Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H

UPDATE: We are back in business! I migrated everything over to Github, updated the fahinstall.sh script, and put it under a different user. The link in post 2 has been updated.

Thank you for this!

And as for your update. It worked once, not when I went to setup the second server... Been stuck on "Setting up Backup..." for a good 30 moments now.. Tried multiple times during this time...

Given that install script has changed [both location and content-wise]. You may need
to _delete_ it, then start from scratch.

To delete:
Code:
cd $HOME
rm fahinstall.sh

ugh, trying to get fahmon running and when I try to ./configure it says I don't have libCURL, I chased that down but it still says it

are you guys using something else for monitoring these days?

ugh, trying to get fahmon running and when I try to ./configure it says I don't have libCURL, I chased that down but it still says it

are you guys using something else for monitoring these days?

I use HFM.net on a remote machine. I have never messed with fahmon.

hmmm, OK, I got HFM.net set up on the windows box, and got it showing the local client there, but I'm a bit confused on how to get it to show the linux box, should I start a new thread?

Excellent Tutorial and script.

With the http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037125472#post1037125472 BFS Install (this is a 16 core 8389), it went smooth, then I rebooted.

It's been doing MEMTEST 86+ for an hour now, and I can't figure out how to cancel it. I tried C-Config>Test Settings> but I could not get it to SKIP TEST.

Eventually it will finish, but will it do this everytime I boot?

If GRUB (the bootloader) boots memtest without being explicitly asked to -- you have a problem with GRUB configuration.

You need to interrupt GRUB at boot-up [left Shift key IIRC] then boot Linux manually and rectify the problem.

Excellent Tutorial and script.

With the http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037125472#post1037125472 BFS Install (this is a 16 core 8389), it went smooth, then I rebooted.

It's been doing MEMTEST 86+ for an hour now, and I can't figure out how to cancel it. I tried C-Config>Test Settings> but I could not get it to SKIP TEST.

Eventually it will finish, but will it do this everytime I boot?

Just out of curiosity, what in the guide prompted you to install BFS?

Just out of curiosity, what in the guide prompted you to install BFS?

I knew how fast this machine was, and it has a brother also without BFS.

"... If you have 32 (threads) or less, you should at least try BFS and see how it affects your frame times..."

I knew how fast this machine was, and it has a brother also without BFS.

"... If you have 32 (threads) or less, you should at least try BFS and see how it affects your frame times..."

It is definitely worth a try. Let us know what you find out, or if you are still having issues booting to the correct kernel.

hmmm, OK, I got HFM.net set up on the windows box, and got it showing the local client there, but I'm a bit confused on how to get it to show the linux box, should I start a new thread?
Never done it personally but I figure pointing it to something like \\ip-address-of-linux-box\fah-share should work (e.g. \\192.168.1.15\fah).

Did you use the 12.04 install guide/script on the Linux box?

First, make sure Windows see the box. Start Menu - Run, then type \\machinename (replace machinename with the actual machine name.) That should open Windows Explorer and show an fah folder. If it does, you are ready for HFM. If not, try it with the IP address instead of the machine name. If Windows still can't find the box, you have something odd going on with samba or your network and we'll need to do some more in-depth troubleshooting in IRC or something. If Windows does find the box (either by machine name or IP address), go to HFM - Clients - Add Legacy Client (v6). Pick any Client Name, leave the next three field alone, make sure Local Path is checked, and enter \\machinename\fah or \\ipaddress\fah in the Log Folder field. Click the "..." button to make sure HFM finds the machine, and you should be set.

It is definitely worth a try. Let us know what you find out, or if you are still having issues booting to the correct kernel.

In the tutorial, it says "If your file looks like this (pic), with the top two with -ck designators you are good to go.

Mine looked like the example so I set grub=2 where the designators were (like the pic). Should have have skipped editing the grub file?

Last edited:
In the tutorial, it says "If your file looks like this (pic), with the top two with -ck designators you are good to go.

Mine looked like the example so I set grub=2 where the designators were (like the pic). Should have have skipped editing the grub file?

Could you show me what 'sudo update-grub' returns? Either post it here or PM it to me. Thanks

Sorry, I did a fresh install to get it running again.

I will try again soon.

Great guide even for first timer like me. I just realize how fast folding using ubuntu than windows.
Big thank for musky who help me a lot.

