Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs Releasing In March For $42.99

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
An announcement from Lionsgate and Amazon listings suggest that UHD BD releases of newer films may be priced as high as $42.99. Should a Vin Diesel movie really cost that much?

Each 4K UHD release will be packaged with a Blu-ray and Digital HD copy and will contain all previously released special features. Sicario and The Last Witch Hunter will be available at the suggested retail price of $42.99. Ender's Game and The Expendables 3 will be priced at $22.99 SRP.

Amazon seems to have new releases priced at $29.99, with older releases closer to the standard BluRay price. $42.99 is outrageous.

I won't pay $5 for a DVD any more. How the hell do they expect me to pay this ?

They always start off high. For the first year, players will be expensive and those who buy them don't care about price. Ultimately, the key is going to be content. Most of the movies I've seen listed aren't movies I'd buy.

I won't pay $5 for a DVD any more. How the hell do they expect me to pay this ?
Much like rocks on the ground, you're not the target market. ;)

It's just an early adopter MSRP. They'll be cheaper in the wild. Cool to see them packaged with the Blu-ray and digital copy.

That looks about right. Right now Blu-ray movies can run you $20 - $32 depending on the movie, so I would expect 4K to be higher for right now. As others said this will come down after some times. Just like DVD and Blu-ray. People seem to forget that new technology starts higher priced for a little bit until it is mass produced and becomes more of the norm bring the price down. So give it a year or two and you will see the prices come down. Just like the players, they might be $400+ to start with but will come down also.

As for it coming with Blu-ray and digital. That is kind of expected. Right now if you buy a Blu-ray movie you get a digital copy and a DVD copy. Unless you buy a 3D movie in which instead of the DVD from what I have noticed you just get the 2D version as the second copy. I don't know if have noticed before where you get a 3D Blu-ray, 2D Blu-ray and DVD although I also didn't have a 3D tv so didn't spend the extra on 3D movies so didn't pay much attention to them.

I am excited that 4K physical media is finally a thing. While I do like digital, I do like movies better when they are physical as they have less compression then. And in this case it will help push more 4K digital also which right now there is very little. Netflix has maybe 3 movies and then their own shows. Vudu has maybe 20 4K movies for sell. Right now there is just no way to get 4K movies so at least this will jump start that so that those of us with 4K TVs will actually be able to start getting content for them.

I wish they would just package one disc! Forget adding Bluray and DVD. I just want the 4k Disc or I just want the Bluray Disc, I do not need any thing else.

I wish they would just package one disc! Forget adding Bluray and DVD. I just want the 4k Disc or I just want the Bluray Disc, I do not need any thing else.

You know if they did that they wouldn't drop the price any significant amount. They'd just pocket the difference. I'd say be happy they're including the others. Can't you resell a non-used license (for the digital copies or the DVD) on eBay? Or have they managed to get that outlawed?

I think robotcop 1, non directors cut, was $35 when it first came out on dvd, yet the matrix was like 10 bucks forever.

4k should cost as much as regular bluray disc. They are mastering it for the same source as the 1080p bluray, and i believe the licensing for h265 is cheaper than h264.

Soo what's the word on UHD players currently? There are a lot available that say 4K upscaling, are they actually UHD readers though?

Soo what's the word on UHD players currently? There are a lot available that say 4K upscaling, are they actually UHD readers though?

Not yet, that is what these are being released for. There is a new 4K blu-ray standard. Players start around $400. They all go on sale (players and media) first of March. You can't play these in existing players but need a new one.

Not yet, that is what these are being released for. There is a new 4K blu-ray standard. Players start around $400. They all go on sale (players and media) first of March. You can't play these in existing players but need a new one.

I'm probably going to wait for the new TVs to come out before buying one of these...that and for a lot more content. I wonder if they'll have PC drives that play them...and if so, I wonder if AnyDVD is giong to require me to buy another version (hope not). I kinda like tossing a BD in a PC and using Kodi or any other player to view it.

But can I play them on the PC with my blu ray drive?

It's just an early adopter MSRP. They'll be cheaper in the wild. Cool to see them packaged with the Blu-ray and digital copy.

When I got my first DVD reader in 1998 I remember movies that were over $50.

When I got my first DVD reader in 1998 I remember movies that were over $50.

