Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 earphones - $99

I wish so badly that I could use IEM's. I wanted to buy these but both my Shure E2C's and my V-Moda Bass FreQs gave me ear pain, headaches, and wax buildup no matter what tips I used. I tried foam, plastic, and silicone and nothing helped :(.

Oh well, I love my HD 25-1 II's but for $99 it was so hard to pass these up.

FWIW, I didn't like the E2C's either. Never could get them comfy in my ears. That was years ago however. For the ear wax, I read a post on head-fi once that suggested rinsing your ears in the shower. I know everyone's different, but this has solved any ear wax problem I used to have. Rarely, if ever do I leave residue on anything anymore. Basically, I palm my ears when I'm cleaning my face w/ the foamy stuff. I let it sit there for awhile, then put my ears up to the shower so the water can bounce around in there. Do the same for the other side and that's it. I do poke my ears w/ a finger through kleenex lightly a couple times to dry them out, but certainly no q-tips.

And the best tips I've found so far are the Complys...for comfort at least. I can wear those for hours.

Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon
as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s)
may be delivered:

"Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphones"
Estimated arrival date: December 24 2009

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.
hmm

Ordered mine on Friday, 12/4. When I check, the status is still "Order in Process". Lame...

Still no updates. I want these before Christmas - my gift for myself. Still very lame.

Yah, everyday I check my status and everyday it says,"2 weeks..."

:D to those that get the reference from a certain FPS PC demo about 5 years back.

Well, the pending charge is gone from my credit card, and my order still says in process...

Does this mean that something's going wrong here, or that the hold they put on my funds expired? :(

Got mine the day before yesterday and tried them out. I love 'em. The bass is liquid but tight, the treble is clear and it all sounds like a decent hifi system.

Well worth $100, but not sure I could have justified 'em at $400.

Well, the pending charge is gone from my credit card, and my order still says in process...

Does this mean that something's going wrong here, or that the hold they put on my funds expired? :(

it means they verified that you had the funds when you bought the IEMs, but the hold has since fallen off.

I wouldn't worry. It seems like the ship date is moving up with each email. At one point it wasn't going to ship before next year. Now Amazon is saying it will arrive by 12/24. That's pretty good, IMO.

FWIW, I got mine today. The come with 4 sets of latex covers (1sm 2med 1 lg) and 2 pairs of foam covers. It has an adapter to change the cable from an iPhone head set/mic to a standard stereo headset.

I like the sound. Wish I still had my 5 pros to compare them with. Haven't had those for almost 2 years. I'll compare them to my OTE Sennheisers at work next week. I expect that base is still a bit better on the Senns, but the detail on the 10's is better (but won't know till I go back to work).

Got mine the day before yesterday and tried them out. I love 'em. The bass is liquid but tight, the treble is clear and it all sounds like a decent hifi system.

Well worth $100, but not sure I could have justified 'em at $400.

I wouldn't pay 400 for them unless I was a musician looking for IEMs...and even then I'd probably go cheaper.

Truth is that these typically sell for around 250-300 on eBay, but it varies. One thing's for sure, there's a lot of profit in these suckers. I seriously doubt that Logitech and Ebay were selling these for a loss.

I wouldn't pay 400 for them unless I was a musician looking for IEMs...and even then I'd probably go cheaper.

Truth is that these typically sell for around 250-300 on eBay, but it varies. One thing's for sure, there's a lot of profit in these suckers. I seriously doubt that Logitech and Ebay were selling these for a loss.

The development is probably where most of the cost goes to, manufacturing them shouldn't cost much as they are mostly plastic. And I am pretty sure this sale indicates the phase out of triple.fi 10 and replace it with something more appeal to the mass audience, much like they did with super.fi 5.

The development is probably where most of the cost goes to, manufacturing them shouldn't cost much as they are mostly plastic. And I am pretty sure this sale indicates the phase out of triple.fi 10 and replace it with something more appeal to the mass audience, much like they did with super.fi 5.

According to head-fi posts, Logitech said that the Triple.fi 10 is no longer made, but the vi is not going anywhere. They said that they had no idea why Amazon was selling the vi for 99 dollars.

If you go to logitech's site, they have the vi's in stock, but they do not have the regular 10's.
Speculation is that they determined that it was cheaper to just have the one product with the same packaging than to sell both. Considering the only difference is the cable and the extra cable that converts the jack from a phone connector to a DAP/audio connector, that makes sense.

