Ultra Street Fighter IV is out on Steam.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
I braved the wilds to bring you the first image. The benchmark was done with the Replay feature on the Raptr app running. Not sure how much of a detriment it was to have it saving a 20 minute replay during a benchmark. :) Everything was on the highest settings.

mbVHOPp.png

HE7YK0T.png

I think the benchmark tops out at 300FPS and a 5940 score.

Do you have to have Arcade Edition to upgrade?
Something like that. I think that on PC, Ultra is just a DLC for AE that basically converts AE to Ultra.

PC version is by far the definitive version for online. The good connections are buttery smooth

PC version is by far the definitive version for online. The good connections are buttery smooth

Is it? I remember the last version ran terrible for me even with the best connections, and a lot of other people said it was inconsistent. I saw so many different suggestions for settings and tried them all but the game just wouldn't respond properly. And it was really annoying win or lose.

I got tired of having to keep hooking up my PS3, so I took the plunge with this. Game looks and runs great. Some of the major events are even starting to use this version, so maybe the community will actually support it?
I've had some major issues with online so far. My matches will run great...and then full-on freeze for 3-5 seconds and sometimes they'll restart, other times the game will just drop. Plus, I'm running an SSD and it's pretty clear the game is loading quicker for me than some of my opponents. That seems to throw a wrench in some things, too.
The game runs great, but online has been miserable for me in my few hours of playing it. I'm certainly open to any possible fix suggestions, though.
Kinda surprised that even the "final" version of this game is still just an AE2012 download with a patch on it. I figured we'd get a true stand-alone...but the game still thinks it's AE2012.

Is it? I remember the last version ran terrible for me even with the best connections, and a lot of other people said it was inconsistent. I saw so many different suggestions for settings and tried them all but the game just wouldn't respond properly. And it was really annoying win or lose.

Yeah, I am more confident to do my viper combos online than anything. Its ran very good for me in the hour or two I played last night.

Let me know when Killer Instinct is on steam,

k, thx, bui

As someone who owns the new Killer Instinct...you're not missing much. It's the best Killer Instinct of all time, but that's like owning the fastest Ford Festiva on the planet isn't it? It isn't quite that bad, but it isn't even close to as good as any of the new SF games (xTekken included) or MK games either. Plus, like SnowBeast mentions...it isn't even a finished game. It's like a bunch of DLC shoved together.

None of them will ever be as good as Street Fighter 2 Champion/Turbo & I stopped caring after SF Alpha 9000 years ago. This series it seems, is just very tired...

From that first screenshot posted, it just looks like another attempt to market the game to pre teens and asian fanboys.(ois?)

Last edited:
Then you apparently aren't a fighting game fan. It's bigger than its ever been

Then you apparently aren't a fighting game fan. It's bigger than its ever been

I doubt that, the stories I could tell you from late nights at the arcade halls back in the 90's. Don't even get me started on the Super NES launch :)

Not a fighting game fan eh, well, that's debatable but I've probably played more obscure fighting games over the years than you have fingers & toes.

I doubt that, the stories I could tell you from late nights at the arcade halls back in the 90's. Don't even get me started on the Super NES launch :)

Not a fighting game fan eh, well, that's debatable but I've probably played more obscure fighting games over the years than you have fingers & toes.

People really love this new SF. I think perhaps your nostalgia is getting in the way of actual modern opinions on fighting games.

I love X-Men Vs Street Fighter but its entirely a non-existent competitive part of the fighting game audience.

For informational purposes: If you have SSF4AE and download the Ultra DLC, it will convert and rename your SSF4AE to Ultra SF4 in your Steam library. Also, it appears that they may have stopped supporting SSF4AE, at least the DLC part, and that if you want any additional content then you are required to download the Ultra upgrade. That's not necessarily a bad thing as I don't think any of the DLC was ever game-changing, just cosmetic stuff.

Playing the game online is like stepping into a time machine. Players are okay, but there's a shitload of people that mash uppercuts through EVERYTHING. Lots of the 'ol 50/50 guess with uppercut or throw. It's like the day 1 release of SF4 all over again. All of the strategies and blockstrings that have developed over the years are out the window with uppercut spazzing and any latency at all. That would be fairly easy to stop if I hadn't trained myself to play differently with the trends on the console.
I still can't seem to get my 360 throws off very well either. Not sure if it's because I'm using a DS3 via bluetooth or the game or what. Everything else works fine, but any 360 (or especially 720) moves just aren't coming out like I want.

BTW competition the PC has gotten a lot better with the PC ultra release. I've played more people who can execute Perfect 1 frames link combos than I can count on two hands.

BTW competition the PC has gotten a lot better with the PC ultra release. I've played more people who can execute Perfect 1 frames link combos than I can count on two hands.

True. I've run into some total killers in the mix with the uppercut nuts. I encountered a Cody last night that I could swear must have been a tournament winner. I could barely hit him and his lockdowns had me more or less stuck. I couldn't even jab mash.
I've swapped over to using the DS4 (rather than DS3) and I'm having a lot better time with the 360 grabs. I'm doing about as well as I did on the PS3, which is about 80% raw and every time off a tic. Something about the way Windows sees the rolling 6-way motion just doesn't register well with the Bluetooth port on the DS3.
Online is odd. The matches are smooth, but instead of lag, the game just full-on freezes for a few seconds. Not sure if I like that better or worse.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the game was much better on gfwl in my experience. Ever since they migrated to steam, the menus have been very laggy, and unresponsive at times.

