Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 earphones - $99

Do you even know what the hell a double blind study is?
What you're describing is not a double blind study.

Do you? What I described is a double blind study.

But to make it clearer:

Person A sets up product 1 and Product 2 and Labels them as X and Y.
Person 2 performs a study with people asking them to compare X and Y.
Person 2 has no idea if X is product 1 or Product 2.
In fact, for all Person 2 knows, X and Y are one and the same.

The triple.fi can't "burn-in" like dynamic earphones/speakers. It uses a triple-armature design - hence the triple.fi. Armature headphones is a completely different technology with no diaphragm to break in.

And yet, I'm fairly certain I've reviews on headfi stating that UE IEMs sound better after breaking them in.

I've heard the same thing about solid state amps. Is it true? I don't know, but as with most things, I'm skeptical.

And yet, I'm fairly certain I've reviews on headfi stating that UE IEMs sound better after breaking them in.

I've heard the same thing about solid state amps. Is it true? I don't know, but as with most things, I'm skeptical.

Maybe the same type of people who believe that cables need burn in. Burn in is real, but it's effect really varies. Some are extremely noticeable, some change very subtly to not at all. AFAIK, SS amps don't burn-in. There's a lotta people on head-fi that misunderstand concepts or try to apply burn-in to everything. I haven't in on head-fi actively for a couple years and when I was there, the knowledge of the community seemed to be getting progressively worse. So there's either a new line of dynamic UE's or more idiots roaming head-fi.

But to make it clearer:

I believe that Person A can't in fact know what is labeled what.

The study wouldn't work then because no one would know what is what! Someone has to know at some point during the experiment.

did that really go over your head? Person A is just some person thats setting up the test but not involved in the testing. Hence why its a double blind test. After its setup a tester and testee come in both oblivious to what they are.

Exactly.

Actually it's $99.99 AR. $150 pre-rebate.

Looks like it's sold out again.
Looks like plenty of folks selling it at the $200 pricepoint now. If I resell mine I'm waiting until 2010 to do so, after the holidays are over and the market isn't flooded with the $100 sets anymore.

My shipping date is tomorrow (Dec 9th), and I ordered them at the original sale price of $100...

I got my order today. I'm listening to some 320cbr mp3's and after the first song they sound pretty muffled compared to my ATH-AD700s. I suppose this is most likely just due to my setup (x-fi platinum using winamp connected to the front panel). They are a little big for my ears, so I may look into getting some custom casing/molds for mine... I'm going to do a more in-depth comparison to my shure e4's later, rather than comparing this to full size headphones :p

Mine still haven't shipped yet... still says order in process. This is starting to piss me off, my friend who got in on the deal after I did and went with standard shipping (I did second day) already got his shipping notice. I'd call up and complain if I wasn't afraid of them cancelling my order :(

Mine still haven't shipped yet... still says order in process. This is starting to piss me off, my friend who got in on the deal after I did and went with standard shipping (I did second day) already got his shipping notice. I'd call up and complain if I wasn't afraid of them cancelling my order :(

It was a legit deal... They won't cancel it.
But complaining probably wouldn't get you anywhere. It'll ship when it ships. Amazon's system is pretty automated and streamlined- what you see on their website is almost always correct.

It was a legit deal... They won't cancel it.
But complaining probably wouldn't get you anywhere. It'll ship when it ships. Amazon's system is pretty automated and streamlined- what you see on their website is almost always correct.
I actually ordered it from Logitech.com, as did my friend. Apparently people's orders have been getting cancelled from that, which is what worries me.

And I really don't care when it ships, I'm just annoyed that I paid $10 extra for second-day when they haven't even shipped it 5 days later.

Person A definitely has to label it. If it's not labeled, how would anyone determine which headphones were burned in and which were not?

It might be required, however, that headphones are labeled X-Y before the box is opened, thus preventing Person A from cherry picking the best pair for whatever result he wants to prove.

Regardless, the person conducting the test doesn't know which pair was burned in and neither does the person who is deciding which pair sounds best.

I actually ordered it from Logitech.com, as did my friend. Apparently people's orders have been getting cancelled from that, which is what worries me.

And I really don't care when it ships, I'm just annoyed that I paid $10 extra for second-day when they haven't even shipped it 5 days later.

Ahhh I was talking about Amazon.
My Logitech order got cancelled in about an hour...

I purchased mine from Logitech.com and mine have already shipped. They are slated to arrive tomorrow, so I will let you know the story once they get here.

Ordered mine on Friday, 12/4. When I check, the status is still "Order in Process". Lame...

Here's a summary of the order you placed on 12/04/09 11:03:29.

Still hasn't shipped for me either...

I am supposed to receive mine tomorrow, I'll report back with my opinion of them.

Just got mine this afternoon from Amazon, free super saver shipping delivered via USPS to California.

Got mine in today, trying them out... compared to the SE-310's they're destroying them even with rubber tips (which I usually hate, I love the foam tips on the SE-310's because they sealed so well).

Now with the foam ears... much more comfortable, better sealed, better everything...

If I'm at my computer I think I'll still use the DT770's but these are pretty damn close and in IEM form.