How long did your DVD reader last? We had a DVD reader on our computer from 1998 and by the time we actually got a DVD player, it couldn't player more than half the discs we had. No idea why.

That's one of the more unnerving things about Bluray. There's a disclaimer that comes with every player that basically says that it cannot guarantee that it will player future generation bluray discs. Yay...

How long did your DVD reader last? We had a DVD reader on our computer from 1998 and by the time we actually got a DVD player, it couldn't player more than half the discs we had. No idea why.

That's one of the more unnerving things about Bluray. There's a disclaimer that comes with every player that basically says that it cannot guarantee that it will player future generation bluray discs. Yay...

How long was it between the time you got your PC DVD-ROM and when you got your DVD player? Was it under heavy use? If it was under heavy use then it probably wore out. If not then it was probably the issue of first gen DVD players not being able to play Dual Layers DVDs which hit the market a bit later.

But can I play them on the PC with my blu ray drive?

AFAIK, it's a new format. I hope they release new drives on PCs, but I suspect just like CD->DVD->BD it requires a h/w upgrade.

Are you talking about PC Drives? I've got a Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive and it plays everything I've thrown at it.

For non-pc players, I would think an internet connection will update the firmware to work with newer disks.

If they are going to have such a high price tag they can at least select movies that are worth buying. I am looking forward to the format but in a world that is becoming dominated by streaming its hard to justify that intro price.

If they are going to have such a high price tag they can at least select movies that are worth buying. I am looking forward to the format but in a world that is becoming dominated by streaming its hard to justify that intro price.

My thoughts as well. Action / Sci-Fi are the only movies I'll consider buying at the UHD premium. No point in paying that much for a stunning looking comedy.

They always start off high. For the first year, players will be expensive and those who buy them don't care about price. Ultimately, the key is going to be content. Most of the movies I've seen listed aren't movies I'd buy.

That's the problem, their target market consists of almost no one.

I've never bought a DVD movie, don't have an optical drive in my current pc, and the last time i used one was for installing a driver or playing oblivion at work lol.

Definitely not the target audience. I haven't seen the new star wars either nor do I plan to any time soon, if ever.

How long was it between the time you got your PC DVD-ROM and when you got your DVD player? Was it under heavy use? If it was under heavy use then it probably wore out. If not then it was probably the issue of first gen DVD players not being able to play Dual Layers DVDs which hit the market a bit later.

Ah, I think it was a dual-layer issue. The DVD drive, right up until we pitched the PC, worked with no problems. It could only read certain discs, and I'm convinced now that it couldn't read dual-layer discs.

Example is the Terminator. It couldn't play the main disc, but had no problems playing the bonus disc. It also had no problems playing The Outsiders. This was right up until we upgraded that old piece of crap (Pentium II system) to a Pentium 4 with a Radeon 9700pro. :cool:

Are you talking about PC Drives? I've got a Blu-Ray/HD DVD drive and it plays everything I've thrown at it.

For non-pc players, I would think an internet connection will update the firmware to work with newer disks.

In my specific example of my DVD drive not working, I was talking about a PC drive. But I think, as others have mentioned before, features like being able to read different layers and such may come down to a hardware-level thing. Though I could see a firmware update being able to take care of it, potentially.

I have over 1000 DVD's in my library, so don't get the wrong idea here. There are just so many other ways to consume media these days, I just rent for one-timers and use the usual streaming candidates for everything else.

If the internet goes down, I've got a top notch 1000 DVD library to choose from.

I'm probably going to wait for the new TVs to come out before buying one of these...that and for a lot more content. I wonder if they'll have PC drives that play them...and if so, I wonder if AnyDVD is giong to require me to buy another version (hope not). I kinda like tossing a BD in a PC and using Kodi or any other player to view it.

Um... 4K TV have been out for years. So there is nothing to wait for. This has been the issue, there has been 4K tvs, but nothing really to watch on them as this time there was no content along with the resolution change.

But can I play them on the PC with my blu ray drive?/QUOTE]

No, you are going to need a new drive. Don't get confused by the Blu-ray name. This is the same as DVD to HD DVD. They aren't the same format, they are completely different. Same here Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray are completely different formats that require different drivers / players.

That's the problem, their target market consists of almost no one.

