Ubuntu artifacts :|

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm having problems running Ubuntu. I ordered the CD for Ubuntu 5.04 for AMD64/EM64T a while back, and I'm having problems running it now.

I installed it just fine. It bots just fine, but after I go to login, everything but the cursor freezes, and I'm left with like a 10CM by 0.6CM bar of artifacts just above the middle of the screen in the center. There is nothing but that bar, the (working) cursor and the brown background. This happens right after I enter my login details. Whats up with that?

I'm stumped. I put my video card back to stock, my CPU back to stock, no avail.

System in sig. (Ubuntu installed on 13.4GB Partition with a 600MB swap partition adjacent to it on my 80GB Seagate.

I'm downloading Ubuntu 5.10 right now, but seeing as it will take a while, can anybody give me hints as to why this is happening?

TIA

EDIT: Also, the LiveCD has the exact same problem.

I reformatted and installed Ubuntu 5.10. Same problem.

I cannot run 64bit Ubuntu :| Anyone? I'd really like to get exploring it.

It looks like the problem lies in my video card, and more specifically in its BIOS which I had to flash to a few weeks back for it to function better. Anyone else got similar probs with the eVGA N516 7800GT + Linux?

I would guess that the problem is that the nVidia drivers doesn't support the newest revision of that card yet. They will probably catch up with the next release, but it'll be some time before the live CDs are updated with them.

I ran into something similar, where you boot up after the install and the screen looks all garbled, my usb mouse gets started up, but my usb keyboard doesn't work, and you cannot seem to do anything.

If you're using an nvidia card this was fixable for me, by booting up in recovery mode, logging in as root, and typing nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Look inside of this file for "nv" change this to "vesa" and then press control+X and Y to save, reboot and you should get your gui, depending on how you set it up, you will have to unlock the correct repositories and you can install nvidia-glx.

Good Luck.

Shameless Liar said:
It looks like the problem lies in my video card, and more specifically in its BIOS which I had to flash to a few weeks back for it to function better. Anyone else got similar probs with the eVGA N516 7800GT + Linux?
I'm having problems loaging SuSe on a XFX 7800 GT w/256 RAM. (GNOME)

It worked before but now it just doesnt.

Back