Ultima-90I lapped by CrazyPC

along with 1 120mm panaflo fans (i ordered 2 i actually had to call them to let them know they shorted me a fan) 4 80mm panaflo fans (caught them on a great sale only $2 for each 80mm fan) and a lap kit coming in the mail tomorrow. im going to lap this ultima 90 good real good oh yeaaaah

Glad the Brasso took care of it for ya, I told ya it would =P

As for arriving like that, it would only take a day tops for it to get like that if it was exposed to Oxygen. It is very fast to oxidize. Even after a few hours you might notice a little bit. It could have happened during shipping if it was not covered well enough.

Lapping the Ultima-90 is paradoxical to me. If you want TOP performance, the TRUE120 is a bit better. If you don't care about every last degree, then don't bother lapping.
I didn't want the hassle of something as large and heavy as the Ultra 120, but I gave into the rumors of Thermalright's bases sometimes lacking-in-flatness (which I cannot attest to either way). Honestly, given the smallish overclocks I'm likely to attempt, I doubt I'll have temperature issues on anything better than the stock heatsink, but quiet is always nice too.

I didn't want the hassle of something as large and heavy as the Ultra 120, but I gave into the rumors of Thermalright's bases sometimes lacking-in-flatness (which I cannot attest to either way). Honestly, given the smallish overclocks I'm likely to attempt, I doubt I'll have temperature issues on anything better than the stock heatsink, but quiet is always nice too.

Actually, there are cases (most upside down Lian-Li's, for example) that call for the Ultima 90 instead of the TRUE 120 b/c the 120 simply won't fit properly. My TRUE 120 didn't fit well on my EVGA 680i or 780i board inside the Lian-Li's so I'm contemplating getting an Ultima 90.

So yes, given the choice, I'd pick the 120 over the 90 anyday . . . but sometimes your case of choice forces your hand. Thanks, Lian-Li.

For $19 you could've got yourself a premium lapping kit and done a better job yourself.

Just believe. :D

I take it no one here has ever heard of using salt and vinegar to remove oxidation from copper.

Luder[PAK9];1032092762 said:
I take it no one here has ever heard of using salt and vinegar to remove oxidation from copper.

It's the vinegar that does it, salt is not required, and is just there as an abrasive.

I just wanted to cap off this thread by saying that the CrazyPC guys have been very helpful. I wouldn't feel uncomfortable ordering from them again; their take on customer service is quite personable.

They're apparently trying to recreate what happened to my heatsink through a little experimenting to presumably prevent this from happening to anyone else. The person responsible for the lapping assured me that when they're packaged the heatsinks are entirely dry.

Actually, there are cases (most upside down Lian-Li's, for example) that call for the Ultima 90 instead of the TRUE 120 b/c the 120 simply won't fit properly. My TRUE 120 didn't fit well on my EVGA 680i or 780i board inside the Lian-Li's so I'm contemplating getting an Ultima 90.

So yes, given the choice, I'd pick the 120 over the 90 anyday . . . but sometimes your case of choice forces your hand. Thanks, Lian-Li.

I would be very interested to know if you get the ultima..and if it fits!

I tried the Tuniq on my 680i in a LianLiv1100 (upside down case as you called it ) and damn, wouldnt fit. That mid-floor definately limits the size of a hs to fit. I have a zalma970 in there now, but I'm not convinced its very good..I wanted toreplace it with something a little better

if you do try it..please let us know your results

I would be very interested to know if you get the ultima..and if it fits!

I tried the Tuniq on my 680i in a LianLiv1100 (upside down case as you called it ) and damn, wouldnt fit. That mid-floor definately limits the size of a hs to fit. I have a zalma970 in there now, but I'm not convinced its very good..I wanted toreplace it with something a little better

if you do try it..please let us know your results

I am almost positive the Ultima 90 will fit...in fact, it was recommended to me by a fellow v1000 owner who used it and knows that it fits.

I have yet to try it myself because I just got my system transferred nicely into a TJ09BW case and don't feel like tearing everything apart just for the sake of experimenting with the v2100 (which is basically the same case as your v1100 except (much) taller).

welll..damn..thats great to know..thanks for the response man!

o..to clarify tho..it fits properly oriented too? as in blowing to the rear (exhaust ) as opposed to having it blow up at the video card?

Well, I ordered a Ultima 90i from crazyPC Thursday, got it Friday < go go next day costing more than the HS itself..LOL >

I chose not to have them lap, as just in case it didnt fit, I would be able to RMA. Well, It did fit. So I lapped it myself. 220>1000. Man, love the attachment mechanism too, compared to the difficult Zalman pita. Now that its in, I can easily remove the Ultima without pulling the mobo out. $$

w00t. Brought my stress temps ( Prime95, small ffs 1hour ) down 10 degrees! The qx6700 is a hot running cpu anyway ya do it, and OC'd by bumping the Multi from 10x to 12x gives me 3.2, found my lowest stable voltage at 1.26875, I max out at 68, down from 78! with the Zalman 9700 I had. Idle is down to 44,44, 38, 38 from 50, 49, 45, 45. I used a Scythe SFlex F 120 on the Ultima 90i. Nice and quiet and superior performance. I did also use the x23-7763 too.

Just ordered a new exhaust case fan too, Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan that will help too, as the gimp coolermaster in there now is, well, gimp. I read that that case fan is potentially loud, but I wanted something with more static pressure to really pull air out, through that grate the Lian Li has on the exhaust area. Hopefully the 38mm depth Scythe will help as well, as case temps are probably contributing to my temps.

