I've tried changing the product key but it refuses to do so, it shows the same key that appeared from nowhere (the last 5 digits at least) I attempted to change the key from gui and command line as well, it still proudly displays the old key, even after rebooting.

What's going on?

Windows saves a signature of your hardware when you activate. If you reinstall with the same hardware and no major changes then when it gets internet access it will reach out and check the activation servers. If your signature matches then it will automatically activate windows.

If you want to upgrade your windows key:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windowscentral.com/how-change-product-key-windows-10?amp
I don't want to upgrade my key, I have an enterprise vl key, that's what I want to use.

I managed to remove the old key by slmgr /upk

But it still won't accept the vl key. Is it possible that ms finally disabled the ability to activate windows 10 with a w7/8 key?

If it was already activated after you reinstalled, why would you want to change the key? There would be no reason to.

I managed to remove the old key by slmgr /upk

But it still won't accept the vl key. Is it possible that ms finally disabled the ability to activate windows 10 with a w7/8 key?

Enterprise VL has never had the ability to use a Windows 7 or 8.1 key for activation.

Back