Uhh...Newegg...$599 to $849 for the 1TB Evo? Is this a mistake? Am I on camera?

Vader

Supreme [H]ardness
I went to Newegg to pull the trigger on the remainder of my parts for my Nexenta Storage build and for my Tier 1 I had planned for one of the new 1TB Samsung Evo SSD's, ..all week they are $599, then I go today..and they are $850!!!!...I'm sorry..but between the poor service and lousy experiences lately..i'm done with Newegg.

Not sure what happened..they used to be awesome...

Yeah..still too rich for my blood...i'm gonna pull the trigger on what I had and wait for the EVO to come down back around the $500-600 mark.

Perhaps call Newegg and talk to them about the price? I'm sure they will work with you on it.

For a 1TB SSD I am not surprised they're super expensive, even the Samsung 840 EVO which is a fantastic performance/price ratio. My understanding is that the Samsung 840 EVO is basically just a little below the king-of-the-hill Samsung Pro, but the price is a considerable difference in saving. You can get a 250gb Evo for like 170 or something on Amazon at once point. I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb I've yet to install, but I purposefully kept away from any SSDs over 256 (though now, I'd probably look up to 512) gigabytes, lest the price shoot through the roof as the premium on large-capacity drives kicks in.

Better off just getting a smaller SSD and standard magneto optical hard drive for data. You will never notice the difference and it's way safer than trusting your data to an SSD drive, let alone a TLC based one.

...and yeah I have read the Anandtech review, but I have had enough experience with SSDs to know better than to trust data to them. If the controller ever fails, you have no hope of ever recovering that data.

All..i'm using this for Tier One storage tier for my VMware Lab. I won't be storing any critical data on it..etc..it's just for lab use. The point i'm making here is that the price goes up $250? That's ridiculous.

Bro... just because you missed the sale they were obviously having on them because you didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean newegg is to blame. I hate it when Internet kids go WAA WAA Im done with this company they don't give me exactly what I want when I want it at how much I think I should pay for it.

Dont feel bad, I bought a $1900 ultrabook on newegg that listed it with 512gb SSD (256 + 256), but a day after ordering it I noticed they changed the specs to 256gb SSD (128+128). I was not happy, and newegg customer service simply said "We dont guarantee specifications" W T F?

Who needs 1TB of SSD space?

256GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HD is the way to go. Cheaper too.

Bro... just because you missed the sale they were obviously having on them because you didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean newegg is to blame. I hate it when Internet kids go WAA WAA Im done with this company they don't give me exactly what I want when I want it at how much I think I should pay for it.]

First, i'm not your "Bro." Second, don't act foolish because you're a Newegg fanboy. The facts are the facts and I haven't been a "kid" in a long time but you just showed how childish your thought process is.

I have every right to complain when a vendor increases the price $250 in a matter of a day..nice job....keep fighting the good fight.

If you read my post you would see there were OTHER reasons as well why I won't do business with them as well.

Who needs 1TB of SSD space?

256GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HD is the way to go. Cheaper too.

Another useless comment..what's it matter what my "need" is?

First, i'm not your "Bro." Second, don't act foolish because you're a Newegg fanboy. The facts are the facts and I haven't been a "kid" in a long time but you just showed how childish your thought process is.

I have every right to complain when a vendor increases the price $250 in a matter of a day..nice job....keep fighting the good fight.

If you read my post you would see there were OTHER reasons as well why I won't do business with them as well.

My favorite part is how he called you an internet kid yet you've been on this forum for 10+ years.

the reason the price went up on your drive was because of Newegg's inventory monitoring software. I've seen it happen before on other items. The more webhits a product gets, after a certain period of time the software will automatically raise the price of it. It's happened with me while reading the reviews, looking at the product page of something (I read reviews and look at shit for multiple days, so will visit it a bunch), then when I'm finally ready to pull the trigger, the price has gone up.

As for your lab environment, you could always set it up how we have ours. Use a typical 7200 rpm drive for your OS and programs, then have a 256/512gb ssd as your secondary drive that you install and save all your virtuals to. Works just as well as your idea, but you don't need as much space.

Good luck regardless...

First off, lose the attitude.

Second, relax...life goes on.

Third, as far as my comment is concerned, I was just putting in my two cents no need to get your panties in a bunch.

That is all.

Bro... just because you missed the sale they were obviously having on them because you didn't pull the trigger doesn't mean newegg is to blame. I hate it when Internet kids go WAA WAA Im done with this company they don't give me exactly what I want when I want it at how much I think I should pay for it.

I hate it when people talk about internet "kids" and use the word "bro" in the same post.

Prices go up sometimes. and sometimes very quickly. Just look at gas prices, I commonly see 10% change in a day. And I remember seeing it spike up 100+% in a day once or twice.

I like how you were going to pull the trigger on the drive for $600, but 650 is too rich for your blood. Why don't you see if Milk or someone else is selling any amazon credit on the FS/FT thread and it'll be about the price you were going to buy it at.

That being said, Newegg has been pissing me off on several levels too, and I agree that is too rich for my blood as well. ;)
Good luck with your build.

Back