UL Benchmarks Updates 3DMark with Ray-Tracing Feature Test

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The 3DMark DirectX Raytracing feature test includes an interactive mode that lets you move freely around the scene and take screenshots. You can control the focus point and aperture of the camera to explore different depth of field effects using raytracing.

Test your graphics card with 3DMark
3DMark includes several tests to help you measure and compare the performance of the latest graphics cards.

• Use the 3DMark DirectX Raytracing feature test to measure the performance of dedicated raytracing hardware
  • Run the 3DMark Port Royal benchmark to test graphics performance with a game-like mix of traditional DirectX 12 rendering and real-time raytracing
  • Run 3DMark Time Spy Extreme to test and compare DirectX 12 performance
  • Use 3DMark Stress Tests to check GPU stability and cooling performance over longer periods of heavy load
3DMark Advanced Edition
The DirectX Raytracing feature test is available now as a free update for 3DMark Advanced Edition.

3DMark Advanced Edition owners who purchased 3DMark before January 8, 2019, will need to upgrade to unlock the latest raytracing tests. The 3DMark Port Royal upgrade DLC adds Port Royal, the DirectX Raytracing feature test, and the NVIDIA DLSS feature test. Find out more about 3DMark updates and upgrades.

3DMark Professional Edition
The DirectX Raytracing feature test is available as a free update for 3DMark Professional Edition customers with a valid annual license. Customers with an older, perpetual license will need to purchase an annual license to unlock the test."

1604403456115.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/274160/ul-benchmarks-updates-3dmark-with-ray-tracing-feature-test

I hope someone posts 1080ti benches with this. I know they will be fairly terrible, but I need a real reason to upgrade!

Plus, this will end some of the Big Navi / 3xxx RTX mud flinging, so that will be cool.

I got 18 fps average on my 2070S, sample count 12, 1440P resolution. :ROFLMAO:

The demo area is not very impressive IMO. It's more of a bokeh feature test than RT test. For example, when you go into interactive mode and walk around, the shadows and reflections don't appear to be ray traced at all. E.g. look at the spikey ornament right at the start of the demo, there are no shadows on the ground, and it's not casting shadows on itself. For reflections, there's a ladder on the left that's standing on a reflective marble tile, but the ladder isn't visible in the reflection... I'd share screenshots if I could figure out how; Steam's F12 function doesn't appear to work and neither does the Nvidia GFE overlay.

Last edited:
Pretty cool, too bad I cannot run it :sour:. It is mostly a raytracing benchmark using minimal rasterization, a lot of compute operations. Using DXR 1.1 which should be able to effectively use both AMD and Nvidia hardware effectively. Now a game workload would be different with rasterization and how well the GPU and memory system can support everything at once. Some notes from 3dMark-technical-guide:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/download-aws.futuremark.com/3dmark-technical-guide.pdf
Technical details
The 3DMark DirectX Raytracing feature test is designed to make ray-tracing performance the limiting factor. Instead of relying on traditional rendering techniques, the whole scene is ray-traced and drawn in one pass. Camera rays are traced across the field of view with small random offsets to simulate a depth of field effect. The frame rate is determined by the time taken to trace and shade a set number of samples for each pixel, combine the results with previous samples and present the output on the screen. The rendering resolution is 2560 × 1440.

DirectX Raytracing Tier 1.1
DirectX Raytracing helps developers create realistic reflections, shadows, and other effects that are difficult to achieve with other techniques. DirectX Raytracing Tier 1.1 introduces new features and capabilities that improve efficiency and give developers more flexibility and control. While the details of these improvements are beyond the scope of this guide, you can read more about DXR Tier 1.1 on the Microsoft DirectX Developer Blog and in the DirectX Raytracing Functional Spec. This test uses features from DirectX Raytracing Tier 1.1 to create a realistic ray-traced depth of field effect.

Rendering
There is a minimal amount of traditional rendering in this test. Instead of drawing a GBuffer or using a rasterizer at all, camera rays are traced in a compute shader with random offsets to simulate a depth of field effect. To keep light computation to a minimum, image-based lighting is used in addition to a baked light map.

Sampling
Camera rays are randomized with per-pixel offsets. There are 12 samples for each pixel when running the test with default settings. When the camera is stationary, samples are accumulated at a rate of 12 samples per pixel per frame. This improves the appearance of the depth of field effect from slightly grainy to smooth over the span of several frames. When the camera moves, a light motion blur is applied to reduce the noise that is a natural result of this ray-tracing technique.

