Ultrabooks with 4gb+ ram, where are they?!?!

soulesschild

Supreme [H]ardness
Are there any Ultrabooks that come with more than 4gb of ram? I find it a little ridiculous that these new ultrabooks that I would want to replace my current laptop with and am more than willing to pay the cost just do not come with a ram upgrade option.

At this point I'm seriously considering the MBPr even though I love the HP Spectre XT and Asus Zenbook Prime designs. :(

Soldered RAM is very common in Ultrabooks. If you want something that you can upgrade yourself, you really should be looking elsewhere.

A lot of ultra books will come with one slot empty and one slot soldered on to the board. There are several ultra books that allows for one of the ram slots to be upgraded.

i.e. ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DB71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw-2wdZ0MdU
^youtube video on ram upgrade and ssd upgrade

Soldered RAM is very common in Ultrabooks. If you want something that you can upgrade yourself, you really should be looking elsewhere.

What I'm saying that it's almost trivial to bump the ram to 8GB, hell, 8GB dimms are relatively cheap....The MBPr from 8gb to 16gb is only 200. i'd gladly pay 200 or 300 for one of the new ultrabooks coming out to come with 8-16gb.

MBPr is twice the price of basically any Ultrabook. Not sure what it has to do with anything.

You can spec 8gb onto a Macbook Air and run Windows on it, if you want. Much cheaper. Windows runs pretty well on the Air, assuming you're not gaming.

MBPr is twice the price of basically any Ultrabook. Not sure what it has to do with anything.

You can spec 8gb onto a Macbook Air and run Windows on it, if you want. Much cheaper. Windows runs pretty well on the Air, assuming you're not gaming.

I used the MBPr as an example of ram pricing. Now that you bring up the MBA, even that can come with 8GB, why don't these new ultrabooks come with it?!?! :confused::confused:

I really hope the Acer Aspire S7s come with at least 8gb or the option of customizing...

Lenovo has an 8gb option in their ultrabooks, but you pay heavily for it (ridiculous in my opinion).

Are there any Ultrabooks that come with more than 4gb of ram? I find it a little ridiculous that these new ultrabooks that I would want to replace my current laptop with and am more than willing to pay the cost just do not come with a ram upgrade option.

At this point I'm seriously considering the MBPr even though I love the HP Spectre XT and Asus Zenbook Prime designs. :(

FINALLY...I have search all over the web with list of keywords and someone out there is exactly going through what I have been in the past month.

I am in need of a portable computer and having used the 17inch Dell vostro for over 3 years, I have been so sick of the weight. Thus, I decided to go for an ultrabook.

As you have gathered, weight is my priority. Since I have not own a laptop for a while, I wanted a top end use with the highest res possible.

I also ended up with the Asus UX31a. I almost brought it last week when I had noticed it was 4gb??? I actually expect such high end books to have a minimum of 8gb and I do need the ram running multiple applications all the time.

I have no need of the likes of video editing, paint shop pro..etc, so not too bother with i7. Budge is max 2000.

I also came to compare the Acer A7, HP spectre XL and even samsung series 9.

3 priority..well build, like if you open the ultrabook with one finger, it does not look like the screen will bend and snap.

Conclusion, with Asus at £1499 and no option to upgrade, I am forced with the 2KG Lenove U410...that is the same weight as the 15inch mac book pro with retina.

I check the weight of the MBP 13inch retina and the weight is only 1.6kg, 0.3kg heavier than the Asus. I can live with that.

Force to get the MBP 13inch retina and installing windows.My first ever Apple product.

WTF..no 8 Gb ultrabooks with higher than 1366x768 res? At least 1900x1080

Is it because there is no space to fit 8GB or something in the ultrabooks???

Can someone recommend an ulternative?

Acer S7 looks like a really poor man's apple.

HP is a big plastic brick.

Korean brand give you all the specs like Samsung, but again 4gb?

Am I only stuck with a Sony, which essentially is another Apple, with proprietary accessories.etc. Might as well apple mate!

^ as mentioned, you could sell a kidney and get a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon with 8gb, but that's your only choice for a PC ultrabook with 8gb and the screen is rubbish. Not impressed by any of the offerings on the market right now, including Apple.

Yeah u could sell ur Kidney and Lunges and who knows what to get that.
But the 8GB version are extremely over priced.

For now the 4GB Version makes me happy but in near future 8GB with affordable price would be nice.

It is pretty easy and cheap to upgrade a lot of ultrabooks to 10GB. I know the Toshiba Z830/Z835 sits at 2.5lbs and can handle 10GB despite a 6GB advertised limit.

Back