Ugh, just had one of 'those'

atarumoroboshi18

Limp Gawd
Had everything: CPU, GPU, SSD, Mobo, Case, and PSU. Plenty of time and all the equipment and parts...take apart the case to begin the build, pull out the mobo and can't place it in the case because my case is for Mini-ITX and my mobo is a Micro-ITX. Yay...3 prior near perfect builds created in one sitting, then...this...dang.

Parts:
Ryzen 1600x w/ Wraith Spire CPU Cooler
AsRock B450-HDV
SilverStone Technology Mini-ITX Slim Small Form Factor Computer Case with Handle (SST-ML08B-H-USA)
SilverStone Technology 450W SFX Form Factor 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (ST45SF-V3-USA)
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
64GB Corsair SSD

Tempted to look for a new Mobo. Any good Mini-ITXs you guys would recommend?

Biostar x370gtn

It's been a great board for me.

I wouldn't recommend any X370 motherboard at this point. X470 and B450 boards are more plentiful and probably just as cheap. The X370 chipset has numerous issues with memory compatibility that were improved upon drastically in the subsequent generation.

Hm. Do you guys think I should just go for a Micro ATX case to fit it in or just grab a Mini ITX mobo? Which would be the better option? Looking around and those Mini-ITX mobos are pricey...

^^^that too
Hm. Do you guys think I should just go for a Micro ATX case to fit it in or just grab a Mini ITX mobo? Which would be the better option? Looking around and those Mini-ITX mobos are pricey...
bigger case will usually run cooler and easier to work in but will be a bigger footprint and the opposite for itx. your call.

I'm picking up a 3rd itx case today (I run 6 desktops at the house)... That said, do you need itx for any reason/space concerns? If not, just grab s mid tower or something and be done with it. More space, easier build, easier to upgrade and cool.

I feel your pain, I bought two 3700x, one for me and one my son, and got him a b550 and myself have a b450 (fatal1ty ITX). My MB had issues and I had to RMA while he's happily gaming along, lol. Supposed to be back Monday, been almost a month.

Ah, I'm not looking for super power or anything, I have 3 PCs right now(8700k/1080, 8700k/1080ti, Ryzen 1800x/1600 Geforce 6GB). I want to make this a small/thin system for strictly Linux work(programming, testing, etc.) and maybe video watching. Already got 3 well oiled machines for powerhouse work, just looking for a smaller weaker workstation.

Ah, I'm not looking for super power or anything, I have 3 PCs right now(8700k/1080, 8700k/1080ti, Ryzen 1800x/1600 Geforce 6GB). I want to make this a small/thin system for strictly Linux work(programming, testing, etc.) and maybe video watching. Already got 3 well oiled machines for powerhouse work, just looking for a smaller weaker workstation.

Well then, don't compromise on case size.

If you like your new ITX case, then find a new ITX motherboard. You just pay a $20-30 premium for one on AMD (because you need a certain number of motherboards sold before you get the competitive landscape Intel ITX has, and AMD still isn't there with Zen 2).

This one is not too expensive, and includes wireless:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550m-itx-ac/p/N82E16813157954?&quicklink=true

Biostar x370gtn

It's been a great board for me.

I'm not doubting that. However, motherboard designs in subsequent X470 and B450 chipsets are better. Just as X570 and B550 motherboards are better than X470 and B450 boards. VRM's, memory trace layout, and importantly, firmware are vastly improved on the newer motherboards. Chipset silicon is different as well. You can support higher power CPU's and reach higher memory clocks on newer motherboards. Also, X370 memory compatibility is legendarily bad. I can attest to this because I reviewed many X370 motherboards for HardOCP and memory compatibility was painful to deal with at times. X470 motherboards were vastly improved out of the gate. X570 is slightly better, but the advantage there is higher clocks can be achieved for memory speeds.

Well then, don't compromise on case size.

If you like your new ITX case, then find a new ITX motherboard. You just pay a $20-30 premium for one on AMD (because you need a certain number of motherboards sold before you get the competitive landscape Intel ITX has, and AMD still isn't there with Zen 2).

This one is not too expensive, and includes wireless:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b550m-itx-ac/p/N82E16813157954?&quicklink=true

Hm...you may be right. I shouldn't compromise on the case. I'll look for a Mini-ITX mobo instead. I'll take everyone's suggestions and see which ones fit my needs.

