Umbra too easy

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Umbra was waaaay to easy. I was lvl 23 at the time on default difficulty, I have me an enchanted sword that does 50 fire damage on strike(only 14 charges though) and I sneak attacked her (x6 damage) and then 2 or 3 more power attacks and she was dead. I mean ya, she had like 500 health or so which I guess is nice, but I expected the best weapon in the game to be a bit harder to obtain. Anyone else agree?

I heard she was hard to kill, but I don't recall having trouble. I rarely use enchanted weapons, just straight combat. Maybe I sniped her from long range... or maybe I just plain whooped her. I don't remember.

I didn't kill her, I had the guards at Imperial City do it for me. :D

I just wanted her sword, but I ended up with a couple house keys and about 3-4k in gold after selling all the loot...

Is she a quest? I found her by accident I guess...took all her armor and sold it, but I dig her sword.

Umbra makes a reappearance in Oblivion? Wasn't aware. Where can I find her specifically?

wait, is she the lady in that one cave thats really strong...
I stumbled upon her as a level 2 ranger and tried to take her on...
needless to say I got owned in the face.

I don't think she scales according to level. So at earlier levels she'd be a PITA to kill. At higher levels she'd probably be relatively easy if you had some fairly high stats.

She's basically just wearing a normal set of Ebony armor from what I can tell and has a lot of HP.

Ya i went in at level 21 Spellsword with an Elven long sword and the Shield of Chorrol that reflects damage.

Anyways I smacked her 4 or 5 times and she was done.

Can someone tell me why this is the best weapon in the game though??

desrin said:
Ya i went in at level 21 Spellsword with an Elven long sword and the Shield of Chorrol that reflects damage.

Anyways I smacked her 4 or 5 times and she was done.

Can someone tell me why this is the best weapon in the game though??

soul trap 120sec on strike
20some dmg

I was actually dissapointed that it was like the so called best weapon in the game. It does have the highest base damage I've seen though. Right now, it does 33damage for me, and my deadric sword is 27 if I recall correctly. Umbra's mod casts soultrap, and when coupled with Azura's star makes you have like unlimited charges, so I can use my 50fire damage deadric for 5-6mobs or so and then switch to Umbra and kill one, then my Deadric is recharged again.

I just wish Azura's star could capture human souls, maybe then would I actually use Umbra.. Since I've done basically everything accept fighter's guild, all I kill is human guards and bandits, so I just keep like 50 soul gems filled for when I need to whoop up on humans :)

I actually think Goldbrand(think that's the name, gold something) is the best weapon in the game. 22 fire damage on strike( and the base melee damage is only like 6 below umbra for me) and 70 odd charges... 70 CHARGES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I can kill like 20-30 guards without having to recharge it!

ValeX said:
I'm pretty sure that's not the best weapon in the game -- :eek: it can't be! It sucks! I think I have an enchanted Daedric sword that does more dmg than thay puny little thing.....like 51 fire + 23 reg or something.....yea....

ValeX

Ya, I never really use umbra either, fire enchanted deadric swords and Goldbrand for the win. But.. Umbra does have the highest melee damage out of any I've seen so far. My sword is in the 90s and Umbra is doing 33 damage.

I don't think this is the best weapon in the game... it may slightly have the highest base damage, but the effect is worthless. And in fact, the weapon is really only useful when there's zero charges.

Goldbrand, Ebony Blade, or get a regular Ebony sword and put the 25health absorb sigil in, and imo it's far superior to Umbra.

Can't be as easy as getting Umbra in Morrowind.
Hop up on a big rock next to the guy before talking too him and he can't touch you.
Plink away with arrows and spells all day if you have too. :p

Kadarom Douhrek said:
Can't be as easy as getting Umbra in Morrowind.
Hop up on a big rock next to the guy before talking too him and he can't touch you.
Plink away with arrows and spells all day if you have too. :p

I hear you can jump up on a pillar around him and fire away, but even just going straight at him melee out he takes like 4 hits =\

Umbra has the highest base damage ingame, great for sneak attacks as only the base damage counts for the multiplier.

Personally I use it because I like the graphic, then again I also wear Ebony armor because I prefer the look over daedric /shrug

I beat her at level 5...all I did was just run around the first part of the cave where the gas trap is and heal myself while she dies as she chases me. A nice free weapon and set of armor :D

never found the place yet, since my last game...

now I got 115% chameleon (30,30,30,25)... now THAT is cheap...no need for sneak...lol.. I might visit her soon....

I noticed how that the higher % u get, the more you blend in... now that is cool

ps: where do you get Goldbrand at?

Haha. I wandered into that cave (Vindasel is the name of it) just to see what the hell it was. When I ran into her, I was using some shitty warhammer just to get my blunt skill up, so the whole time I was blocking and hitting every now and then, barely doing any damage. It took a little while but she keeled over soon enough. I killed her when I was level 10 and I am level 17 right now and still using the armor (it looks pretty sweet in my opinion, and pretty useful after the enchantments I put on it).

Managed to do it at level 5, rather cheaply but I did it... I should be ok on weapons and armor for a while I think.

Quest npcs don´t auto level up when you do. They are at fixed levels. So if you take them after you levelled up to say 23 it will be way easier then if you try at level 5 ;)

I noticed the same having to beat on monsters for an hour where I got this DB assignment about this almost immortal guy I would need to remove an item for to make him vulnerable... But I just one shot him with a bow with 20 points shock damage something I have never done before lol.

