Ultrawide Monitor for Watching MKV Files

turok_t

n00b
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to seek your humble advice as I am planning to get a new monitor. I’m planning to buy a new LG 38” 21:9 ultrawide monitor (38GN950) that has a resolution of 3840 x 1600. I will be using this for daily use, but a big part of it will be watching 4k movies/MKV files using VLC player. A lot of my movies are 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I just have a few questions if you don’t mind.
  • If I watch these movies fullscreen using VLC player, will there be black bars on the side/top? Or will the movie fill up the entire screen for maximum immersion?
  • Will the movie look stretched in full screen?
  • Even though the resolution of 4k UHD movies does not match the native resolution of this monitor, how will the image look? Will it look similar to a 4k (3840 x 2160) native monitor?
Thanks for all your help!!

you need to center it and there will be black bars on the side and maybe bottom, depending on ar. it you fill it, it will either be stretched or cut off.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to seek your humble advice as I am planning to get a new monitor. I’m planning to buy a new LG 38” 21:9 ultrawide monitor (38GN950) that has a resolution of 3840 x 1600. I will be using this for daily use, but a big part of it will be watching 4k movies/MKV files using VLC player. A lot of my movies are 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I just have a few questions if you don’t mind.
  • If I watch these movies fullscreen using VLC player, will there be black bars on the side/top? Or will the movie fill up the entire screen for maximum immersion?
  • Will the movie look stretched in full screen?
  • Even though the resolution of 4k UHD movies does not match the native resolution of this monitor, how will the image look? Will it look similar to a 4k (3840 x 2160) native monitor?
Thanks for all your help!!

You'll be fine on 2.40:1 movies as you'll still get most of the 3840 (with a bit of a black bar on each side). It won't be pixel to pixel but close enough. The problem is HDR will suck as it's only HDR400 which is just a bit more than regular monitors. If you have the space, I would go for the Samsung G9. If not I'll look at one of the 43" monitor from ASUS, Gigabyte, Acer which can be had for about the same price or less and support HDR1000

Last edited:
You'll be fine on 2.40:1 movies as you'll still get most of the 3840 (with a bit of a black bar on each side). It won't be pixel to pixel but close enough. The problem is HDR will suck as it's only HDR400 which is just a bit more than regular monitors. If you have the space, I would go for the Samsung G9. If not I'll look at one of the 43" HDR gaming monitor from ASUS, Gigabyte, Acer which can be had for about the same price or less and support HDR1000

Thanks Wiz, I think the monitor is Display HDR600 as indicated on LG's website. I think 40"/43" is too big for me given my limited desk space and I prefer to sit close to my monitors given that i have a multi-monitor setup. Im looking for a good ultrawide that maintains the 21:9 ratio that is larger than 34" but less than 40".

So I know that 4k UHD movies are 3840 x 2160 resolution, but this includes the black bars at the top and bottom. The actual film itself is 3840 pixels horizontal, but im not sure what the vertical pixels will be given that 2160 includes the black bars.

So if my monitor can display 3840 x 1600 and if lets say the actual movie itself is 3840 x 1500, does that mean i will have NO top/bottom black bars, but only slight side bars?

So if my monitor can display 3840 x 1600 and if lets say the actual movie itself is 3840 x 1500, does that mean i will have NO top/bottom black bars, but only slight side bars?
slight top/bottom bars.

Thanks Wiz, I think the monitor is Display HDR600 as indicated on LG's website. I think 40"/43" is too big for me given my limited desk space and I prefer to sit close to my monitors given that i have a multi-monitor setup. Im looking for a good ultrawide that maintains the 21:9 ratio that is larger than 34" but less than 40".

So I know that 4k UHD movies are 3840 x 2160 resolution, but this includes the black bars at the top and bottom. The actual film itself is 3840 pixels horizontal, but im not sure what the vertical pixels will be given that 2160 includes the black bars.

21:9 is 2.39:1 so you'll have a bit of black bar top and bottom but if you force full screen it will stretch/distort the picture but not by much. HDR600 is serviceable (mistaken the B version which is HDR400). The 38" ultrawide is 35.4" in width and a 43" 16:9 is 38.07" in width so not much more. I sit about 30" away from my 43" when I work and about 40" if I sit back to watch media.

Last edited:
21:9 is 2.39:1 so you'll have a bit of black bar top and bottom but if you force full screen it will stretch/distort the picture but not by much. HDR600 is serviceable (mistaken the B version which is HDR400). The 38" ultrawide is 35" in width and a 43" 16:9 is 38" is width so not much more and I sit about 30" away from my 43" when I work and about 40" if I sit back to watch media.
Ok I can live with a bit of black bar at the top/bottom as long as most of the image quality of the movie is retained on a 21:9 screen. Even if i do full screen it to remove those top/bottom bars, i don't know how much distortion there will be since I don't know the actual vertical resolution of the movie. If lets say the actual vertical pixels was 1500 for the movie and my monitor can output 1600, that 100 pixel difference wont be much. However, if the actual vertical pixel was more like 1200, then i will be able to see the distortion (vertically stretched) more noticeably.