For example, When I search for endless matches, there's always a lag between seeing the load animation and showing results, almost like my comp is too fast for it. The sound is also delayed at times.

In game isn't any better. The lag online is random, even with green bar people. I love in socal, so it's not like I live in a weird region. Even off line in training mode, I experience weird slowdowns, so it's not just network related.

I have tried uninstalling, rebuilding steam cache, etc but this version just seems buggy to me. I have disabled sli as well. It's aa shame because I really want to like and play this version rather than xbl

Definitely a controller or arcade fight stick, unless you're a pro with the keyboard. There are keyboard players out there.

There was a guy who brought a keyboard to EVO a few years ago, so it's possible...but he was like 1 out of 1,000. High level pad players are relatively common now.
If you don't mind using a wired pad, apparently those Mad Katz SF4 360 pads work wonderfully and the have a good d-pad. I'm stuck needing wireless so I'm using one of the mods that lets us use a PS3 and PS4 pad via Bluetooth. There are a few really good players that use the 360 controller, although most control things using the analog instead of that horrid d-pad.

I'm also having a fair number of issues related to menus. I assumed they were SSD related since the game loads things so quickly with one. Capcom is reportedly trying to fix the online issues and they admit that it's a problem. My experience is usually good...then the game will full-on freeze for like 5-10 seconds. So far there seems to be an unspoken lag rule of just backing off since hitting buttons can actual lead to one person getting mauled while the game spools back up.

I'm just glad that the game is as good as it is. I no longer really need to hook up my PS3 anymore. I still can't hit moves as well as I can on the consoles, but since the SF4 games have run their course (more or less) I can live with it rather than to not have a PC version at all.

I just keep on having control issues with this game. Not sure if it's the game or my controllers or what...but it just seems like the game seems to have random input lag no matter what I do and there doesn't seem to be any really good rhyme or reason for it. It'll be bulletproof one minute and my character will seemingly go into auto pilot the next. Buttons don't work, and things are happening seconds too late. It happens in single-player, too.

EDIT: It's the controller. I'm stuck using the 360 controller. I can hit 360's like a madman, but I have no defensive finesse at all now.

Last edited:
I'm game. I make no claims to being awesome (especially with my 360 pad), but it could be fun. I promise not to try to uppercut every 2 seconds, so I'll at least be a change of pace.
Hopefully they'll work some of the latency issues out.

Do not play FinalAura!!!! He is a fucking beast and will make you quit playing fighting games.

I've been pounded by tournament players before. If anything, it gives me perspective on things but has never made me want to quit...at least with SF. I used to be pretty good at the older SF and Tekken games, so I've seen it all by now. If I lose, I tend to know why :p It usually involves me having no patience at all as I've gotten older.

Which characters are most people playing and playing against? I play all of the grapplers along with E. Honda and a little bit of Blanka. So far I'm running into shit tons of Ryu and Evil Ryu. PSN was similar although there were lots of Yuns running around, too. I have yet to see one (or about 2/3 of the roster for that matter) on Steam.

Last edited:
Do not play FinalAura!!!! He is a fucking beast and will make you quit playing fighting games.

Lol, way too much credit there man. I get whooped quite a bit myself XD.

I've been playing a bit of evil Ryu myself. I find him really fun to play if you can hit the links. I may be joining that bandwagon, lol.

As for online players, I see a lot of Hugo and dudley, but it's been pretty varied in my experience.

Yeah, I've seen some Dudley's, too. Thus far they tend to be of the "lame" variety and just keep dancing back and forth trying to standing fierce everything. I definitely saw higher quality versions on PSN.
Evil Ryu is a force of nature if you can get him rolling, but there's a really high risk/reward with him. You miss a couple of those links and he gets eaten up. I've run into at least one on Steam that was hitting some Sako-type stuff.
Thinking about Steam so far (and disregarding connection issues), I think the overall skill level on Steam is probably higher than on PSN, however it's a different sort of skill. I've gotten fully blown up on PSN with more flash, but on Steam I'm seeing more fundamentals and less flash. It's almost like the trends from AE2012 bypassed Steam and people kept playing old school...but got better at it. It's odd. I've gotten Ryu zoned quite well 2-3 times on Steam and I can't recall the last good fundamental Ryu I played on PSN. At the same time, good lord at the uppercut nuts.

I'm on right now if anyone wants to play for a bit. Steam name is the same as on here

I have the game but haven't logged in yet. I loved SSFIVAE. Not tried Ultra yet. You can add me on Steam with same username as here. I usually only play on weekends.
I used to play Oni with a keyboard. Not sure what I will try now. I prefer normal Ryu to Evil Ryu since I can't control him well with the keyboard.

Feel free to add me, too. My SteamID is Domingo_X.
I make no promises as to the quality of my play, but you'll at least get some practice vs. the brutes in the game.

Capcom has a Beta Opt In for the game in an attempt to fix the online multiplayer. Instructions are found in this thread if you want to contribute and test the changes before they go live.

Also remember that the Lizard hacking group is DDOS'ing as many gaming portals as they can. So that may affect your gaming experience also.

I've been using the beta patch since last week and it does make a pretty big difference. Very little random freezing and pausing. While not perfect, it's not much different from PSN, which is what I was used to.
The one catch is that it seems as though you're only able to play other people who install the patch. The endless lobbies have gone from dozens to 2-3 when I've been on.

Back