Ubuquiti UniFi Controller Software

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
Does this software have to be running on a machine constantly when these access points are in use? Also, how many would you recommend installing in a 3000 sq ft home? Right now I have a D-Link DIR-655, and I usually get 4-5 bars on all of the floors in our two story home.

Thanks!

No, it doesn't need to run all the time, just when you want to change something. Number of access points is going to depend on the layout of the house, construction materials, frequency congestion, etc. You may be able to get by with one or you may want 2-3. One of the nice things about UniFi is you can add APs very easily.

I put one in my friends 5000sq/ft house in the attic right in the middle and it covers the entire house.
This is the house,
86TransAm05.JPG

Thanks for the answer! Also, I'm impressed that just one covered that large of a home. Guess I'll try one and if needed, I'll add another!

Thanks

The original router was in the office on the far right at the back of the house and I installed an Apple TV for her in her bedroom on the far left of the house in the back, and there was barely any usable signal.
The ubiquity was recommended here on the forums so I ordered the $80 one and it works great.
I set it up and configured it at my house and made sure it worked then went to her place to install it after they got the 50+ft Ethernet cable ran into the attic.

I'm currently using 2 routers in my home, one upstairs and one downstairs, the downstairs one Verizon one and is set up as a repeater and runs really well,
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/294003219

Last edited:
Some homes uses foil backing on the insulation and thus you'll need an AP per room.

1 AP per room? Foil facing on insulation is only common on rigid foam and I can't imagine why someone would put that in walls between rooms. People put outside of the house though so it would have an effect on the signal outside.

With Unifi, I've never needed more than one for a house, regardless of size.

I'd say start with one, if concerned, get the Long Range (LR) model.

It is soo easy to add a second (or third, or fourth...) one that there is no need to do all that planning up front. Start with one and add to it if you need it.

The software does not NEED to be run on a server. The system will work just fine if you only run the software to setup and make settings changes.

That being said, running the software on a server gives you all the real time statistics, and management capabilities, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

Just wanted to report back... installed the long range version in my basement this morning. It's located in the center of my basement in one of the rafters. I love it! Was really easy to setup, and the increase in throughput and signal strength is awesome. Covers my entire 3,200 sq ft home. 4/5 in the further points of the home, otherwise full signal everywhere. I will have to test outside to see how far the range goes. Got mine on Amazon. I highly recommend it for anyone considering one. I'll be installing one of these when I install a network in my business this summer for sure!

As an FYI, you also need to run the software all the time if you want to use the guest captive portal features, since the APs redirect to the controller to serve this page.

Not a big deal for most smaller installs though, and for larger installs you will want the software installed for management anyhow.

Back