UEFI Firmware Update available for "blank screen on boot" for RTX 4080/4090

DPI

[H]F Junkie
To ensure compatibility with certain UEFI SBIOSes, an update to the NVIDIA GPU firmware may be required. Without the update, graphics cards in certain motherboards that are in UEFI mode could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads. This update should only be applied if blank screens are occurring on boot.

Click here to download the NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool v1.2.

The NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:

• Ensure you are using the latest SBIOS from your motherboard vendor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary card or integrated graphics)

Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions. Ensure all apps are closed before running the tool and make sure no OS updates are pending in the background. This tool can be used with Founders Edition as well as partner cards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5411/?=&linkId=100000163736896

To ensure compatibility with certain UEFI SBIOSes, an update to the NVIDIA GPU firmware may be required. Without the update, graphics cards in certain motherboards that are in UEFI mode could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads. This update should only be applied if blank screens are occurring on boot.

Click here to download the NVIDIA GPU UEFI Firmware Update Tool v1.2.

The NVIDIA GPU Firmware Update Tool will detect whether the firmware update is needed, and if needed, will give the user the option to update it.

If you are currently experiencing a blank screen, please try one of the following workarounds in order to run the tool:

• Ensure you are using the latest SBIOS from your motherboard vendor
  • Change boot mode from UEFI to Legacy/CSM
  • Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary card or integrated graphics)

Once you have the tool downloaded, please run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions. Ensure all apps are closed before running the tool and make sure no OS updates are pending in the background. This tool can be used with Founders Edition as well as partner cards.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5411/?=&linkId=100000163736896
Thanks but how do you run the update tool if your monitors are blank and you cannot see anything? I installed a new 4080 yesterday and my screens are black (no signal) but the card lights up. The 3060 I removed was working fine. I have ASUS 4080 TUFF and ASUS MB TRX40 Pro.
If I were to remove the 4080 and run the tool then it won't detect the 4080 and update it since it won't be present correct?
I bought the card around 14 months ago but never opened it until yesterday. Am I better off getting a new card?

Thanks but how do you run the update tool if your monitors are blank and you cannot see anything? I installed a new 4080 yesterday and my screens are black (no signal) but the card lights up. The 3060 I removed was working fine. I have ASUS 4080 TUFF and ASUS MB TRX40 Pro.
If I were to remove the 4080 and run the tool then it won't detect the 4080 and update it since it won't be present correct?
I bought the card around 14 months ago but never opened it until yesterday. Am I better off getting a new card?
Try enabling "Compatibility Support Module" in the UEFI. (On mine it enabled itself after a few failed boots.) No issues with blank screen on boot, after that.

The text tells you workarounds including:

Boot using an alternate graphics source (secondary card or integrated graphics)

Thanks but my MB ASUS Prime trx40 -pro has no integrated graphics to switch to. My screens are totally black all the time so I cannot see POST, BIOS anything so I cannot select or change anything.
I gave all my RTX 4080 info & serial to ASUS support and they are no help - check cable, unplug, etc. They even told me my router was out of warranty?! Who said anything about a router?! I don't have a router.
I see a black slot underneath the 4080 I am wondering if I could squeeze the 3060 back in so I could maybe see something on a monitor so I could troubleshoot / change settings. If it will fit can I have both cards in at the same time?

Thanks but my MB ASUS Prime trx40 -pro has no integrated graphics to switch to. My screens are totally black all the time so I cannot see POST, BIOS anything so I cannot select or change anything.
I gave all my RTX 4080 info & serial to ASUS support and they are no help - check cable, unplug, etc. They even told me my router was out of warranty?! Who said anything about a router?! I don't have a router.
I see a black slot underneath the 4080 I am wondering if I could squeeze the 3060 back in so I could maybe see something on a monitor so I could troubleshoot / change settings. If it will fit can I have both cards in at the same time?
This thread was relevant to the early days of RTX 4000 when the cards had just launched and some needed a BIOS update for the issue described in OP. If your card has been sitting 14 months, all you can do is try running it and if it doesnt need the update, the update won't proceed.

Unclear why you're having an issue, but TRX motherboards can be a PITA in my experience. Yes you can install multiple GPUs on the motherboard. If you have another PC to try, I'd try the 4080 elsewhere first.

But the absolute first thing is make sure it's seated correctly AND has the power cable(s) installed correctly. Regular motherboards can usually POST when you don't have PCIe power cables connected, to display the message "Plug in your GPU power cables, dummy" yada yada. However with workstation boards and HEDT like Threadripper, the MBs aren't dummy proofed like gaming motherboards. If I forget the PCIe 8pin connectors to my GPU when I'm swapping cards around, and I turn on the ASUS WRX80 motherboard, I get no display and the MB is stuck on probably an error message about the missing power cable, but I can't see it since the display is blank. I know when it's hung up on something by the post code however.

Last edited:
Thanks. I firmly seated the GPU in the MB slot and the power cable. My power supply has the special 40 series connector for the GPU and I securely attached it. The GPU has RGB lights which light up so it is getting power but isn't outputting a monitor signal at all apparently.
As soon as I can I guess I will see if I can install the 3060 beneath it and hopefully then be able to have use of a monitor to run the nvidia tool that detects and flashes the card.
I don't want to, but should I update the bios on my ASUS MB? It's approx 2021.
Unfortunately I cannot install the 4080 in another machine because it's too large.

Thanks. I firmly seated the GPU in the MB slot and the power cable. My power supply has the special 40 series connector for the GPU and I securely attached it. The GPU has RGB lights which light up so it is getting power but isn't outputting a monitor signal at all apparently.
As soon as I can I guess I will see if I can install the 3060 beneath it and hopefully then be able to have use of a monitor to run the nvidia tool that detects and flashes the card.
I don't want to, but should I update the bios on my ASUS MB? It's approx 2021.
Unfortunately I cannot install the 4080 in another machine because it's too large.
I prayed and decided to try to boot it again and one monitor worked! Specs said no integrated graphics I thought?! So I was able to check for the update (already updated it said) and install driver, and install bios update from nvidia. It is working now! I don't understand it. I went from no monitors working to all 4 :)

Back