ubuntu livecd issues with M2N32-SLI

m1abram

2[H]4U
Actually I have tested this with many LiveCDs and none of them will boot. These are the ones I have tested
ubuntu 6.06 64bit & 32bit
Gentoo 2006.0
Knoppix 5.02 DVD and 3.9 CD.

Same behaviour on all of them, it gets to loading the kernel and just dies.

Here is my hardware specs.
AMD X2 4600+
Asus M2N32-SLI
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C3
BFG 7950GX2
X-Fi Plat.

Now the kicker and I think the thing that points to the root of the problem. When I first put this machine together a few weeks ago the first thing I did was popped in unbuntu 6.06 livecd to test everything out. It ran like a champ with no issues. However this was with the orignal Bios that shipped with the MB. Which was something like version 203. Well the video card I have requires atleast version 405 so I updated the Bios before installing windows to version 603 (current stable version). Everythign works great in windows however not no Linux LiveCD will boot. I can get ubuntu to boot only if I set acpi=off and for some reason this disables ALL usb since my keyboard and mouse are usb you can see this is an issue.

I sent a support request to Asus since I think they have an issue with the BIOS. If anyone here has the same MB as above can you do me a favor and test one of those livecds and see if you can load it. Also tell me which BIOS version you are using.

Thanks.

Hello:

Just upgraded to an M2N32. Ubuntu liveCD worked fine under original BIOS (v. 302 I believe). I updated to 603 and it does the exact same thing you describe under the 32-bit liveCD (haven't tried 64-bit).

I didn't write down the exact error but it yells about some kernel timing issue I believe. . . I could get the exact error I guess.

Any news from Asus?

trust_no1 said:
Hello:

Just upgraded to an M2N32. Ubuntu liveCD worked fine under original BIOS (v. 302 I believe). I updated to 603 and it does the exact same thing you describe under the 32-bit liveCD (haven't tried 64-bit).

I didn't write down the exact error but it yells about some kernel timing issue I believe. . . I could get the exact error I guess.

Any news from Asus?

No, I am going to try an give them a call tommorow. Nice to know someone else has a similiar issue and it is not just my setup.

Cool, let us know how this panes out, I really wanted to dual-boot with Ubuntu, start dabbling a bit in Linux.

You may also want to check out the Ubuntu Forums to see if there's any workaround for your problem. I'm pretty sure theres more people out

FYI:

Check the Asus download site, there's a new BIOS revision out (706). It says it should fix the issue with Linux. I'm downloading it at the moment so we'll see how that goes.

Update: Changed my BIOS and booted fine in Ubuntu with live CD. :)

trust_no1 said:
FYI:

Check the Asus download site, there's a new BIOS revision out (706). It says it should fix the issue with Linux. I'm downloading it at the moment so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the update, will be trying it shortly

trust_no1 said:
FYI:

Mandriva is finally up and running, thanks for the thread update :)

Back