UK Store Charging More Than $18 To Try PSVR

HardOCP News

[H] News
I thought the purposes of having in-store demos like this was to get people to buy the product, not making money off people wanting to try it out. I see other retailers having free demos to as a way of luring customers away from stores like this that charge you to try something out.

Our pay-to-play PlayStation VR experience is a GAME-led initiative. The cost to use the in-store PS4 pod is entirely refundable for customers that go on to buy either the headset or a PS4 console. The payment allows us to ensure that we have dedicated staff manning the PlayStation VR pods who have been fully trained to adhere to best practice demo guidelines. The demos are intended to give our customers access to one of the most exciting new gaming technologies in 2016 and provide them with the opportunity to get a feel for VR before they commit to buy.

I see this as a real life example of offer and demand: if a store can get away with charging for a 5 minute demo, it is because there are people willing to pay for it. Plus the price allows the potential buyers to experience the VR gear without the long wayting lines of free demo stores. Since VR can cause vertigo and headaches, most sensible buyers will use-test first and make purchase decisions later.

There's a sucker born every minute. You can shit in a box and put a $100 price tag on it and people will think it's worth it because that's what the price tag says.

At the second ever Penny Arcade Expo, Bungie/MS charged people to try out Halo 2 multiplayer. I think it was $10. I was there, but did not play. I thought it was ridiculous.

So if I call a repair person (ie - plumber, appliance repair, etc) to my house, they charge just to show up. Then if I buy their services that amount rolls into the final fee. So from that point of view, I get it.

But it's kind of hard to apply that reasoning with electronic "toys".

On a slightly different topic, who is wiping off the VR gear after each use? Because I find the thought of getting a sweaty headset disgusting.

Well it notes it in the text. A helper there the whole time.

I could imagine the issues of someone with their vision obscured and the liabilities involved. It would make sense why the demo is charged.

Unfortunately as a US citizen in our litigation happy society I tend to quickly think of that stuff.

I could imagine how someone could hurt themselves with the unit on. In America it wouldnt be long where someone claims it had to do with no helper being there. And even if the store was found not at fault they would still pay the legal fee.

Last edited:
The only reason this is justifiable is that it appears they will credit your demo fee towards your purchase if you decide to go ahead and buy. So if you like it, it ends up costing you nothing. If you didn't, you're out a few bucks, but better than the unit. In reality, this works out fine for serious buyers. For the people who aren't potential buyers that just want to see what VR is all about, it either keeps them away, or forces them into being a patron. The reality is, this probably has little to do with trying to make extra money. It's about avoiding large amounts of people inside your store wasting resources when they don't intend to become a paying customer.

There are some VR arcades where I live (Salt Lake City area). I dunno the cost, but it is something that a lot of people want to try.

reminds me the cost of VR machines a couple decades ago, now it's affordable but douche bags still charge an arm and a leg.

I like how VR has made the idiotic things we used to do playing Super Mario Bros a cool way to advertise video games. My brothers and I used to make fun of each other for jerking the controller all over the place trying to jump lava pits.

It sucks, but if they didn't do this there would be a line up stretching out into the street and legitimately interested buyers wouldn't be able to purchase the product. What they should do is waive the fee if you end up buying the PSVR.

The only reason this is justifiable is that it appears they will credit your demo fee towards your purchase if you decide to go ahead and buy. So if you like it, it ends up costing you nothing. If you didn't, you're out a few bucks, but better than the unit. In reality, this works out fine for serious buyers. For the people who aren't potential buyers that just want to see what VR is all about, it either keeps them away, or forces them into being a patron. The reality is, this probably has little to do with trying to make extra money. It's about avoiding large amounts of people inside your store wasting resources when they don't intend to become a paying customer.
This is absolutely the reason. There is a very good reason to incentivize people to try before they buy. If this wasn't available, a non trivial amount of people may very well buy it, experience nausea or vertigo, and want to return it. Now you have a customer who wants to return a very expensive item, but also an item with possibly porous padding that was strapped to their face/head. How/can you resell that item, better to weed out people who would end up returning it.

I don't see a huge issue with a SMALL fee to try (cover the cost of the person helping you put it on, demoing it, wiping/cleaning the lenses and face pad, etc.), but up near $20 seems too steep to me. Should be more like $10 or so at the most.

Back