Ubuntu Proliant 5500

Yoblad

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I'm currently running a proliant 5500 server (quad xeon, 2.6gb of ram, 3 18gb scsi raid 5) and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed ubuntu on this hardware. The smartstart cd only supports Redhat 7.0 or SuSE 7.0 or so it says. Will ubuntu even install?

I basically just want to use vmware server as I am now but windows as my host OS just takes up too much resources. Any help is appreciated.

Google brought up tons of people running Ubuntu and a 5500. One thing though, is that the right distro for what you're trying to do?

Cool, I looked before but didn't really find anything defnitive. Not sure if ubuntu is the best but it's what I'm most familiar with.

What SHOULD I use?

Just thought I'd update this. Ubuntu installed without a single hitch.

I got smartstart 5.50. Booted into it and selected the system configuration utility. I then modified my Operating System setting to the Unix category and selected Linux. I booted into the dapper drake cd and installed. Rebooted, removed CD, and voila!. Now I have to remove all the crap they included with this thing.

**note, this was a full format/install. I'm not brave enough to try dual-booting this thing.

*****note, remember to update to the SMP enabled kernel version after everything is all set. It does not do this by itself.

Grab the ubuntu server install and you won't have to remove all the garbage that came with it.

Yoblad said:
don't I need gnome and X to run vmware?
No. You just need some of the libraries. When you run vmware-config.pl, it will error and tell you which libraries it's looking for. Use apt-search to find the single libraries. The only reason it needs them is for the VMware console. They are not required for the core functions of the server. You can run the VMware console from another machine.

even if you do want x on the box you can install it on its own without everything else that will come on the ubuntu desktop disk like openoffice and firefox.

Back