Unable to Attach Virtual Disk - Server 2k12r2 Storage Spaces

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
After a rather brutal storm here in Central Florida, I had my primary data server/media server shutdown rather ungracefully due to power loss after the UPS battery dwindled.

When I got home, I powered everything up as per the usual and noticed that my storage pool virtual disk did not mount. No big deal this happens from time to time, but when I went to attach the VD it failed.

According to Get-StoragePool, Get-VirtualDisk and -GetPhysicalDisk everything is in good health and operational order, but the damn VD will not attach. I'm running 4x4TB disks in parity for what it's worth.

The Google is failing me big time on this one... does anyone here have any insight or ideas? Since I cant mount the VD I cant run a repair on it or try to rebuild etc.

In the event logs, what kind of errors pertaining to the storage can you find? Unfortunately you might have had a "Storage Space" a.k.a. RAID puncture which can cause this failure to attach. Don't lose hope because I have not been messing with SS for very long so I've got nothing for you but I am curious what your logs show.

In the event logs, what kind of errors pertaining to the storage can you find? Unfortunately you might have had a "Storage Space" a.k.a. RAID puncture which can cause this failure to attach. Don't lose hope because I have not been messing with SS for very long so I've got nothing for you but I am curious what your logs show.

Logs are actually reporting a whole lot of nothing in regards to storage, which makes it even more discouraging..

Edit:
If I try to connect the virtual disk from PowerShell I get a little bit of verbiage but nothing that helps me in searches

"Connect-VirtualDisk : Failed
At line:1 char:1
+ Connect-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName SDOT-VD01
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (StorageWMI:Root/Microsoft/...SFT_VirtualDisk) [Connect-VirtualDisk\, CimException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorID : StorageWMI 4,Connect-VirtualDisk"

Last edited:
Well that's something! I think MS has a ways to go in emulating the "import foreign config" function that dedicated RAID controllers feature but looking at that error, I found a pretty ridiculous resolution though you might tuck it in your bag of tricks if all else fails:

I have repoduced the procedure (2012R2):

1. create a storage pool and create a new virtuall disk

2. shutdown the computer move the disks to another computer then "fix" the virtual disk , please refer to following link:

Windows Server 2012: How to Import a Storage Pool on Another Server

Well that's something! I think MS has a ways to go in emulating the "import foreign config" function that dedicated RAID controllers feature but looking at that error, I found a pretty ridiculous resolution though you might tuck it in your bag of tricks if all else fails:

I have repoduced the procedure (2012R2):

1. create a storage pool and create a new virtuall disk

2. shutdown the computer move the disks to another computer then "fix" the virtual disk , please refer to following link:

Windows Server 2012: How to Import a Storage Pool on Another Server
Trying to import the Pool and Disk was actually on my list of things to try. I'll give that a go today and see what happens.

I really don't want to have to try and recreate all this damn data. (Once everything is settled, I'll be transferring everything to a new machine with hardware RAID capabilities.)

Try taking those 4 disks to another server and attach there once. IDK, VHDs do not like surprise removals/power downs, I lost a VM in a similar situation. VM ran fine, would not back up, would not export, couldn't copy the VHD file off the disk either. That VM was on windows storage spaces. UPS+++.

Back