Ubuntu Smart Phone Makers Trying To Crowdfund $32M

Will They Get $32M in 30 Days?

• Yes

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 161 86.6%

• Total voters
Chronologically Windows 8 was trying to pull an Ubuntu.

Ubuntu didn't have a touchscreen device when they made Unity. Microsoft was more prepared with Windows 8 with tablets, phones and (unfortunately to some) desktop.

Even though Ubuntu was there first, in the context he was trying to make, Ubuntu is trying to make a unified OS for all devices, like Microsoft did. In this context, Microsoft was first.

$32 million is just too ambitious, unless a major corporation backs them.

They already have a "corporation" backing them, the checking account of Mark Shuttleworth.

And for getting a limited production run of smartphone devices made, I'm surprised $32mil would cover it.

Ubuntu didn't have a touchscreen device when they made Unity. Microsoft was more prepared with Windows 8 with tablets, phones and (unfortunately to some) desktop.

Even though Ubuntu was there first, in the context he was trying to make, Ubuntu is trying to make a unified OS for all devices, like Microsoft did. In this context, Microsoft was first.

No. Its called 'Unity' for a reason. They just don't have Microsoft's mega budget resources.

How about 32 million to make a windows 7 equivalent in the x86 arena.

For a lot of people, Ubuntu is already there. Remember you don't have to use Unity.

Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Mint

The problem is not the OS itself, but being able to run Windows applications with acceptable performance. That solution is Direct 3D9 for Gallium and it actually works and plays games through a modified WINE with a pretty sizable performance gain. Once I can get my hands on that, I'll be switching over to Linux full time. You don't need Direct 3D 10 or 11 to play games.

BTW, they already have $3.1 million. Not bad for a day.

Android users are hipsters now? You better go in hiding before you get yourself lynched ;-)

I was referring to the consumer level, not business level.

hehe

There are sheep on both sides of fence i've met just as many andriod fan boys and Iphone ones. Its just the Iphone guys are super annoying and most of them technically clueless. On the andriod sides its more techy's but some can be equally annoying obessed with hardware specs and forgetting some people just use to phone to get work done and to make calls not everyone tries to run their life from their phone.

And I wasn't aware until added it in this post it was consumer level only.

So I stand corrected as you know what segment my point was trying to address.

Microsoft doesn't have a unified OS for all devices. They have a unified kernel: the same kernel is running on all platforms. Microsoft wasn't first in doing that either: iOS and OS X run on the same kernel, though different operating systems are currently running different versions of the Darwin kernel.

Microsoft has three different consumer operating systems: Windows, Windows RT, Windows Phone. In a sense, Microsoft is further from unifying their operating systems than they were before (in the Windows 7/Windows Phone 7 era) thanks to the introduction of Windows RT.

For a lot of people, Ubuntu is already there. Remember you don't have to use Unity.

Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Mint

The problem is not the OS itself, but being able to run Windows applications with acceptable performance. That solution is Direct 3D9 for Gallium and it actually works and plays games through a modified WINE with a pretty sizable performance gain. Once I can get my hands on that, I'll be switching over to Linux full time. You don't need Direct 3D 10 or 11 to play games.

I am running (In a spare computer ) kubuntu, while beautiful, working the console is a bear. I mean installing video drivers was a 2-day affair.. I am of course.. 100% ignorant (maybe now 98% ignorant)... but if it was 'normal' I figured I would double click on the file and call it a day... I am windows-spoiled I guess.

Microsoft doesn't have a unified OS for all devices. They have a unified kernel: the same kernel is running on all platforms. Microsoft wasn't first in doing that either: iOS and OS X run on the same kernel, though different operating systems are currently running different versions of the Darwin kernel.

Microsoft has three different consumer operating systems: Windows, Windows RT, Windows Phone. In a sense, Microsoft is further from unifying their operating systems than they were before (in the Windows 7/Windows Phone 7 era) thanks to the introduction of Windows RT.
Oh yeah, windows RT is not really the same windows in the desktop, but the same metro interface, on top of something else entirely. You mean to tell me that with ubuntu unity I can run desktop, phone and tablet, and use all the same software pretty much all the same? no 'special' versions of say libre office unlike windows RT vs windows 8 with MS office?... that sounds very cool if so.

