Unable to access network computer's folders

Farva

Extremely [H]
One of my computers I cannot access the folders. I can view the drives and see all the folders it has, but I am unable to look in those folders. Whether I am using simple file sharing or normal file sharing, I cannot access these folders. This all happened after I switched from Simple File Sharing to normal file sharing.

Both computers have XP SP2.

I've had this problem before and my fix for it was reinstalling XP, but I don't want to do that if I don't need to.

Please read the entire thread. Thanks.

It's a permissions thing. Right click on the folders (from their host machine) and go to Security and Sharing (might be in Properties; been a while since I've used XP). Enable read permissions for Everyone.

That's the thing, Admins, Users, System, and Everyone have Full Control. This is driving me nuts. :(

Weird. I've had similar problems in XP before; my solution was 'go back to simple file sharing' for a long time until I discovered the permissions trick, which always worked for me.

The only other thing I can reccomend is this: Delete the share and recreate it. Occasionally that recursively resets the permissions and clears things up.

Could be an issue with password protected sharing. Make sure both systems have the same username\password setup.

Weird. I've had similar problems in XP before; my solution was 'go back to simple file sharing' for a long time until I discovered the permissions trick, which always worked for me.

The only other thing I can reccomend is this: Delete the share and recreate it. Occasionally that recursively resets the permissions and clears things up.

Neither of those worked. :(

Could be an issue with password protected sharing. Make sure both systems have the same username\password setup.

They do. I always have my systems set this way. Just easier for me to remember things.

This may be obvious, but I couldn't tell from the posts

Have you checked permissions in both the sharing tab, and security tab?

Sorry if redundant...

It's a permissions thing. Right click on the folders (from their host machine) and go to Security and Sharing (might be in Properties; been a while since I've used XP). Enable read permissions for Everyone.

That's the thing, Admins, Users, System, and Everyone have Full Control. This is driving me nuts. :(

This may be obvious, but I couldn't tell from the posts

Have you checked permissions in both the sharing tab, and security tab?

Sorry if redundant...

Yes, redundant. ;)

yes you must check the sharing and security permissions for the folders specified. Also you must be sure that each pc has the same user accounts and are in the same groups. Afterwards log out of each pc and log back on and see what happens. Also see if you have the windows file sharing services installed in your nic properties.

They do. I always have my systems set this way. Just easier for me to remember things.

yes you must check the sharing and security permissions for the folders specified. Also you must be sure that each pc has the same user accounts and are in the same groups. Afterwards log out of each pc and log back on and see what happens. Also see if you have the windows file sharing services installed in your nic properties.

Already tried that. And yes, my computers have been rebooted since this.

I was just talking with Ockie, and he thinks it might be this.

Just talked with another friend, he says yes to it too. Well that sucks for me. :(

Who are you logging in as? Also check what group youre in Im assuming that youre an administrator of your pc. If that dont work, activate the built in administrator account (yes i know that your going to say "My account is an administrator"), but your access tokens just might be fucked up, or the ACL might be fucked of the folder youre having issues with. So, log on with the built in administrator account and see what you can do from there.

Back