Trust me Wiz, ive been debating back and forth between the FV43U and CX48 as you can see my comments in the other thread. Even though a 43" 16:9 monitor is approximately 38" in width, the added height forces me to push it all the way back to my desk given which is not conducive for me. In fact, I even got pieces of paper and taped them together to match the size of the FV43U to simulate it on my desk and its too big. I personally prefer 16:9, but i think 21:9 is more suitable for me. I also have 2 x 24" monitors next to my main one as well. If i get 43", it will have to be pushed all the way back and my 24" will be really close up and i can't align my monitors.

Ok I can live with a bit of black bar at the top/bottom as long as most of the image quality of the movie is retained on a 21:9 screen. Even if i do full screen it to remove those top/bottom bars, i don't know how much distortion there will be since I don't know the actual vertical resolution of the movie. If lets say the actual vertical pixels was 1500 for the movie and my monitor can output 1600, that 100 pixel difference wont be much. However, if the actual vertical pixel was more like 1200, then i will be able to see the distortion (vertically stretched) more noticeably.

Trust me Wiz, ive been debating back and forth between the FV43U and CX48 as you can see my comments in the other thread. Even though a 43" 16:9 monitor is approximately 38" in width, the added height forces me to push it all the way back to my desk given which is not conducive for me. In fact, I even got pieces of paper and taped them together to match the size of the FV43U to simulate it on my desk and its too big. I personally prefer 16:9, but i think 21:9 is more suitable for me. I also have 2 x 24" monitors next to my main one as well. If i get 43", it will have to be pushed all the way back and my 24" will be really close up and i can't align my monitors.

Get a G9 and dump the dells 😜 Kidding. Use whatever you're comfortable with. Have fun.

I personally use Zoom Player, just like the interface a bit better and have been using it forever.
Some movies and shows are 21:9 but in a 16:9 frame so you have to zoom in to fill the screen.
IMG_1771.JPEG

IMG_1770.JPEG

I personally use Zoom Player, just like the interface a bit better and have been using it forever.
Some movies and shows are 21:9 but in a 16:9 frame so you have to zoom in to fill the screen.
View attachment 370286

View attachment 370287
Thanks!

For movies/shows that are 21:9, did you have to zoom in at all, or did the movie naturally fill up the entire screen?

For 16:9 movies, when you zoom to fill up the screen, is the movie more blurry and not as sharp?

Thanks!

For movies/shows that are 21:9, did you have to zoom in at all, or did the movie naturally fill up the entire screen?

For 16:9 movies, when you zoom to fill up the screen, is the movie more blurry and not as sharp?
What he's referring to, and what's shown in the screenshots, is the final file is a 169 image the film itself is 21x9. You'll need to use the software player to zoom in.

IF the final file is already 21:9, you don't need to do this.

I've been watching movies via local files as well as streaming sites on my 21:9 display since 2017. Lots of experience.

Thanks!

for the ones I have to zoom in, there is really no noticeable difference.

for the ones I have to zoom in, there is really no noticeable difference.
Thanks.. that was my concern. I know that the movie file itself is 16:9, but the movie itself is 21:9 aspect ratio within the 16:9 frame. The movie file itself is 16:9 because it includes the top/bottom black bars. Just to confirm, let's say if I initially open these movies/files on a 21:9 ultrawide, without any zooming or cropping, will the entire frame open as 16:9 ratio with the actual movie inside in a 21:9 ratio ? This is like the first picture Zepher posted. If this is the case, does that mean that each pixel of the movie is not mapped directly to each pixel on the monitor if the movie has lets say, 3840 horizontally? If a movie itself has 3840 pixels horizontally and if you initially open it up on your 21:9 monitor with black borders on the side, that means the video is downscaled correct?

Zepher, once you zoom in so that your screen is filled, do each pixel of the movie actually map to each pixel of the monitor? The reason why im asking is because i want to retain the quality of the movie as much as possible without any blurriness.

Thanks.. that was my concern. I know that the movie file itself is 16:9, but the movie itself is 21:9 aspect ratio within the 16:9 frame. The movie file itself is 16:9 because it includes the top/bottom black bars. Just to confirm, let's say if I initially open these movies/files on a 21:9 ultrawide, without any zooming or cropping, will the entire frame open as 16:9 ratio with the actual movie inside in a 21:9 ratio ? This is like the first picture Zepher posted. If this is the case, does that mean that each pixel of the movie is not mapped directly to each pixel on the monitor if the movie has lets say, 3840 horizontally? If a movie itself has 3840 pixels horizontally and if you initially open it up on your 21:9 monitor with black borders on the side, that means the video is downscaled correct?