It consist of people that buy movies. Also those that understand real prices vs suggested prices. Go look at Best Buy The Last Witch Hunter, Sicario, The Expendables 3, Enders Game, all of these are $29.99 for the 4K UHD Blu-ray version. They are NOT $42.99 they are $30. Normal Blu-ray movies are $24. So you are paying about $5 more for the 4k version than the HD version. That is the same price as a digital 4K copy online if you buy from Vudu. If you care about 4k then you are willing to spent a few extra dollars on a movie. Now just because the normal price when a movie comes out is $22 for a DVD, $25 for a Blu-ray and now $30 for a 4K Blu-ray does that mean that every movie that you purchase cost that much? Nope, a few months after release the price goes down, so you can get movies for $10 - $15 and the same will happen here were after a few months the older movies start ending up at a cheaper price.

In my specific example of my DVD drive not working, I was talking about a PC drive. But I think, as others have mentioned before, features like being able to read different layers and such may come down to a hardware-level thing. Though I could see a firmware update being able to take care of it, potentially.

Strange. I'm pretty sure the 1 or 2x DVD RW I bought could read DL (wasn't that part of the original spec?), but I could be wrong. I know my Pioneer DVD player could and it was from early 98 as I recall.

I think DL requires the laser to focus on the 2nd layer...so maybe that was the issue. I did not have a DVD drive for my PC until several years later, so if PC drives had an issue, that's probably why I avoided it on that side.

I have over 1000 DVD's in my library, so don't get the wrong idea here. There are just so many other ways to consume media these days, I just rent for one-timers and use the usual streaming candidates for everything else.

If the internet goes down, I've got a top notch 1000 DVD library to choose from.

I understand, but if HDR improves the quality as much as is claimed, then I'm willing to buy disks. Obviously if I can Redbox them, that'd work too. I'm sure eventually Netflix will have lots of HDR content, but not now...and it's never going to be as good as a Blu Ray...same with Prime Video.

That said, I wouldn't pay 30 bucks for very many (if any) movies, but I also don't watch DVDs very much. Some are OK, but a lot of older ones just don't look good anymore.

Um... 4K TV have been out for years. So there is nothing to wait for. This has been the issue, there has been 4K tvs, but nothing really to watch on them as this time there was no content along with the resolution change.

No it's not. 4K Blu Ray is supposed to support HDR and that's what interests me. Thus I'd rather wait for the new sets, because they're only the 2nd generation to support HDR.

No it's not. 4K Blu Ray is supposed to support HDR and that's what interests me. Thus I'd rather wait for the new sets, because they're only the 2nd generation to support HDR.

My 4K TV supports HDR. So they are out there now. But then again I think my TV might be a newer model. I just got it last weekend so now sure how long this exact line has been out with the current features.

My 4K TV supports HDR. So they are out there now. But then again I think my TV might be a newer model. I just got it last weekend so now sure how long this exact line has been out with the current features.

First gen came out last year, but 2nd gen was shown at CES. I'm just going to wait and see till they're out. Worse case scenario, I get a discount on last year's model.

It was an ASUS DVD-ROM I've never had problems playing any disc with it, if there was a problem it was on the software side. Like the original Matrix DVD had some tricks in it, that made most software players and even set top players go haywire.

I got my first set top DVD player much later, at least 5 years, and it was a Yamada, that with a hacked firmware could play almost everything you could threw at it at the time short of HD. But it did MP4, MPG, AVI, DIVX and whatnot. I've stopped buying DVDs by that time, because I decided if I'm going to pay for a movie I want it in HD. Now I'm in the same boat: If I'm going to pay for a movie I want it in 4K. But I still won't pay more than $10 for a single movie.

Actually I'm wrong. I just remembered. My original DVD-ROM in 1998 was a Toshiba I think. But I'm not sure. And it didn't last very long.

While I certainly welcome this, it's going to cost a decent amount of money all around.
You'll need a new drive or player. If you're on a PC I'm sure Cyberlink's going to charge you another $100 for software needed to play those disks, too. The new consoles can't play 'em, so that's yet another device to worry about. If you want surround sound you'll need an HDMI 2.0 receiver along with whatever audio support is needed (like Atmos if that catches on more).

I don't think I'm going to be on the early adopter train this time. I keep my all-time favorite movies on disks (and HQ rips I made) but with most things I'm finding myself willing to deal with streams. Especially factoring in the cost of all that stuff.

Back