Ubuntu and Chromecast

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm a bit confused. I was thinking of using my personal laptop (Lenovo Flex 14) as an Ubuntu 18.04 system. I thought I had cleared all of the hurdles/concerns I had, but I was reading that you need additional plugins/extensions to cast from Chrome. I found many complaints that it didn't work natively.

After install, and the install of Chrome, it seems to work fine. I was able to cast from YouTube using Chrome to my Chromecast Ultra. So, what gives? Was this an issue that was recently rectified? Seems to work fine for me without any additional steps.

How old where the complaints you found. I always find specific Linux searches... google tends to mix a lot of results in from like 2015. lol :)

Chrome and casting has always "just worked" for me as well. However, I wonder if it's a bit of confusion from people using Chromium and some of the secret sauce in Chrome is missing.

Good to know. I don't recall how recent the threads were I read, but I was including 18.04 in my search string. Can't complain though, as it works for me. Kind of relieved that it didn't need further configuration.

cast "just works" and there is no need for any extensions with chrome as it has been baked into google-chrome for years now

Back