UK PS3 Launch is a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate both Microsoft and SONY the consumer is now a pawn in both their attempts to be top of the sales charts.... lets be honest Price fixing is done by both companys. (just like Nintendo in the 90's) and its all about profit and squeezing cash out of everyone for everything. Sega was the only company that really pushed the games industry with games such as Shenmue etc but guess what.... they have also had to give in and now seem to just make re hashed games, arcade fighters and lame re issues on multi format.

I should have stopped reading at "companys", but did not. I did however manage to quit at Shenmue mentioned as some wonder-title. Laughable.

Australia is terrible for games, the prices are about the same as the UK but people don't earn anywhere near as much.

They get nice weather and hot chicks though so my sorrow is limited.

Seems to be doing pretty well on Amazon at the moment. Is consistently near the top of the games section top sellers list.

Sold out... or just didn't have any? I know a lot of Asda / Tesco stores don't sell the newest consoles until a while after release. Of course, it could be that Doncaster is the hotbed of PS3 buying in the UK! :D
They were sold out, admittedly they didnt tell me how many they had, but my money burnt a huge hole in my pocket when i saw all ps3 games for £35 and bluray movies for £15, Infact i thought i was dreaming for a moment at store prices!

I should have stopped reading at "companys", but did not. I did however manage to quit at Shenmue mentioned as some wonder-title. Laughable.

oh fuck it.... cant be arsed any more. Forums are just full of snobby, fan-boi, know all, brain washed morons who can think they can say what ever they want any get away with it. Big men on the forums little men in the world. Well you can stick it because I have had enough of it.

don't know whats wrong with people these days..... its always got to end up personal. hey but if you don't like Shenmue and because I typed companys instead of companies my point must be null and void or in this case "Laughable". Thanks for that.

Cheap when put next to the PS3, also supports 1080I (all 1080P TVs scale 1080i to 1080P)

Whaa? 1080i to 1080p upscaling? If that's possible, I no longer have any understanding of how high def video resolutions work.

They get nice weather and hot chicks though so my sorrow is limited.
Agreed.
icon14.gif

its odd the way people can only pick holes in what other people say. But hey its all up to you.

What i mean is 1080p TVs have the ability to internally de-interlace 1080i video to full 1080p resolution.....

fixed it... but can an admin please delete the post I just can't be bothered with people simply looking for things to pick at.

its odd the way people can only pick holes in what other people say. But hey its all up to you.

What i mean is 1080p TVs have the ability to internally de-interlace 1080i video to full 1080p resolution.....

fixed it... but can an admin please delete the post I just can't be bothered with people simply looking for things to pick at.
If you're referring to me picking things apart, you're a little paranoid. I just didn't know 1080p deinterlaced 1080i signals on the fly... I thought it just displayed an interlaced image. Live and learn...

I'll delete your original post, as you've requested it.

If you're referring to me picking things apart, you're a little paranoid. I just didn't know 1080p deinterlaced 1080i signals on the fly... I thought it just displayed an interlaced image. Live and learn...

I'll delete your original post, as you've requested it.

not just you.. the first post was none constructive I feel a flame war in the making here.

oh fuck it.... cant be arsed any more. Forums are just full of snobby, fan-boi, know all, brain washed morons who can think they can say what ever they want any get away with it. Big men on the forums little men in the world. Well you can stick it because I have had enough of it.

You certainly said what you wanted when you were preaching Sega and Shenmue. It seems you have a problem with anyone having a differing opinion. For the sake of it, lets look at Shenmue: Some story, nothing wonderful...some dumbed down fighting scenes, and they pair these wonders of gameplay up with "events" which are basically throwbacks to dragons lair aka 'press the direction or button at the right time'.

Yeah, and those events were obviously unpopular failures, otherwise other developers would have used them in big name games, such as Resident Evil 4, for example... Wait a minute...

I was gonna buy a ps3, but since they removed the chip for ps2 games, then sony can suck my balls, I have loads and loads of ps and ps2 games and I "would of" used the ps3 to play the ps2 games but since they robbed us of the chip and still kept the price high sony can go fuk themselves.

I loved all my playstations and I was always a sony fan but i bought a 360 about a year ago and now that I have that and since their is no real support for ps2 games except software support and bad software support at that then this is the end of my relationship with son'gay.

Some ppl may find that weird, but when I got my ps2 I still had and played all of my ps1 games on the ps2 but sony denying us of the same with the ps3 is just fuked up, it wouldnt of been so bad if it was the same as every other ps3 console worldwide, but to only do it on european consoles is shite, it just shows where sony's loyalties lie, europe was the main consumer or one of the main consumers of the playstations 1 and 2, more than american's ever bought and yet usa gets the ps3 released their first and with the chip, I think sony has taken for granted that they can do this to the europeans and still have the same number of sales comparable with the ps2 in the next 5ish years, I hope europeans take a stand and vote with their wallets and dont buy the ps3 until we get the exact same as the rest of world, considering we are paying more for our ps3's than what the rest of the world is, we pay more for less, thats just fucking leet.