Hm...you may be right. I shouldn't compromise on the case. I'll look for a Mini-ITX mobo instead. I'll take everyone's suggestions and see which ones fit my needs.
If you want the itx stick with it. Like I said, just bought my 3rd itx case yesterday. I'm currently running 2 ITX and 4 mid-full towers. Soon to be 3 and 3 as I want to put one in my entertainment center to use for some gaming and VR purposes and the full size case isn't going to do it for me. That said, my son's PC is full size ATX and will probably stay that way as it makes more sense. Figure out what you want and go for it, it's really your decision and for your use cases. I have 1 Intel (B250) and 1 AMD (B450) ITX. I just picked up a b550 for my son, seems a bit better quality wise but they are different brands and slightly different prices levels so hard to directly compare. If you can get the b550 for similar price I would go that route (I almost bit the bullet and bought a new one for my PC but since my MB was still under warranty figured I'd just RMA, that and there was 0 stock when I went to purchase one, lol).

That looks like a good choice.

I can't see the benefit of the X470 or X570 chipsets on ITX since there's no physical room to take advantage of the extra PCI-E lanes. B450 or B550 seems like the way to go.

Just as X570 and B550 motherboards are better than X470 and B450 boards.

Will the B550 mobo he's looking at support his 1st gen Ryzen though?

I thought AMD said the newer mobos will lose support for the older CPUs?

Or is his 1600X one of those newer CPUs with the old model name?

Ah dangit. Cancelled the order. Alright chaps, any mobos you would recommend for the Ryzen 1600x?
I'm running an asrock Fatal1ty b450 itx/ac and it works alright. I had a 1600 in it for a while, just bought a 3700x to drop in. Only AMD it's board I have to speak of, no clue how it compares, I do know the VRMs are ok, but not awesome. They were fine for my 1600 though, but I'd be scared to drop a 3950x in it without lots of air flow.

Ah dangit. Cancelled the order. Alright chaps, any mobos you would recommend for the Ryzen 1600x?

Since this is for a secondary system, you may want to try Ebay.
That will likely give you a larger selection of mobos.

Probably best to go with B450 in whatever size mobo you are looking for.

Since this is for a secondary system, you may want to try Ebay.
That will likely give you a larger selection of mobos.

Probably best to go with B450 in whatever size mobo you are looking for.

Oh, I haven't been on Ebay in over a decade. Maybe someone in the FS/FT will have a Mini-ITX for sale.

If you can't find one in FS/FT, Ebay does have a bunch of them.

First hit on Ebay search is a GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI Mini ITX AMD.
Brand New $119 at Newegg.

I wouldn't recommend any X370 motherboard at this point. X470 and B450 boards are more plentiful and probably just as cheap. The X370 chipset has numerous issues with memory compatibility that were improved upon drastically in the subsequent generation.
Dan , I have a MSI B350m Gaming Pro that I flashed so many times and I noticed If the chip is newest 12nm (AF) or 7nm then running these Oloy https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821222?&quicklink=true is no issue as it has the 1600 AF in Profile 1 @ 3333Mhz as it was $85 then for cpu lol ..
I have owned that board since Ryzen 1000 series and kind understood cpu + bios is the magic and the board is just a socket really and newer cpu's is the improvement needed .

>> cpu + bios is the magic and the board is just a socket really

Nope. The mobo chipset, BIOS, and CPU all have to play together nicely.
There is way more to a mobo than just being a socket.

Dan , I have a MSI B350m Gaming Pro that I flashed so many times and I noticed If the chip is newest 12nm (AF) or 7nm then running these Oloy https://www.newegg.com/oloy-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820821222?&quicklink=true is no issue as it has the 1600 AF in Profile 1 @ 3333Mhz as it was $85 then for cpu lol ..
I have owned that board since Ryzen 1000 series and kind understood cpu + bios is the magic and the board is just a socket really and newer cpu's is the improvement needed .

I never said you couldn't crack DDR4 3000MHz on a first generation AM4 motherboard. I simply said, there are many improvements in X470, B450, X570, and B550 that I wouldn't recommend an older X370 motherboard. If you get the right RAM, they work fine, but they are far more fickle about RAM. That's the problem. A combination of the motherboards and the memory controller on earlier Ryzen CPU's lead to a lot of headaches you don't have to deal with on later generations. Each is iterative with the Ryzen 2000 series being better than the Ryzen 1000 series and 3000 series being better than the 2000 series. It's the same with the chipsets.

The BIOS has a lot to do with it, as does the AGESA code, and while much better than it was, its still not as good as the newer stuff. Again, nothing wrong with a B350 or X370 board if you have one, but in 2020, I'm not recommending anyone buy one over comparable X470 and B450 models. Obviously, there are price differences between those and the newer 500 series chipsets or I'd recommend skipping the X470 and B450 as well.

Back