All in all, I like the sound of these things. I tossed in some old 2 track recordings (James Newton Howard and Friends, as well as Flim and the BB's Neon and a couple of tracks from Tricycle) and these things sing if you turn them up.

The down side is that bass response is a bit low if you don't crank them up. I'll have to play with the eq on the old Karma to see if I can fix it for lower volumes.

The downside of that test was it was quite a let down to listen to newer pop/rock music, which all sounds kinda muddy and distorted after listening to those CDs. I wish clean production would come back into vogue. What can you do....man cannot live on 80's jazz/new age music.

Yah, everyday I check my status and everyday it says,"2 weeks..."

:D to those that get the reference from a certain FPS PC demo about 5 years back.

I still play UT2004. :)

Mine got home on Saturday.. gonna sell two of them and see what I want to do with the third pair. Not sure I'll keep them, what with the JH13 and all.

I think I might have to sell mine, the canal piece is just way too big for me compared to my Shure E4s. I can't believe they were made so big :( I think I read somewhere (probably fatwallet) that you can get some 3rd party companies to make custom shells for you for around $100 (much cheaper than using Logitech), maybe I'll look into that first...

I think I might have to sell mine, the canal piece is just way too big for me compared to my Shure E4s. I can't believe they were made so big :( I think I read somewhere (probably fatwallet) that you can get some 3rd party companies to make custom shells for you for around $100 (much cheaper than using Logitech), maybe I'll look into that first...

Yea, but the reason why is the the TRIPLE part of it whereas the Shures would only have two.

But yea, they could've made them smaller, but like I warned everyone multiple times in this thread- these are big earphones.

talked to one of the reps on customer support, they said that when they got slammed on the 4th of dec, the server didnt have time to update out of stock, they said my order wont process until the 18th. So i have to change the shipping address so it will reach home in time for christmas.

Thanks for the update Quaker. I was about to call them to find out what was going on with my order. Guess I should wait for a few more days and check again.

Try these guys.
http://www.complyfoam.com/

talked to one of the reps on customer support, they said that when they got slammed on the 4th of dec, the server didnt have time to update out of stock, they said my order wont process until the 18th. So i have to change the shipping address so it will reach home in time for christmas.

Same here. I called and told them I need it shipped to a different address now, and they said to call them back once I get the tracking notice around the 18th. Then they will take care of redirecting the package to the new address.

I could be wrong, but I believe that once you do that, you'll have a hard time reselling your IEMs. As I understand it, they basically take them apart and build them into a custom mold.

On Head-Fi, one of the comments was that it reduces bass (may accentuate highs) when you get the $80.00 custom molding.

So far, I'm pretty happy with them....but I need to watch the volume...it's so easy to crank it up without realizing how loud it is.

They come with 2 sets of Comply tips. I'm not clear what he doesn't like. Is it the part that holds the drivers, or the part that goes in the ear. I'd assume he means the part in the ear, because I don't think the protrusion matters, unless you're laying on your side (which I never do with headphones).

I had a hard time with my SF5 Pro's depending on how they were oriented. The body of 'em would hit part of my ear preventing proper insertion depth.

I could be wrong, but I believe that once you do that, you'll have a hard time reselling your IEMs. As I understand it, they basically take them apart and build them into a custom mold.
True, but most folks getting these really dont consider that as a factor :)
I guess for folks just spending $100 on them it might be a factor.

The body of 'em would hit part of my ear preventing proper insertion depth.
TMI, sounds like a personal problem :p

Yea, but the reason why is the the TRIPLE part of it whereas the Shures would only have two.

But yea, they could've made them smaller, but like I warned everyone multiple times in this thread- these are big earphones.

My Shure's are actually a single driver. I also ordered the headphones 7 hours before you replied to the thread ;)

They come with 2 sets of Comply tips. I'm not clear what he doesn't like. Is it the part that holds the drivers, or the part that goes in the ear. I'd assume he means the part in the ear, because I don't think the protrusion matters, unless you're laying on your side (which I never do with headphones).

I don't mind the protrusion, it is the canal part of the headphone. I apparently have some pretty small ear canals (for reference, I use the small black foam tips for my Shure E4s). If you compare the size of the canal piece on the triple.fi and the E4, there is a signficant difference in size. I can't use the small rubber tips on the triple.fi at all, and even compressing the comply tips doesn't make it small enough to be completely comfortable (and they tend to fall out since I don't think there is a great seal). I don't see any different tips fixing the problem when the plastic canal piece on the triple.fis are already like twice the size of the plastic piece in my E4s.