Implementation
The test measures the peak ray-traversal performance of the GPU. All other work, such as illumination and post processing, is kept to a minimum. The ray tracing acceleration structure is built only once. As the scene is static and non-animated, there is no need to update the acceleration structure during the test. The test casts primary rays only. The rays are approximately sorted by direction on the CPU during the test initialization, which is possible because the sampling pattern in screen space is known beforehand. Generating the optimal ray order during initialization allows more coherent ray traversal for out-of-focus areas without the run-time cost of sorting.

Settings

Sample count
The sample count determines how many samples are taken per pixel. Higher sample counts produce better-quality images but are more demanding. The test will run faster with a lower sample count, but the image quality will be grainier. The default value is 12 samples per pixel.

Rendering device

On systems with multiple GPUs, you can choose which GPU you want to use for the test.

Display
On systems with multiple displays, you can choose which display you want to use for the test

I do not think this is a good RT game test since the scene is static as in no animations and the BVH is not updated per frame for changes in geometry. This test would be more applicable to a more professional rendering technique using like V-Ray. Will be interesting to see the results with different hardware implementations, AMD/Nvidia.

Last edited:
I hope someone posts 1080ti benches with this. I know they will be fairly terrible, but I need a real reason to upgrade!

Plus, this will end some of the Big Navi / 3xxx RTX mud flinging, so that will be cool.
Here's my Port Royal results with my 1080ti and my aging rig: haswell 4590 / 8gigs of ram:

Attachments

• 3dmark1.png
    3dmark1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oof, I knew that 1080ti's could run some ray tracing at a huge hit, but that's 10% of the 2080's score (heavy on the ~ish). now I really can't wait for the upgrade!

Here's my Port Royal results with my 1080ti and my aging rig: haswell 4690 / 8gigs of ram:
I didn't even know it would let you attempt Port Royale with a 1080Ti.
I'm not much better, with my not-aging rig of 3900X and 48GB of ram:
2100, average fps of 9.72

True, but SPARTAN VI's 2070s only gets 2x the FPS
No no, that was my DXR feature test result, not my "Port Royal" benchmark results. Cannot compare the DXR test to the Port Royal score. Apples and oranges.

My Port Royal score and average FPS is over 3x your score and FPS. (Edit: updated post because RTX voice was left on and hosed my score)

1604444066378.png

What DWolvin was asking was for someone with a GTX 1080 Ti to run the DXR feature test, which is further down in on the benchmark menu:

1604443345630.png

Turned off RTX voice, which helped, but CBF'd to turn off GSYNC again:
1604444637575.png

Last edited:
No no, that was my DXR feature test result, not my "Port Royal" benchmark results. Apples and oranges.

My Port Royal score and average FPS is closer to 3x your score. (Edit: updated post because RTX voice was left on and hosed my score)

[snip]

What DWolvin was asking was for someone with a GTX 1080 Ti to run the DXR feature test, which is further down in on the benchmark menu:

View attachment 295641
Can't with a 1080Ti.
1604444582913.png
1604444651201.png

Apparently you need 2020 May update to run it also. Not today, not ever if it's up to me.

Apparently you need 2020 May update to run it also. Not today, not ever if it's up to me.
That is a good point. My PC is still on 1909 and not the newest Nvidia driver either. But even if it was on the latest of everything, the 1080Ti cannot do DLSS as I understand things. The benchmark detail page says RTX, Quadro RTX and Titan RTX only.

Thanks for the info- I knew some RTX stuff had been enabled by NVIDIA for the 1080ti, but had not been paying much attention to what.

Thanks for the info- I knew some RTX stuff had been enabled by NVIDIA for the 1080ti, but had not been paying much attention to what.
RTX Quake 2 worked great when it came out (albeit slowly) on the 1080ti......yall need to update your win10's....thats the point of win10.....

2080Ti, older Intel CPU i7-6850k

30.73 Fps on the raytracing test 2560x1440
1604467438372.png

100.96 DLSS
1604467733929.png

This result is the LCD's 100Hz max refresh capping the score.

Have 2020 May update, benchmark will still not run, same warning "Your PC is unable to run this test". 1080 Ti's most recent driver, Windows up to date.

Have 2020 May update, benchmark will still not run, same warning "Your PC is unable to run this test". 1080 Ti's most recent driver, Windows up to date.
Same for me. Says that I need ray tracing 1.1 whatever that is.

Back