Ultima-90: Is it supposed to feel like that?

spin02

Limp Gawd
I just finished putting together my first Intel based rig. So yesterday I decide to go ahead and install the Ultima-90. The instructions seems simple enough, but it didn't seem to be a very solid fit on the mobo. I disassembled and tried it again. Still it didn't fell as I had imagined. I decided to go ahead and boot. Immediatly, I jumped into the bios to check temp, It was running at 40*C. I continued into the OS and everything seemed fine. After the case was assemble I ran a few hours of prime95. The idle temp was 42*C and with both cores under a load it was 52*C.

These temps seem reasonable to me. Is it normal for the Ultima to feel like it isn't securely mounted?

From what I can tell, all the bolts are tightened fully. They seem to have a stop when fully engaged.

i have a Ultima-90 also. i knew it was gonna be 'loose' feeling if i used just the stock retention system. so in my case i had some leftover foam sheets that i purchased from joann's for sound dampening purposes and cut little rectangles to go between the retention plate and the heatsink itself. the foam is 2mm thick and with it in place, i could not twist the heatsink in any direction. i haven't tested temps or anything since the system isn't up yet, but i've read others with the 120 xtreme do the same thing and got better temps so i though why not on the Ultima-90 too.

its a cheap little mod you can do. the sheets of foam are 9"x12" and cost less then a buck.

Back