UK X-Case (XCase) Data Storage Products Thread (some Norco similarities)

They have been bad and were dying on Norcos and had to be replaced often.

When I got my Norco 4020, I had to replace 2 backplanes. On one, LEDs weren't working and on the other one, some SATA ports were dead.

Had no problems with the 424 and had the rack built up for several months now but just remembered this thread so thought i'd post these up so people can see it. Bargain rack for the money, it's exactly the same rack that is sold under a different name for over double the price.

It's very flat pack and the instructions are rather vague in google chinese->english but nothing an average person can't work out. The free standing 22u I also have is brilliant for the money also.

Will get some better pictures once i've finished cabling it all up and getting all my gear into it.

2014-04-10%2000.10.26.jpg

2014-04-10%2000.10.32.jpg

2014-04-10%2000.11.03.jpg

2014-04-10%2000.10.50.jpg

2014-04-10%2000.10.38.jpg

I bought a 22U cabinet from xcase a (long) time ago but the frames are bent so the doors won't close:

Fw0WS5.jpg

I mailed xcase and he replied something like he's not forgotting me and waiting a new container to replace it.

That was two years ago, in 2014.

I bought a 22U cabinet from xcase a (long) time ago but the frames are bent so the doors won't close:

Fw0WS5.jpg

I mailed xcase and he replied something like he's not forgotting me and waiting a new container to replace it.

That was two years ago, in 2014.
It's metal. Give it a loving squeeze/pull/yank in the opposite direction and adjust it.

It's not a thin aluminium foil, you'll need some serious force to adjust it.
And i'm worrying about weakening it (if not damaging it), especially at the welding points if i bend it again in the opposite direction?
Because these bent thing are supporting the whole weight of the cabinet itself and will support all the heavy servers and heavy ups in it so i don't want to mess them.

Based on your photo, it's not looking out of square enough to be a serious weld breaking concern. If it were me, I'd manhandle it into shape. Lay it on it's side, use a doorway or whatever and give a light nudge then re-check. Repeat as necessary.

As it was two years ago obviously you did a CC chargeback at the time? No way you should have just waited for that, especially when it seems to be circa 3-6 months between shipments reading between the lines.

I've had a few things replaced without serious issue but I have had to pester, and a few mediocre experiences/products since so I doubt I'll be buying much more from them tbh. The current versions of chassis' "quality" (using term loosely) isn't as good as they used to be.

....so I doubt I'll be buying much more from them tbh. The current versions of chassis' "quality" (using term loosely) isn't as good as they used to be.
Hopefully you take the time to let them know this constructively?
They are a small business and do not manufacture the products.

I'd raised my issues at the time but was basically told that's how it is, main issue is with the current version of the RM424 (the initial topic of this thread) the first version I have no complaints with.

Unfortunately the second whilst having some improvements (hot swap fans etc) has the large issue of the backplanes flexing so that 8/10 it's not a hot-swap case as you have to unrack the chassis remove the lid and apply pressure to the rear of the backplane to allow the drive to electrically seat correctly. Off the top of my head this appears to happen because the v2 has one less fixing hold the backplane to the rear of the bays. I raise the issue upon first build, nothing was forthcoming and that was basically how it was.

Also the caddies are rusting on the later chassis' I have 424v2/104 along with the front usb ports on the 104 (which are now unusable) where the earlier 424/206 I have don't exhibit this (nor any of the other equipment), both in the same (non condensing) environment.

Like I said, for the money it's hard to grumble at the feature set given and they're cheap considering the usual cost/markup of rackmount equipment but you can't help but see this is for a reason which must be taken on board.

2016-12-05%2009.00.56.jpg

2016-12-05%2009.01.20.jpg

Back