ugh, gf's hard drive, xp wont boot

p0lish

Gawd
So my gf gave me her laptop after it wouldn't boot cause it was missing a sys file. I have a usb hard drive hookup, so i threw it on , grabbed all of the documents and anything she would need in case of a reinstall. Replaced the sys file, throw the hd back in, and same error message. Fine, i'll reinstall. Go to boot winxp from 2 different discs, and it wouldn't load the files. It would stop on a certain file saying, could not read, press F3 to quit. Fine, FU windows, i used a drive image utility to copy my fresh install of xp onto the laptop HD. Still a no go. The laptop claims it cant read 2 other .sys files. The laptop is a Toshiba, with an 80gb hd. I'm thinking the HD might have just up and died, but im not sure. I know i hate making threads like this, as much as you guys hate reading them, but im fresh outta ideas. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Run some diagnostics on your HDD, there' sprobably some bad sectors. Also, run memtest and see if the RAM isn't going bad. could be alot of things, but it sounds to me like the HDD is taking a crap.

Back