Ultra X-Connect PSU failure?

just2cool

Gawd
Hey,

You might remember my johnny - I was the dumbass who had the motherboard connector slightly out of place causing the 3.3 rail to be very low. However, this time I unplugged everything except the motherboard connector and the CPU power and made sure it was very tight. When I flick the switch, my heatsink fan turns a tiny bit and a few LEDs flash on and off - that's it. No matter how long I wait between tries or whatever, it will not do anything more. It randomly turned off last night and since has not shown me that much sign of life.

Any suggestions? How long is the warranty? I've had mine for less than one year. Right now, I'm running off an old power supply that isn't very good.

Are you addressing me?

I would think a PM or a post at the Ultra forums would be more effective, but Ok. ;-)

First; isolate that it is a problem with the power supply by using a paperclip to see if you can get it to turn on. Remember: Even if the motherboard is the only thing hooked up, the motherboard has to tell the PSU to turn on and stay on, so a bum board can have the same effect.

What you do is unplug the ATX cable from the motherboard, take the connector and look INTO it with the clip facing down (so you're looking at the connector tips and the plastic clip that snaps onto the tab on the motherboard's power connector is pointing towards the floor.)

On the bottom row, the third hole from the right is ground and the fourth is your turn-on lead. Shove a paper clip into those two holes and the power supply should kick on.

If it doesn't, then the PSU is toast. The PSU has a three year warranty IF you have the original receipt. If you registered the power supply within 30 days of buying it, then you don't need the receipt because you're covered for life.

Good luck!

Well that's the thing, I can't access www.ultraproducts.com. It just gives me a "server not found" error. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my DNS servers or what.

No dice on the shorting. The PSU just sits there when I short those 2 pins that you mentioned.

I guess I'll try their site later on, maybe they're doing some maintenance. Thanks for your help.

just2cool said:
Well that's the thing, I can't access www.ultraproducts.com. It just gives me a "server not found" error. I'm not sure if this is a problem with my DNS servers or what.

Site is fine for me. Purge your local dnsresolver cache and try it then.

Yeah, I already tried flushing my DNS and rebooting but it still won't work. I don't even think it works in our computer labs. I really hate this school's internet connection - all I ever get is high packet loss and low bandwidth.

But I'll be sure to contact Ultra via email. Thanks again.

Mind telling me why you want to RMA a Ultra product in the first place? How about taking it to an e-waste disposal site? That will save you loads of trouble.

PCP&C or Enermax next time.

BurntToast said:
Mind telling me why you want to RMA a Ultra product in the first place? How about taking it to an e-waste disposal site? That will save you loads of trouble.

PCP&C or Enermax next time.

:rolleyes:
Oh boy

Listen up. Ultra is a Respectable company. They had problems with the X-Connect 1.0, and to a lesser extent, the V series. That doesn't mean they're too bad. The X-connect 1.0 will work perfectly fine at stock settings. The V series is mediocre, but works for 70%+ of most people. They have a Lifetime warrentee. Please, tell me how they are bad. The X-Finity is one of the best all around psu's, especially at the price they can be had. Do I see that from PCP&C? Sure, they're fucking powerful, stable, and I'd love to have one, but not everyone can afford it.

And don't even tell that to JonnyGuru, or you can expect your kneecaps be broken.

Bbq said:
And don't even tell that to JonnyGuru, or you can expect your kneecaps be broken.

LOL!!! What?!?!?! :D :D

And what's this "problems with V-Series." I don't know of any problems with V-Series. :p They're cheap power supplies, but they get the job done. I have a 400W V-Series in my wife's computer powering a 3200+ and 6600GT! :D

jonnyGURU said:
LOL!!! What?!?!?! :D :D

And what's this "problems with V-Series." I don't know of any problems with V-Series. :p They're cheap power supplies, but they get the job done. I have a 400W V-Series in my wife's computer powering a 3200+ and 6600GT! :D

I never said who would be doing it [size=-3]pm me if intrested in doing this[/size]

The V-series, by "problem", I mean that it's perfectly fine for most people. In fact, vast majority. But, the [H] isn't a vast majority. Lots of p eople run their systems overclocked, pushed to the max, and for this, it probubly isn't enough.

LOL! I only break knee caps when people dis' my 800W X-Finity. But that's not going to happen any time soon because I don't have an ETA for that product. :)

Back