Many people complain about this auto levelling but if every enemy would be like that guy it would be extremely booring by now at level 36.

oqvist said:
Quest npcs don´t auto level up when you do. They are at fixed levels. So if you take them after you levelled up to say 23 it will be way easier then if you try at level 5 ;)

I noticed the same having to beat on monsters for an hour where I got this DB assignment about this almost immortal guy I would need to remove an item for to make him vulnerable... But I just one shot him with a bow with 20 points shock damage something I have never done before lol.

Many people complain about this auto levelling but if every enemy would be like that guy it would be extremely booring by now at level 36.
That was kinda cool in Morrowind though. Once I finished the expansions and got new gear. I could go through and 1 shot all the guards in Vivec either with my bow or with the Gravedigger.

she was hella easy for at level 26... seems like level scaling turns to shit after a while.

Umbra was "sort of" tough, but the human opponents are only so difficult, especially when you land a 6X sneak attack with a magical weapon first.
I'm not sure what you were expecting from a swordsman.
I you really take the right strategy, almost any enemy can be easy. Orges are hard to kill in melee (I'm a level 32 master of blade, light armor, and block and they STILL do big damage) however they're slow and can be hit with arrows or magic all day. Humans tend to be faster and much better at beating run-away tactics, however block/slash patterns work 95% of the time. The only real hard battles are when you're in a tight space and being assaulted by 3 or more enemies. Since Umbra is only one enemy...you can't expect all that much.
Some of it's also level/skill related. My girlfriend is at level 14 and it's scary to see how much the game suddenly scaled up. The same thing happened to me and again right around level 26.
There are certain "scale-up" moments where the enemies get as tough as they'll be for the next 5-10 levels. When you first get there, things can be tough. I remember fighting a Marauder Warlord in Ford Wooden Hand around level 14 and having a hell of a time. His flaming sword took 1/4 of my life even when I blocked it and it stunned me more often than not, too. However once I got to level 22...he was the same and *I* was much stronger. The same thing happened again at level 26-27, even though I had since become a Master of several combat areas.

As for the sword, I think it's dandy. Short of a custom sword or one that has a strong enchanted effects (or effects), it's the best in the game. It also pays for itself. You can just fill sould gems and recharge it all day, or even sell them and pay someone to do it for you.

The wackiest thing is the best item I ever found was a ring that gave me +10 on 8 different stats...and it was on a random daedric mage.

Domingo said:
The wackiest thing is the best item I ever found was a ring that gave me +10 on 8 different stats...and it was on a random daedric mage.
I found that, then another that did +10 in a different group of 8 or so stats/skills. Pretty awesome stuff.

As for the part about anything being easy if you have the right strategy/pattern, it's true. I rolled a gimped character on the hardest difficulty (but this character will probably give me the best performance in later levels compared to others), and it's VERY difficult to kill anything. Buuutt I'm surviving and I've got to the point where I can go through fights and get maybe 2 or 3 hits on me. Try it on the hardest difficulty, and you learn this stuff.

I tried taking her on last night with my lvl 7 dark elf assassin and I got pwned big time. I think it took her three or four swings to kill me. I did manage to get up on the pillar though and shoot about 100 (not kidding) arrows into her before she died. For a lowbee, the umbra sword is really nice to have around.... :D

Going to try her on my lvl 1 caster on hardest setting and see if I can't kite her to town or figure out where that pillar is! The caster is gimp so a good weapon early on will really help her!

so clearly everyone knows but no one answers.... W H E R E I S U M B R A

Terr0r said:
so clearly everyone knows but no one answers.... W H E R E I S U M B R A

Lrn2read! Its mentioned in this thread somewhere! find it!

zomg liek i know its in cave vindrasel or whatever but seeing as how i havent memorized and explored the entire oblivion map, the name doesnt really help

Terr0r said:
zomg liek i know its in cave vindrasel or whatever but seeing as how i havent memorized and explored the entire oblivion map, the name doesnt really help

LOL google it jesus... you kids all want everything handed to you on a silver plater...

Terr0r said:

I think its soundwest from the water district in the imperial city.

directly south west across from waterfront, alleid (sp) ruins vindaesel (sp)

Go to water district, and swim directly southwest.. it's right on the lake at the other end.

The best thing I've found really has to be my necklace of swords. Blade+25 or so, and reflect damage 33%. Thats 2x amazing mods.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Go to water district, and swim directly southwest.. it's right on the lake at the other end.

The best thing I've found really has to be my necklace of swords. Blade+25 or so, and reflect damage 33%. Thats 2x amazing mods.

That's freakin' awesome! Was it randomly on someone or was it a quest item?
So far I've completed all 3 of the 4 guilds (and only lack 2 more mages advancements) and the majority of those quest items are so-so. The DB is the only one that gave me anything I've kept outside of custom items I've made via the Mage's guild.
Random short quests (like Umbra or the Skeleton Key) seem to be better.

Domingo said:
That's freakin' awesome! Was it randomly on someone or was it a quest item?

It was a random drop on a dremora inside the big gate if I recall correctly.

Chillrend is most definitely the best sword in the game if you get it late. My chillrend is a glass sword, does +20 cold damage, and 35%...whatever, can't remember, but basically it increases the cold damage after the first hit. Pretty sweet IMO.

Back