Ultrabook displays: Which resolution scales the best at 13.3 inch?

asperity

Limp Gawd
Right now it seems like 3200x1800 (QHD+) is all the craze for the high end ultrabooks. But when I see all the horrible scaling issues people seem to be getting during web browsing and use of certain programs, it makes me want to turn away from it. Windows 8.1 isn't known for scaling too well on high ppi displays and no one will exactly know how Windows 10 will turn out either.

Does anyone have any input on what actually scales well on a 13.3 inch ultrabook display? I was thinking either 1920x1080 (FHD) or 2560x1440 (WQHD).

Last edited:
Well, I was running Windows 10 Preview and I had no issues with scaling, even at extremely high resolutions. To see how scaling worked, I temporarily ran my CRT at 3200x2400, which is 202PPI. I scaled the resolution down and things worked perfectly. I don't get why people complain about scaling. I would recommend going for the highest resolution you can: remember, this is a fixed-pixel display. You are stuck with what you get. That resolution isn't going to change.

Both 8.1 and 10 scale just fine for me at 3200x1800. Care to elaborate more on the problems you're anticipating? If things are too small, just increase the scaling. I jump around between 150% and 200% on that machine depending on what I'm working on.

Both 8.1 and 10 scale just fine for me at 3200x1800. Care to elaborate more on the problems you're anticipating? If things are too small, just increase the scaling. I jump around between 150% and 200% on that machine depending on what I'm working on.

Well, I am intending on using Eclipse IDE and I hear that the programs buttons do not scale correctly. People are saying the icons are so small to the point that its unreadable.

I hear 200% scaling is fine with text, but it seems like the majority of the complaints come from things being too big at 200%. When the scaling is lowered, certain text starts to become blurry.

Last edited:
Back