360 + ps2 = win win situation.

Record-breaking 165,000 PS3s sold at UK launch

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26261/Record-breaking-165000-PS3s-sold-at-UK-launch

18:45, Mar 26th 2007 by Neil Long
New format becomes fastest-selling home console ever over its debut weekend.

The figure is three quarters of the total 220,000 UK launch stock for day one, and makes PS3 second only to PSP in the overall launch weekend sales stakes. The Sony handheld shifted 185,000 during its opening weekend back in September 2005.

PS3’s record-breaking debut for a home console comfortably beats the previous top seller Nintendo Wii, which sold 105,000 after its frantic launch weekend in December last year. Fellow format rival Xbox 360 racked up an estimated 70,000 at launch in December 2005.

The figure also means that Sony has not sold all of its opening weekend stock, something the platform holder claims is part of its overall strategy at retail.

- Read this Friday's MCV for a full, authoritative analysis of the PS3 launch

edit: fixed link

(3charlimit)

Sony has said they have NO problem shipping units now. So is it possible they just have met demand then some?

/me awaits retorts on these numbers. :rolleyes:

I think this deserves its own thread.

Sony has said they have NO problem shipping units now. So is it possible they just have met demand then some?

/me awaits retorts on these numbers. :rolleyes:

Thats pretty much what happened. They met demand and some. But obviously in this case, thats not such a bad thing to have a proper supply during a launch when you sell pretty well. People will spin this into a bad thing, but theres not much you can do about those who will.

mvcuk is pretty respected so these numbers should be accurate, though when we get (re)confirmed numbers we will know for sure. So much for a disaster as the thread title states, eh? :eek:

If anybody was wondering, heres the games UK'ers were buying the most...
1223ps3chart.png

no sales numbers though. Resistance, F1 and motorstorm are kinda expected. Funny to genji in the top 10 dispite reviews (great graphics, poor gameplay).

edit:
heres overall games
9685software.png

I'm gonna take a page from the Xbots Manual right now...

:D

It's too bad they haven't banned you yet.

Xbots? Join us when you graduate the 6th grade. You can lecture on objectivity when you take Sony's leash off your neck.

It's too bad they haven't banned you yet.

Xbots? Join us when you graduate the 6th grade. You can lecture on objectivity when you take Sony's leash off your neck.
This is easily THE most amusing post I've ever read on [H].

Seriously, what would I be banned for? I didn't know it was a bannable offense to be on Sony's side, as opposed to the majority and be pro-Microsoft or Nintendo.

Seems to me you're gaining way too much of an emotional attachment to your Microsoft overlords (since you took such offense to the Xbots comment).
My suggestion?
Take a look at your profile and take that two-week vacation from your thread crapping and arguing. :)
I think you need it.

You certainly said what you wanted when you were preaching Sega and Shenmue. It seems you have a problem with anyone having a differing opinion. For the sake of it, lets look at Shenmue: Some story, nothing wonderful...some dumbed down fighting scenes, and they pair these wonders of gameplay up with "events" which are basically throwbacks to dragons lair aka 'press the direction or button at the right time'.

Did you play Shenmue and Shenmue II all the way through then?

Its not that I resent other people having an opinion, far from it, what I do resent is people putting a none constructive argument forward that has no
desernable value other than to insult the poster.That is what you did.

show me the value in that post?

Also where did I preach Sega? I said that they where once a company that would take risks, push boundary's and now they are not. Did I say something wrong? With the style of both your posts towards me I must assume that I offended you in some way, If I did I did not intend to do so.

As for all this "xbot" crap, there may be a bit to much brand loyalty and to be honest if you are loyal to one brand you have be sucked in by the big PR and advertising blitz, therefore your judgment is clouded. We all have 1 thing in common here, we are all consumers and so we should want the best for our money. Brand loyalty is stupid and so is arguing between ourselves about it.

ps

Told you this would turn into a flame war.... People have no respect.

Thats pretty much what happened. They met demand and some. But obviously in this case, thats not such a bad thing to have a proper supply during a launch when you sell pretty well. People will spin this into a bad thing, but theres not much you can do about those who will.

mvcuk is pretty respected so these numbers should be accurate, though when we get (re)confirmed numbers we will know for sure. So much for a disaster as the thread title states, eh? :eek:
Lol, I think the original poster probably feels like Sony just took a big shit in his mouth after reading that link.
Ah flameboys you gotta love um:D

OK everyone.

Let's all calm down and... have some cookies or something, I don't know... seriously... IBTL guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back