But to make it clearer:

This is single blind, this is how we do single bind placebo.

In a double blind, A would not know product 1 vs. 2.
Person 1 not knowing is what makes it a DOUBLE blind.

In a double blind A would be given product 1 and 2, both labeled as X.

(I do medical research for a living) ;)

Well, that's good...I think. Cause I read quite a few folks that said it was almost too much treble for them. Then again, opinions on audio related equipment can be so wildly subjective. Out of curiosity, what's your source, song, type, and bitrate?

TY... I gave up, chalked it up to ignorance... I'm kindof forming the opinion to let ignorant people stay ignorant unless it truly effects someone else.

UE TF 10 is not as bright as I hoped it would be :(
Well they're brighter than Shures, but honestly, I've never heard any IEMs that sound as good as a full blown speaker setup. I've never heard headphones that are as good as a full blown speaker setup.

So, take what you will from that... If you're expecting concert-quality (And IMO most concerts sound like crap) you won't get them from stuff like this.

I'm still considering wether I should break one of these open for myself or not :D I don't own a DAP anymore so I think I'll be selling mine after the $100 ones are bought up off Ebay.

Alright, I just tested them out and here is what I think of them:

HT Omega Claro+ -> Fiio E5 -> UE TF10s

Normally, I listen to music through HD555s and Z-2300s for reference. The IEMs themselves do have a little extra bit of length, but I was expecting that from what I've heard about them. The cords have a normal thickness to them, but near the end of the Y split, there seems to be a thin 2 inch wire on both sides that you can bend to get a shaping around your ear or something, I still haven't really figured out the correct way to 'wear' these so I just kinda jammed them into my ear so I got the full sound out of it.

The first song I listened to was Strobe by Deadmau5 (in FLAC). My immediate first impression was the treble seems to have a 'clap' to it, where you expect the pitch, but it still surprised me because it was a lot louder than I'm used to hearing. The detail in the song is obviously incredible, and it's easy to hear the distinct sound waves each synth makes and gives somewhat of a texture to each effect in the song.

Next, was Gunpowder Plot by Evol Intent (in FLAC), a very bass heavy song. The lows this thing can pump out are very strong, just as strong as my Z-2300s, minus the vibrations that makes the entire room shake. To sum it up, I'm very happy with the lows.

Then I took a step away from electronic music and listened to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds by the Beatles (FLAC from the remastered box set). I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but the voice in particular is what stuck out the most in this song. It feels like I can hear everything going on loud and clear, no matter how subtle the song tries to make it, nothing can hide from these IEMs :p.

I just wanted to type up a little short summary to give an idea, but I am by no means an audiophile and I'm failing to describe the very minuscule details that are hard to explain in words. However, if I was just trying these out at a store or from a friend, I would definitely know these IEMs are worth more than $200 upon first impressions. When I get my Sansa Clip Plus, I'll be sure to tone down the highs, raise the mids just a smidge, and leave the bass alone (my Fiio E5 has a bass boosting feature that I use).

If they're both labeled X, and the person says X sounds best, how will you know which X he meant, right?

I thought what made it double blind was that neither the person administering the test nor the person who is doing the listening knows which IEM is which.

I'm clearly missing something.

If they're both labeled X, and the person says X sounds best, how will you know which X he meant, right?

I thought what made it double blind was that neither the person administering the test nor the person who is doing the listening knows which IEM is which.

I'm clearly missing something.

It doesn't matter, audio tests are usually double blind ABX tests.

Not only do the tester and the test taker not know which sample is which, but the test taker listens to a third recording and has to guess which one of the first two that was. If he/she can't figure it out, then their judgement on which of the two samples is better is clearly worthless.

Now I don't know how you would do double blind tests with headphones, as it's kind of obvious which sample is which due to form factor.

Like I said before, mine are coming from Logitech.

STAFFORD, TX, US 12/09/2009 4:06 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
12/09/2009 2:22 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
HOUSTON, TX, US 12/08/2009 11:49 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
12/08/2009 10:48 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MEMPHIS, TN, US 12/08/2009 12:58 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
MEMPHIS, TN, US 12/07/2009 4:41 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 12/07/2009 4:07 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

It doesn't matter, audio tests are usually double blind ABX tests.

Not only do the tester and the test taker not know which sample is which, but the test taker listens to a third recording and has to guess which one of the first two that was. If he/she can't figure it out, then their judgement on which of the two samples is better is clearly worthless.

Now I don't know how you would do double blind tests with headphones, as it's kind of obvious which sample is which due to form factor.

In the scenario I described, both sets of headphones are the same brand. The only difference is one set was burned in for some period of time that supposedly made them sound better.

With that said i still don't see how what you're describing is different than what I described. In my description, the person who labeled the headphones did not administer the test and did not take the test.

The person giving the test and the person taking the test don't know which set was burned in (and if you wanted to you, you could have some tests where neither set was burned in...or both were).

How does either party influence the outcome, if neither person knows which is the burned in pair?

They can't. As best I can tell, that's the definition of double blind.

In single blind, the person administering the experiment knows which is which, but the person participating does not. E.G. I know that X is burned in when i hand them to you, but you do not.

Back