Uh oh... is my hard drive going bye bye soon?

GRAFiZ

2[H]4U
Ok, I am currently using a 46 gig IBM Deskstar 7200 rpm drive. I have used it without problem day in and day out for 3 years.

I have used nothing but 7200 rpm IBM drives for 6 years and have found as long as I have a small fan cooling them I have experienced none of their reputation for being "Deathstars".

However, my 46 gig drive just started giving me problems a few days ago.

Everytime I boot my machine, the hard drive goes "Grrr...grrrrr...grrrr" lol, dont know how else to describe it.

It's not a grinding sound like a scratching head, it's actually quite a bit like a transmission in a car struggling up a hill or something.

It lasts about 20 seconds, however, once it spins up fully the noise goes away and it works perfectly the whole time through. If I shut down the system, back come the noise on boot up. If I reboot, no sounds.

I have checked the drive with IBM's "SMART" software and it always tells me the drive is healthy.

By the way, it's not a power problem. I have a 520watt Vantec Stealth PSU, and I only have this one hard drive currently. Also, this hard drive has it's own Molex tail, there's nothing else on this line.

Any ideas???

I know when my HDDs are gonna die...

When i hear hard ass scratching sounds... then its a goner...

The two most common causes of that skritch skritch skritch sound are bad power and corrupted sectors. Only a full run of the DFT will find corrupted sectors, and a fix usually requires a full wipe. SMART is basically useless.

Best thing to do is buy a new 40Gb while you can, and not lose any important data, if you dont have any, then I wouldnt worry too much about it, but dont fret if one day it starts up and cant detect Primary Master, its happened to me many times before.

Back