Any word on when the script will be available again? I don't see a link for it in post #2.

Any word on when the script will be available again? I don't see a link for it in post #2.

Step 6:

6. Download the fahinstall script, make it execuable, and run it with sudo:
Code:
cd ~
wget https://raw.github.com/team33/fahinstall/released/fahinstall
chmod +x fahinstall
sudo ./fahinstall

Is this what you mean?

I see. Proves my Linux noobishness. It's downloaded from within the terminal. Thanks!

I'm going to install it on an SSD today and get prepped up for my Monday upgrade to 16 cores.

Everything is working great so far. Excellent guide as always.

so i used this method to install on a machine that previously had windows + 7.3.6, seeing a +5,000ppd increase. thanks for all the hard work!

I'm about to attempt this on an i3 3220T z77 boxen w/ 16GB and a Radeon 7750 running 24/7 with an old 120gb hard drive (unless a RAM disk is practical and easy to set up?)

(I'll use an older power-thirsty Core2Quad 4GB and 7750 for occasional gaming or other Windows apps.)

Anything I should know in advance? Like does the Ubuntu version still get good AMD video scores? Any other snags you can think of?

Thanks!

If you want to fold on the GPU, you are probably better off using Windows. My experience with getting GPU folding to work with Linux has not been positive, especially with AMD cards (i.e. I have tried, and I have never gotten it to work.) This guide installs the v6 client for SMP-only. If you want to do GPU + SMP, stop after step 4 and then follow the guide from Stanford for setting up the v7 client. You will need to install the latest Linux video drivers before your GPU slot will work. That is where I was unable to get it to work.

This is indeed the holy grail of folding guide in Linux.

I'd go with V7 anyways since it can start on another WU while it's uploading the finished WU. Less downtime in between.
I come across this comment from another folding forum. Is it correct that with v6.34 there is a downtime in between finishing a WU and crunching on the next one?

Yes. The work unit assignment server will not offer a unit for download until the computer has completed uploading the finished, folded unit.

Obsoleted and deleted.

Last edited:
Amazing guide tear, thanks a ton for putting this together. Really great work!! :)

Holy smokes. I hadn't used this guide in a while but a recent move necessitated a reinstall. The script is amazing! Thanks everyone for putting this together!

I have upgraded one of my 4P Folders from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04. The installation was so easy - easier than a Windows installation, IMO. Thank you very much. I also enjoyed the download/installation guide that automatically installed and performed the base configurations for bigadv Folding, 6.34, with thekraken and Langouste. Wow, simply wow!

The machine has already completed two bigadv work units successfully without issues. Smooth as silk.

I cannot say enough good things about Musky, Tear, et al, who made this possible. I apologize that I can't find the list of all those who deserve credit. Rest assured, I may not know your names, but I salute you. You have my full respect.

Update: Should any of the Area 51 Crew visit Alaska, and if in my area, let me know. I'll treat you to a Glacier Brewhouse Rye Bock. :)

Last edited:
I have upgraded one of my 4P Folders from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04. The installation was so easy - easier than a Windows installation, IMO. Thank you very much. I also enjoyed the download/installation guide that automatically installed and performed the base configurations for bigadv Folding, 6.34, with thekraken and Langouste. Wow, simply wow!

The machine has already completed two bigadv work units successfully without issues. Smooth as silk.

I cannot say enough good things about Musky, Tear, et al, who made this possible. I apologize that I can't find the list of all those who deserve credit. Rest assured, I may not know your names, but I salute you. You have my full respect.

The Area 51 crew will do - and you are most welcome!

whoa I'm back

There's a chill in the air and my basement needs some heat, so for the next couple months, might as well crank out some bigadv units on my 4p.

when trying to run the fahinstall script now, term says
Code:
jeremy@4p:/usr/bin$ sudo fahinstall
==== Checking for updates (released)...
ERROR: certificate common name `[URL="http://www.github.com"]www.github.com[/URL]' doesn't match requested host name `raw.github.com'.
To connect to raw.github.com insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.
Premature exit.
jeremy@4p:/usr/bin$

I would understand if musky et al don't want to mess with it anymore, but I thought I might point it out incase any other wayward souls happen upon this thread. Are there good alternative instructions we should link to?

Back