Ukraine police close down Mining operation that uses 3,800 PS4 consoles

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Cryptofarm-with-GPUS-and-PS4-2.jpg
Cryptofarm-with-GPUS-and-PS4-1.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/ukraini...-mining-farm-with-3800-playstation-4-consoles

No Hope for Humanity....

Their mistake was not cutting the right person a slice. FFS they could have gotten a legal line pulled in and just modified the meter but they didn't even do that, apparently.
^ also no such thing as "Eastern European" when it comes to regulations due to different affiliations.

But I'm sure they were using renewable power sources! That makes it OK, doesn't it?

I can't think of anyone who thinks its ok to hack the power grid to get free electricity. Which is the point of the article, if you had bothered to read it rather than repeat your tired "crypto bad" trope for your perceived environmental impact of ______ (insert negative crypto story of the week). You're like a broken record.

I can't think of anyone who thinks its ok to hack the power grid to get free electricity. Which is the point of the article, if you had bothered to read it rather than repeat your tired "crypto bad" trope for your perceived environmental impact of ______ (insert negative crypto story of the week). You're like a broken record.
Common tactic with underground illegal weed grows. Not surprising this has been ported to a new industry.

I don’t care about the environmental impacts but you should pay for what you use.

But I'm sure they were using renewable power sources! That makes it OK, doesn't it?

What doesn't make it okay is that peopel don't even read articles and you are an example of that. No one is saying stealing energy is okay but hey get it you hate crypto so you have to put it in bad light every chance you get. They were stealing energy which is illegal not that they were shut down for mining in general. Read and pay attention next time, we aren't here cheering people for mining who steal energy get it? so no that's NOT OKAY!! lol

What doesn't make it okay is that peopel don't even read articles and you are an example of that. No one is saying stealing energy is okay but hey get it you hate crypto so you have to put it in bad light every chance you get. They were stealing energy which is illegal not that they were shut down for mining in general. Read and pay attention next time, we aren't here cheering people for mining who steal energy get it? so no that's NOT OKAY!! lol
It's his MO, he can't help himself.

srsly, they could have just sold those on eBay if they wanted to make a quick buck. Prices are crazy even for the old systems.
Perhaps they came off the back of a hijacked truck... harder to get caught if you don't turn them around on mass right away.

I don't know I agree it seems unlikely they where making enough per PS4 to not make it more profitable to sell em. Odd story.

Perhaps they came off the back of a hijacked truck... harder to get caught if you don't turn them around on mass right away.

I don't know I agree it seems unlikely they where making enough per PS4 to not make it more profitable to sell em. Odd story.
What’s the hash rate on a PS4? Genuinely curious but not enough to google it lol

In case it wasn't clear yet, the reason the operation was shutdown was because they were stealing electricity. Probably tapped off the main service or something (IE: an unregistered meter).

bing says equal to a 7970 and that setup was pulling in about $30K/month in march
edit: corrected mis-typed $ amount.
The PS4/Slim has the rough equivalent to a HD 7850, and the PS4 Pro has the rough equivalent to a RX 480 - give or take on each's respective GPU.
I'm impressed they had motivation and innovation to make use of the last-gen consoles for such a purpose, and that isn't a bad rate.

Reminds me of when Chappie used them in a Beowulf cluster in the movie Chappie (2015).
Life imitates art, and something something dark cyberpunk future. :borg:

12tjz7wsjg851.png

Last edited:
I agree that it is important to read an article before commenting on it, but this headline sure leaves something to be desired.

Te important part, and the reason they were shut down (that they were stealing energy from the grid) was left out.

I'd like to know what firmware those PS4's are running because anything higher than 7.55 can't have Linux installed. That's a lot of effort to downgrade that many PS4's.

I once worked at a small office that had a tiny raised floor datacenter with the meter behind the door (out of sight). No computer read meters back then. Company complained to me one day about their electricity bills being over $600 USD/mo. (which is tiny). It was then I realized, nobody's reading the meter. Informed them to not complain too loudly.

Have there been Xbox farms?

I've seen PS2 and PS3 farms, but can't find anything about Xbox consoles being used for that purpose.

Also sucks that the article didn't release any details, I want to know if these people made money.

I've seen PS2 and PS3 farms, but can't find anything about Xbox consoles being used for that purpose.

Also sucks that the article didn't release any details, I want to know if these people made money.
Someone up higher said 30k a month. But I don't really know if that is cleared, or what.

I once worked at a small office that had a tiny raised floor datacenter with the meter behind the door (out of sight). No computer read meters back then. Company complained to me one day about their electricity bills being over $600 USD/mo. (which is tiny). It was then I realized, nobody's reading the meter. Informed them to not complain too loudly.
Heard that's a new common practice that been going on for a while, don't worry, they'll come by sooner or later and charge the difference. They gotta cut down on the number of meat sack they're paying for and replacing meters with smart ones.

I'd like to know what firmware those PS4's are running because anything higher than 7.55 can't have Linux installed. That's a lot of effort to downgrade that many PS4's.
Same, and either that or they found a large stock of older/unpatched units and took full advantage of the situation.
They should have paid the electric bill.

Not that I'm aware of.
The OG Xbox was just a x86 Pentium III with a proprietary platform and DDR1 memory controller in the north bridge, and wouldn't have performed well in CPU tasks compared to contemporary Netburst and Athlon XP systems, and other Pentium III PCs at the time were cost-affordable enough by that point to render the Xbox redundant for such compute tasks.

The 360's tri-core PPC64 Xenon lacked the computational capacity that PS3's PPC64 Cell had, though it would have still been a worthy contender in compute tasks compared to contemporary x86-64 systems of the time; I don't believe it was cracked at that point in the mid-2000s, but please correct me if I am misremembering.
As for the XBone/S/X, I don't believe they were ever cracked, and only the X would have been worth it since the base-unit only had roughly a HD 7790 equivalent GPU.

Back