Ultra 400W Modular ATX Power Supply - $32.99. Warm?

hafaznmatt

Limp Gawd
Found this on while browsing TigerDirect's page for [H].

Seems like theres only a few left.

LINK

Thoughts?

:p

Says $39.72 now. But surprisingly... not based off rebate.

That power supply is of surprisingly poor quality. I've had other Ultra PSUs, and all have worked great except that model. It looks and feels so cheap that I had predicted it would die. http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032394788&postcount=3 It died a couple of weeks later.

I have a dead one that i'm debating whether it's worth it or not to return to Ultra for replacement (blown caps from a very light load), or take it as a $15AR lesson. :p :(

That power supply is of surprisingly poor quality. I've had other Ultra PSUs, and all have worked great except that model. It looks and feels so cheap that I had predicted it would die. http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032394788&postcount=3 It died a couple of weeks later.

I have a dead one that i'm debating whether it's worth it or not to return to Ultra for replacement (blown caps from a very light load), or take it as a $15AR lesson. :p :(

All Ultra V-Series units I've used thus far have been great.

A 350w V-Series has been powering my parents' rig for about 2 years now, and a 500w V-Series held me over for a couple months while I waited to sort out an RMA on my main PSU. Additionally, a friend's build has been using a 500w Ultra V-Series for 2 years, 24/7 usage.

All Ultra V-Series units I've used thus far have been great.
The non-modular V-Series PSUs are fine, but this cheap X-Connect model does not feel like the same quality. I'm only giving my impression of it after buying one, predicting the failure of it and seeing it happen a couple of weeks later with just an occasional/light load. YMMV. Maybe. ;)

why bother with questioning yourself if the PSU is good or not. Just buy one that already has a great reputation. PSU's are a vital piece

why bother with questioning yourself if the PSU is good or not. Just buy one that already has a great reputation. PSU's are a vital piece

Actually, if the PSU goes bad, there is a slight chance that it could damage the other components of your system. True, it is a vital piece, which is why it has to be stable. I built a couple systems that had Ultra power supplies for some customers, and no complaints. Of course, they dont overclock, which is a whole different story.

Back