I have to agree looks horrible, have you done the razor blade & light test to see if it's actually as flat as it should be? I would also ask for my money back and get some sand paper with those 19 bucks and finish the job. Wouldn't oxidation affect performance?

I have to agree looks horrible, have you done the razor blade & light test to see if it's actually as flat as it should be?
It seems that the Brasso did the trick without resorting to sandpaper (page #2 has a post-Brasso picture). I didn't have any razor blades lying around, but I did try a flashlight and a ruler and I could not detect any light passing underneath when I first unpackaged the heatsink.

I'm amazed how crappy that turned out... and amazed that they charged $19 for it. I bought enough sandpaper to lap 20 heatsinks for approximately $10. The first lapping job with said sandpaper turned out quite nice I might add. I'm gladd to see that the Brasso got that crap off though.

Bump because I just received my lapped TRUE 120 from Crazy PC, and the job is great. It's a damn near mirror finish, flat, and no oxidation or anything that I can see. If I had a digital camera, I'd post pics, but alas...

I have an Ultima90 w/120mm fan on it and it does a damn good job for cooling. It's on a [email protected] and doesn't run above 60C under full load on all four cores. The temperature differences between the different cores isn't much so it's likely the heatspreader and base of the heatsink are mostly flat and not work the time to lap them.

I also have a TRUE and was getting terrible temps with it. It was maxing out at 68C under full load on the hottest core while the lowest core was around 48C. That told me there was something seriously wrong with something. I started lapping the base of the TRUE and it was obvious that was the problem. After an hour worth of work, it was good to go. I ended up lapping the heatspreader as well but as I figured it was perfectly flat to begin with since I had no trouble with the old watercooling I had on it previously. After the lapping the CPU rarely goes above 55C on the hottest core until my room temps hit about 80F. This is in an Antec P182 case with all three 120mm fans on high. I used 320 grit then moved to 600 grit and finished with 1000 grit sandpaper for my lapping. I have some polish which I believe is equivalent to 2000 grit but it wasn't worth the time or effort.

I also have a Tuniq Tower on a [email protected]. The temps between the cores is pretty much the same so it looks like it doesn't need to be lapped. However, it runs about 4-5C more than the TRUE although it is much cheaper. Something to keep in mind about the Tuniq is that the stock fan it comes with isn't every good even when at full speed. When I get the chance, I'm going to put a higher CFM fan in it which I believe with drop the temps at least 2C.

I took the CrazyPC $19 lapping on a TRUE 120 a couple weeks back (yes, I'm lazy). It came bagged with plastic wrap surrounding the base. Nice finish and worked great. I ended up removing it to try a Xigmatek HSF but I plan on hopping back to the TRUE this weekend. Liked their service so much, I bought another lapped TRUE 120 last night.

It's not bad. It's cooling just as well as the TRUE did in this current build. But the push pins had to go when I bent one plastic pin and the rubber fan mounting... Had enough rubber on one enough to pull what needed to be pulled through the fan hole after having one rip on me. Ended up using the TRUE's bolt down. But I'm going to give a 38mm thick fan a shot and rather than screw with the rubber mounts, just going to go back to the TRUE. But I would buy a Xigmatek again for another build. Cheaper and works damn well.

I didnt read this whole thread but figured id put in my .02. Ive gotten two lapped sinks from Crazy PC. Both were not flat (checked with razor blade) and both looked as if they were not dried properly before being put back in the box. I used some mothers aluminum wheel polish which brought the surface out to a mirror shine so overall it looked really good but I dont beleive they took enough time to get the sink as flat as it could have been.

I'd be very wary of purchasing the lapping option. They don't give you any guarantee of the quality of work. Sanding from 220 to 1000 is very little insight. If you ever do some extensive lapping you'll see just how complicated it can be. A 2 inch square with an ungainly radiator on top is a recipe for rounded edges. Like a poster said about his HS, do the razor blade test. A scratched up FLAT HS is far better than a rounded shiny one. If you HS is not flat it's better to have a flat one with scratch marks, so get the sandpaper out and fix it, otherwise you're be sqeazing far more thermal compound in the uneven one than filling in a few tiny scratches.

I would be interested in more information on how they lap the heatsinks. As a business I would expect results that would be better than what I could do with a piece of flat glass and some sandpaper. I would also expect them to have measureable quality assurances. The investment of a micrometer and a few diamond stones would surely pay for itself in the repuation they would gain for their precision. If they aren't able to guarantee a 2 inch square HS to within a .001" I wouldn't be interested.

If anyone has any more information on this, that'd be great.

II would be interested in more information on how they lap the heatsinks. As a business I would expect results that would be better than what I could do with a piece of flat glass and some sandpaper. I would also expect them to have measureable quality assurances.

Tell that to Thermalright XP It's hard to believe that a manufacturer of well designed heatsinks gets it so wrong.

I just got my lapped True 120E. They did a very good job at lapping and its shining. I would buy a lapped HSF from these guys again.

Ever seen an aluminum intake manifold shined up like a mirror but matches up to your heads like they were drawing schematics with a crayon? Shiny does NOT equal quality. Otherwise YOUR car would clearly be the fastest car ever. If you want quality, start judging by standards other than shiny. The raccoon that gets his hand trapped in a one-way trap in seek of the shiny can attest to that, expand beyond raccoon, I plead. (Damn was that a Where the Red Fern Grows Quote?, damn)

Back