On Head-Fi, one of the comments was that it reduces bass (may accentuate highs) when you get the $80.00 custom molding.

I figured they would have to take it apart. I don't really mind the whole resell thing since I'd be getting these for cheap still. I'm also somewhat of a collector when it comes to audio stuff, so I don't really like selling old headphones.

I first experienced these w/ the Super.Fi 5 version 2's and they were very comfortable. I could wear them for hours w/ no discomfort. Do we know what version comes w/ the Triple.Fi's?

I don't see any different tips fixing the problem when the plastic canal piece on the triple.fis are already like twice the size of the plastic piece in my E4s.
I had to return a pair of Headdirect RE0's because of the wide metal housing pushing apart the cartilage of my lower ear. It caused pain within 30 minutes. I have worn my buddy's Triple.Fi's briefly and I don't remember it being a problem. We'll see when they get here.

I first experienced these w/ the Super.Fi 5 version 2's and they were very comfortable. I could wear them for hours w/ no discomfort. Do we know what version comes w/ the Triple.Fi's?

I had to return a pair of Headdirect RE0's because of the wide metal housing pushing apart the cartilage of my lower ear. It caused pain within 30 minutes. I have worn my buddy's Triple.Fi's briefly and I don't remember it being a problem. We'll see when they get here.

Looks like they're medium or small (I'll have to go to radioshack to see what they look like). They do not have the built in screen, which is meaningless to me, since I never had any wax get into my Super.fi 5 pros, so I don't think that's likely to change.

BTW, I'm not sure I understand how they hit your lower ear. I'm pretty sure you're suppose to where these with the wire pointing up.

BTW, I'm not sure I understand how they hit your lower ear. I'm pretty sure you're suppose to where these with the wire pointing up.
I'm referring to the RE0's. Now, these are not the RE0's, but the picture shows the 2 parts of the ear that get bulged out w/ the RE0's on my ear.

31182963_239.jpg

Now the Triple.Fi's going up and over my ear didn't seem to have this problem IIRC. They sort of angle out as well. Wire's up or down didn't matter w/ the RE0, they just stuck straight out w/ their fatness.

Now the Triple.Fi's going up and over my ear didn't seem to have this problem IIRC. They sort of angle out as well. Wire's up or down didn't matter w/ the RE0, they just stuck straight out w/ their fatness.

Got it. I actually tried putting the Triple.fis in with the wire down, and it was OK that way, but I if they're pointing up and go over the ear, it helps reduce the sound traveling up the wire (telephonics?).

I've heard microphonics before, but I think even that's the wrong term. Let's going it "cable noise." :D

I'm just afraid of bending the wire as it's been reported to break from quite a few head-fiers. My buddy's shell actually broke and he's going to have to re-solder it. But he's terribly irresponsible w/ them. Not only does he take them to the gym and sweat all over them, but he FALLS ASLEEP WITH THEM. Oh haha...crazy crazyfinx.

I've heard microphonics before, but I think even that's the wrong term. Let's going it "cable noise." :D

I'm just afraid of bending the wire as it's been reported to break from quite a few head-fiers. My buddy's shell actually broke and he's going to have to re-solder it. But he's terribly irresponsible w/ them. Not only does he take them to the gym and sweat all over them, but he FALLS ASLEEP WITH THEM. Oh haha...crazy crazyfinx.

If it was within a year, the warranty should cover his shell problem. As for the wires breaking, it's just too soon for me to tell, but the stiff portion that is near the base of the IEM seems about the same as the original Super.fi wires. With that said, if you have to replace them, there are more durable wires out their available for around 70 bucks on eBay. No idea if they're any good or if cable noise is an issue, but it's an option.

ahrg! just finding this thread now! wish i could find these for $99

if anyone doesn't like them, PM me and i'll happily take them off your hands!

So Logitech still hasn't shipped mine... and I'm starting to get pissed. It's been almost two weeks now, would it be wise to give them a call?

So Logitech still hasn't shipped mine... and I'm starting to get pissed. It's been almost two weeks now, would it be wise to give them a call?

Amazon hasn't shipped mine, either. I'm supposed to get them the 24th :D

Good thing I wasnt planning on these as Xmas gifts.

Woot, Logitech just shipped them! :D

I'm still debating whether or not to call and ask for a refund on the 2nd day shipping though.

Back