Ubuntu + Powerbook G4 Ti = Resolution Problem

nismo_r34

Limp Gawd
So I installed Ubuntu on my Powerbook after getting familiar with it in VMware, but unfortunately its stuck in 640x480, which is driving me absolutely insane. Anybody have any ideas?

Here are the relevant (according to other posts, i did a search) sections from my xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Color LCD"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9000 (M6 LY)"
Monitor "Color LCD"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 1
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 4
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 15
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Well with a little more searching I found a clue to what eventually fixed my problem. Here it is for anyone who searches in the future.

The monitor section of my xorg.conf was missing these two lines defining the horizontal sync and vertical refresh rates:

HorizSync 28-64
VertRefresh 43-60

Once that was entered into my xorg.conf, a reboot got me out of 640x480 and into 1024x768. With another edit of the xorg.conf, I added the 1152x768 resolution.

Dude good for you. I'm running mandrake limited edition on my toshiba 8200 and it installed with no problems. Everything runs and even the wireless card that was a total nightmare in windows.

I love the linux community because the answer is not that far away and the plain fact that a person have taken the leap over to open source says alot about that person.

Cheers to you.

Back