Ugh...the 4s is fragile

Climber

Supreme [H]ardness
Literally just dropped the 4s from about a foot off a tile floor and the whole screen spider webbed :(

Hope the Galaxy Nexus is a little more durable. But not I've got to wait 3 weeks with a cracked ass phone ><

same thing was said about the 4

I skipped the 4 but my 3GS was a tank. I've dropped it running and it slid across the pavement a couple times without so much as a scratch. Was really surprised at how much damage was done by literally a 1 foot drop. Crazy...

Apple still believes form > function. If you have an iPhone, you pretty much have to put a nice thick Otterbox case on it if you want it to survive anything.

Doesn't Apple usually replace them for you though for free if you take it to their store? Or is that only if you pay for some sort of extra care warranty?

That sucks man. If you're prone to phone drops, maybe you should consider an Otterbox case or the Droid Razr, which would appear to be bordering on invincible. :p

Apple still believes form > function. If you have an iPhone, you pretty much have to put a nice thick Otterbox case on it if you want it to survive anything.

Doesn't Apple usually replace them for you though for free if you take it to their store? Or is that only if you pay for some sort of extra care warranty?

When I dropped my 3G years ago and it instantly shattered I had to pay $200 for a new screen at the Apply store.

My neighbor works at the apple store and has already agreed to replace my phone for me for free so lucky me I don't have to pay the fee to fix the screen. Might just sell it and switch to the galaxy nexus when it hits the street, no pun intended, as ICS just looks amazing. Just got to see how the hardware measures up.

I have dropped my 4 on to my wood floor seriously a dozen times, all from atleast 3 foot height. The thing doesnt even have a scratch on it.

Literally just dropped the 4s from about a foot off a tile floor and the whole screen spider webbed :(

Hope the Galaxy Nexus is a little more durable. But not I've got to wait 3 weeks with a cracked ass phone ><

Same exterior as the old 4, still just as fragile as well, if you haven't seen the drop test for the iphone 4s v Galaxy S2, I recommend you do, the only thing the 4s will survive is falling on it's side, S2 is unstoppable.

So much for Apple's quality everyone raves about.

The 3GS was and is a great phone. Couldn't have had a better phone for the last couple of years unless it was on Verizon. At&t's network sucks up here in northern Colorado.

Same exterior as the old 4, still just as fragile as well, if you haven't seen the drop test for the iphone 4s v Galaxy S2, I recommend you do, the only thing the 4s will survive is falling on it's side, S2 is unstoppable.

In case anyone wanted to see the video, here it is.

IMO, I think it was a little silly of Apple to stick with the glass front and back. They've always been stubborn about admitting that they're wrong about something though. :p

Plastic > Glass. But of course it doesn't look so cool and its hard to rave about it in marketing ads. Don't believe Apple's lies about build quality - they used the same lies about the Mac 'unibody' construction which doesn't improve structural rigidity at all.

People will always desire something that looks good - and Apple are masters at exploiting that.

The 3GS was and is a great phone. Couldn't have had a better phone for the last couple of years unless it was on Verizon. At&t's network sucks up here in northern Colorado.
We're not talking about the 3G now are we?

We're not talking about the 3G now are we?

Well you made that remark about apple, and he countered by saying they had a good track record before. I mean its his thread and iphone 4 that broke i think he already knows how glass fairs. Eh having the glass does make it more scratch resistant i suppose, though i wouldn't trade being able to take hard impact for it.

In case anyone wanted to see the video, here it is.

IMO, I think it was a little silly of Apple to stick with the glass front and back. They've always been stubborn about admitting that they're wrong about something though. :p

While it was much more sturdy, I still cried seeing someone drop a Galaxy Nexus. So many needy geeks out there in the world without a Galaxy Nexus right now, they shouldn't be wasted. :(

Oh, weird. For some reason when I first watched it, I thought it said Galaxy Nexus. Okay, SGS2, not so bad then. Hopefully it was a T-Mobile version, haha. :)

Dude the front and back are made from glass, of course it will shatter...

$15 case goes a long way

I thought the glass was Gorilla, it should shatter under those conditions should it?
Gorilla Glass isn't magical. It's still glass. Chemically-strengthened glass that is far more shatter and scratch resistant than normal soda lime plate glass, but glass none the less.

I don't think Apple uses Corning's brand-name Gorilla Glass, but I'm sure it's some kind of "fortified" chemically-strengthened glass. But again, it's still plate glass. Which shatters.

Waiting for the Google Nexus-6G with a full graphene body. :eek:

Gorilla Glass isn't magical. It's still glass. Chemically-strengthened glass that is far more shatter and scratch resistant than normal soda lime plate glass, but glass none the less.

I understand that but I've certainly heard of Gorilla Glass withstanding far more than 1 foot drop and have dropped my HP Slate which uses a chemically strengthened glass as well on a vinyl covered concrete floor face down from 3ft with nary scratch. Of course no two drops are the same, but I wouldn't have thought that a 1 foot drop on most surfaces would phase Gorilla/chemically strengthened glass.

I dropped my thunderbolt yesterday from 3 ft high onto a hard tile floor and the screen is fine, it hit hard enough to jar the battery door loose. That's with a gel case on it LOL

Very sorry to hear this, my friend smacked my 4 off a table from like 3ft last night fell flat on its back and thank godddd no crack or anything, I was truly shocked. I don't like cases but...its definitely something one should consider lol

I normally have a case but I use it as a media player as well when I work out. The case doesn't allow the male end of the headsets to seat firmly so when I'm working out music cuts in and out so I generally remove the case. Just forgot to put it on after my run at lunch. So my fault but still falling from 1' I wouldnt have ever thought that would be enough to cause the kind of damage it did.

Glass is glass. Gorilla, zebra, lion, panda whatever glass

Take even tempered glass, the face is tougher, but hit the edge and it will shatter more easily than regular plate glass.

Putting a screen protector front & back might help a little bit, but it is still glass.

Doesn't apple care come standard with new iphones? I think you should be able to replace it easily at the apple store at no charge.

Well you made that remark about apple, and he countered by saying they had a good track record before. I mean its his thread and iphone 4 that broke i think he already knows how glass fairs. Eh having the glass does make it more scratch resistant i suppose, though i wouldn't trade being able to take hard impact for it.
His track record doesn't have any relevance with his current phone. If Apple used to make tough products it doesn't mean anything when they stop.

Hah! I've dropped my SGS from a pretty good height a few times (once from like 2 feet onto concrete), and it's still looking great!

His track record doesn't have any relevance with his current phone. If Apple used to make tough products it doesn't mean anything when they stop.

He responded to your snide remark about "apples quality that people rave about" people have been raving about apple because they had a solid track record

Doesn't apple care come standard with new iphones? I think you should be able to replace it easily at the apple store at no charge.

"Apple Care" is the marketing term for Apple's limited warranty which as is standard in the industry does not cover accidental damage.

"Apple Care" is the marketing term for Apple's limited warranty which as is standard in the industry does not cover accidental damage.

It does, sort of.
AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee. Whether you use your iPhone with a Mac or a PC, just one phone call can help resolve most issues.

Back