Ubuntu/unity being unified is a myth that's been busted several times. Ubuntu phone is not Ubuntu desktop.

I bet it was brought to you by the out of work programmers from Nokia who were working on a Linux based OS before they dumped it for WP7.

If they offer backwards compatibility with Android, they have a chance. But not if they want everyone to shell out $800. Some people might want to micro invest with a dividend return and not actually buy the phone.

I disagree. The underlying pinnings are the same. The API interface to the core OS are the same. Windows RT just supports a different assembly instruction set, so it has to be recompiled for that instruction set.

What really matters (unless you get bare to the metal hardware programming which is ALWAYS advised against due to product variances) is that your API set is the same.

Ubuntu/unity being unified is a myth that's been busted several times. Ubuntu phone is not Ubuntu desktop.
I'm not disputing that.

What really matters (unless you get bare to the metal hardware programming which is ALWAYS advised against due to product variances) is that your API set is the same.
And they aren't. WinRT is the same regardless of platform (near as I'm aware), but Windows RT doesn't have many of the APIs that Windows does.

You could certainly argue that Microsoft has a unified means for developing certain types of applications, but that doesn't make for a unified operating system. I'd call it a "uniform development target".

I am running (In a spare computer ) kubuntu, while beautiful, working the console is a bear. I mean installing video drivers was a 2-day affair.. I am of course.. 100% ignorant (maybe now 98% ignorant)... but if it was 'normal' I figured I would double click on the file and call it a day... I am windows-spoiled I guess.

Arguably the worst part of dealing with Linux is the command prompt. A lot of things that are simple in Windows are complicated still in Linux. But on the bright side, at least when you learn something new in Linux, you can probably take it with you to many other OS's.

This is probably the best resource to install the latest open source drivers. I'm not big on memorizing commands.

I voted NO.
Because I like Ubuntu about as much as I like Windows 8. :p

Kubuntu
Xubuntu
Mint

Ah... The red headed step children distros.

Linux would be better than Android. Too many hipsters carry around droids while trying to look enlightened when they talk about open platform. They're all over Starbucks with their Google logos and artsy nose blowing rags tied around their heads to only partly cover the big hoop hole earrings they wear to fit in.

Linux would be better than Android. Too many hipsters carry around droids while trying to look enlightened when they talk about open platform. They're all over Starbucks with their Google logos and artsy nose blowing rags tied around their heads to only partly cover the big hoop hole earrings they wear to fit in.

I've been to Starbucks, but haven't seen these people....

Arguably the worst part of dealing with Linux is the command prompt. A lot of things that are simple in Windows are complicated still in Linux. But on the bright side, at least when you learn something new in Linux, you can probably take it with you to many other OS's.

Funny, I find it to be the other way around.

Really? I like linux and have used it a lot over the years but his point holds true and if you actually asked people that tried linux and went back to windows they would tell you the same,

Mundane every day shit that people take for granted in windows can be a royal pain in the ass in linux. Hook up a webcam/printer/whatever, if it works, great. If not prepare for hell. Same thing in windows = download file and double click it.

When everything is supported and drivers work fine linux is awesome. In my experience pretty much anything newer than a pentium 4 machine will require some hoop or another to jump through.

Some examples of my own.

My old netbook had no support for the backlight control, for a long time i had to reboot the machine, set the brightness during the POST then it would stay that way. Later someone eventually made a hacked up driver that fixed issues with that specific netbook. Every new version of the distro and kernel update broke the package and i ended up having to either not update or wait for it to be updated. This lasted until i sold it.

My current laptop has been running different versions of linux and they all had some issues. Most common issue is for whatever reason the power management will not dim the backlight or turn it back up on power. Basic little shit windows has been getting right for decades linux just cant nail down.