Zepher, once you zoom in so that your screen is filled, do each pixel of the movie actually map to each pixel of the monitor? The reason why im asking is because i want to retain the quality of the movie as much as possible without any blurriness.
It's going to depend on the source of your files. most of my 21:9 movie files are 1920x800 or there abouts and look great on my 34" 3440x1440p screen which isn't 1:1 pixels but still looks perfect.

Yeah I don't think getting into worrying about 1:1 pixel mapping is where you want to go or worry about.

Yeah I don't think getting into worrying about 1:1 pixel mapping is where you want to go or worry about.
Why not? Wouldn't you want your monitor to clearly display what you are watching? or am i missing something? I know that if a movie file is not exactly the same aspect ratio as your monitor, there will be slight black bars (in the context of no zooming, cropping). But wouldn't you want each pixel of your monitor to display each pixel of your movie to maintain picture quality?

Why not? Wouldn't you want your monitor to clearly display what you are watching? or am i missing something? I know that if a movie file is not exactly the same aspect ratio as your monitor, there will be slight black bars (in the context of no zooming, cropping). But wouldn't you want each pixel of your monitor to display each pixel of your movie to maintain picture quality?

Because when i'm watching MKV's at my desk on my computer monitor I don't care. What I get is more than good enough.

If i was in a home theater playing back legitimately acquired 4K Blurays, this would be different.

Because when i'm watching MKV's at my desk on my computer monitor I don't care. What I get is more than good enough.

If i was in a home theater playing back legitimately acquired 4K Blurays, this would be different.
Ahh, okay, I guess you don't really care that much. Okay, well i guess i care when i watch my 4k blu rays that i purchased and want the best quality

Ahh, okay, I guess you don't really care that much. Okay, well i guess i care when i watch my 4k blu rays that i purchased and want the best quality
except you asking about mkv files, not 4k bluray discs.... so which is it?

except you asking about mkv files, not 4k bluray discs.... so which is it?
I have the 4k disc that i have converted into MKV files. I play the MKV files only, not the disc. I know there are many issues with playing UHD discs in windows. So no, the MKV files are not pirated, and yes, I have purchased the disc itself

Its just the whole situation feels off.

OK with watching movies sitting at their computer desk.

Worried about 1:1 pixel mapping.

It just doesn't make sense to, i would guess, a large number of people.

I have the 4k disc that i have converted into MKV files. I play the MKV files only, not the disc. I know there are many issues with playing UHD discs in windows. So no, the MKV files are not pirated, and yes, I have purchased the disc itself
not the point. youve cut the quality by converting to mvk and are now worried about perfect reproduction.

not the point. youve cut the quality by converting to mvk and are now worried about perfect reproduction.

No, the conversion does not compress the movie or remove it quality. It only extracts the movie itself into a playable file on PC. Checkout makeMKV forum

No, the conversion does not compress the movie or remove it quality. It only extracts the movie itself into a playable file on PC. Checkout makeMKV forum
ok... "MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way."

ok... "MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way."
Yes. it preserves most of the information, but where do you see that this information is related to picture quality and image? This can be data that may not affect picture quality.

makemkv.jpg

1624996587497.png

ok, its not "making" an mkv, its just relabeling a file. if you want your perfect uhd experience, get a proper tv and a proper uhd player. youve got you answers, go watch something

ok, its not "making" an mkv, its just relabeling a file. if you want your perfect uhd experience, get a proper tv and a proper uhd player. youve got you answers, go watch something
I have a proper TV setup already, thank you. I can already watch something on my TV setup, which is my original question pertains to a desktop ultrawide monitor for watching movies.

Last edited:
consumer video isn't setup to feed you ultrawide aspect ratio movies, in 1:1 pixel mapping. If you ever come across a movie which does map 1:1, its either luck or it was mastered specifically for the style of display which you have.

16:9 is the consumer standard. Which wasn't even a film standard. It kind of is now, due to the widespread production of 16:9 devices. Film actually has several aspect ratios available. due to different film formats and also, different styles of camera. So even if you have a wider aspect ratio display, its still not going to perfectly fit most films. Virtually every screen is a compromise, to accomodate most aspect ratios, well enough. Even a projector screen is a compromise. Its just not apparent, because you only see what the projector projects. And back in the day, some theaters would actually tighten curtains around the unused parts of the projector screen, for each film, to help mask off the unused bits of the screen.

Last edited:
Back