Ultrasone Headphones

asyork

2[H]4U
Firstly, I lost the link to a website that was recommended for ordering Ultrasone headphones. It was a German based company, and you had to contact someone state-side and use paypal to get them shipped to the US. They sold headphones, amps, and cables. I looked through some old threads, but I couldn't find the one that I had originally found the link at.

Secondly, if there is anyone here who has tried both Ultrasone and Sennheiser headphones, how do they compare to each other. I want some headphones that I can use on my computer for listening to music, watching movies, and occasionally playing games. I would also like to be able to use them on a receiver and maybe my iPod if it can handle them. I can possibly see an amp some time in my future, but I want to get decent sound without one as well. That is one of the things that was pushing me toward Ultrasone when I first looked, because the general consensus was that you didn't need an amp for them, but they would be even better with one.

What I want out of my headphones:
Closed system
Works fine without an amp
Watching movies
Listening to music
Playing games
Preferably less than $200
Probably some other things I will add if I remember (I woke up 3 hours early today...).

I want some nice headphones (my current full-sized headphones cost me $10 at Walmart), but I obviously don't need top of the line because I will mostly be using them on a computer with onboard sound (a PowerBook and a PC with an nForce board).

Closed Headphones Comparative Review:
Sony MDR-7506 (aka Sony MDR-V6), Sennheiser HD280, Ultrasone HFI-650, Beyerdynamic DT250-80, Beyerdynamic DT770, Etymotic ER-4S, Etymotic ER-4B

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21917

FWIW, I own the HFI-650. They are hooked up to the amp seen here.

What makes you think that you cannot have good sound coming out of a computer? With an outboard DAC you can use the digital output and have excellent sound. Buy the best headphone that you can. Who knows? Your source might suprise you, and if not you can always upgrade later.

Do some searching at the http://www.head-fi.org For Sale forum. You might find somebody selling them for less than http://www.meier-audio.de/

[edit]
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63477

Ultrasone HFI-650 Trackmaster: I recieved these less than a week ago in nearly new condition with the original packaging. They were burned in before I got them, and have had around 20 hours put on them since. Will consider trades. $130

Thanks for all the info.

I'm not extremely interested in upgrading my computer's sound capabilities right now. I'm in college, I don't have a job, and my computers need a number of other upgrades already. I also listen mostly to mp3's, and don't currently have the HD space to rip at over 192 kbps. Who knows what the future may hold, but right now I don't have the cash to get anything top of the line.

Ok. After going through the info, Ultrasone is sounding even better. Now my only question is if anyone has tried both the HFI-650 and the HFI-700. The 700 sounds nice for a couple reasons, such as the cable extension, more bass, increased frequency range, etc.

P.S. I don't like traffic cops. I could have bought myself a pair of the HFI-700s for about the cost of my ticket... :mad: I know I was speeding, but there it was dry, clear, and bright that day on a long straight road, and I wasn't swerving around or changing lanes... Is 93 mph really that fast (they didn't see me when I was trying to see if my CR-V could make it to 120... It only got to 118 :D)?

Th HFI-700 started life named as HFI-650 DVD. It is cosmetically identical to the HFI-650. Here is a thread discussing some of the differences.

retailer is Jan Meier from www.meier-audio.de

My friend has the Ultrasone 550 Beatmaster; they are quite nice. very bassy for an unamped can.

EDIT: IMO you can only compare the Sennheiser HD 590 with the 550 or 650 Ultrasones...since they don't require an amp.

The 590 is piss poor compared to the 550. Yes, I've tried both.

Back