Its been like this for years. A bug or an annoyance will exist for a long time, just when you get used to it they fix it and it brings up another small annoyance. It just gets old eventually.

He thinks iPhones are android.

That makes more sense.

Some things are easier to do on Windows, but the Linux OS's are just so much more open... it almost doesn't matter which one you choose, as they all have different Desktop Environments they use, but at the command line, you can get to almost anything.

As someone who played with Linux on and off for years, but didn't start using it seriously up until about a year or so ago, I can say that the command line is scary at first, and you can eff up your system if you're not careful (sudo chmod -r can do bad things), but overall having access to everything and anything on your computer is awesome.

It probably helps that I use it for work, so now that I'm more comfortable with it, I can actually log into a web server and not be completely lost.

Wait... this is the Ubuntu Phone thread.

...Basic little shit windows has been getting right for decades linux just cant nail down...

Do you think a Win8 phone would outperform a phone designed for Linux?

Which do you think will fuck your data up more violently and get the bigger holes punched in it by hackers?

I work and play Windows, but when shit is important? Linux.

He thinks iPhones are android.

Seriously, some Android people are far, far worse. There's like a few kinds of stereotypical Android people and one type, the kind that constantly brags about how open their phone is or how much better some meaningless specification or their app store is are really silly. They're the whole "I'm an individual so I got an Android to be different like everyone else because it lets me express my uniqueness while I'm surfing at Starbucks to impress iPhone owners" types. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows someone like that.

Do you think a Win8 phone would outperform a phone designed for Linux?

Which do you think will fuck your data up more violently and get the bigger holes punched in it by hackers?

I work and play Windows, but when shit is important? Linux.

That had nothing to do with anything i said at all. When what is important? I already know for a fact a win8 phone outperforms one designed for linux, so...

Seriously, some Android people are far, far worse. There's like a few kinds of stereotypical Android people and one type, the kind that constantly brags about how open their phone is or how much better some meaningless specification or their app store is are really silly. They're the whole "I'm an individual so I got an Android to be different like everyone else because it lets me express my uniqueness while I'm surfing at Starbucks to impress iPhone owners" types. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows someone like that.

This could be said about EVERYONE who uses a smartphone (or tablet) to show off their "tech knowledge".
These individuals are known as hipsters, aka techno-posers.

They are not nerds, cyberpunks, nor hackers.
They are poser wannabees who carry a brick of technology with a logo, nothing more.

Reminds me of the early 1990's, Adidas vs Nike.
Same shit, different era.

overview_hero.jpg

This could be said about EVERYONE who uses a smartphone (or tablet) to show off their "tech knowledge".
These individuals are known as hipsters, aka techno-posers.

They are not nerds, cyberpunks, nor hackers.
They are poser wannabees who carry a brick of technology with a logo, nothing more.

Reminds me of the early 1990's, Adidas vs Nike.
Same shit, different era.

overview_hero.jpg

I don't think that's really true. First of all, not many people here were even alive in the 1990's (well, old enough to pay attention to that kinda thing anyhow) and the ones that were don't really have like a very good perspective because they were in their early teens.

I don't think that's really true. First of all, not many people here were even alive in the 1990's (well, old enough to pay attention to that kinda thing anyhow) and the ones that were don't really have like a very good perspective because they were in their early teens.

Well, just because one wasn't alive back then to witness that, or old enough to comprehend it, doesn't mean it isn't true. ;)

Well, just because one wasn't alive back then to witness that, or old enough to comprehend it, doesn't mean it isn't true. ;)

Don't you start with all that tree falling in a forest and no one being around to taste it stuff. It's Wednesday and I've taken an oath not to think about philosophy or anything else on Wednesdays.

Don't you start with all that tree falling in a forest and no one being around to taste it stuff. It's Wednesday and I've taken an oath not to think about philosophy or anything else on Wednesdays.

Well, depending on where in the world you are right now, it's actually Tuesday.
Wednesday is tomorrow. ;)

Philosophy, hoooooo!!!

Back