Ubuntu 7.10 (SMP) - Little help anybody?

Jon855

[H]ard DCOTM January 2008
Me being the Linux idiot, I'm currently installing the distro on my X2 rig, as soon I'm done I'm going to slap the SMP Client on it. I'm just here to say hey look at me, I don't know anything about folding on linux so please hit me with tips and hints.
EDIT: It seems that the video card is basically dying I can't even install for crap... What to do next?

Beg for a new card ?

If you have a agp slot, I can send one of my AGP cards free of charge to help you feel less embarassed ;)

I think I have some old PCI video cards laying around if you need one :)

My video card is working but it is getting some massive artifacts and it thinks that blocky colorful cubes are pretty... I guess my installation disc is bad, I'll have to burn me another one or should I just go to the folder disc creator? and fold? Where's that from again?

Thank you guys for offering video cards - I'm not embarrassed... Damn you guys, getting on my back for failing so many times :D

The big 'tip' is that you have to install ia32-libs. (as root: apt-get install ia32-libs)

Artifacts is a sign of a failing video card.

Do you need a desktop environment, or is it a dedicated folder?

If it's dedicated, go ubuntu server x64. Far less overhead, and It Just Works (tm)

If you're in need of a video card, I have two ATI cards I can part with (1950 pro AGP, 1950XT pci-e), and I'll be back on campus (you are an RIT kid, right?) on Wednesday or so.

Do you need a desktop environment, or is it a dedicated folder?

If it's dedicated, go ubuntu server x64. Far less overhead, and It Just Works (tm)

If you're in need of a video card, I have two ATI cards I can part with (1950 pro AGP, 1950XT pci-e), and I'll be back on campus (you are an RIT kid, right?) on Wednesday or so.

Dedicated folder... (I however do have a hard drive there so if I can use that, it'll be nice as well...)

pci-e slots mobo... I guess if you're willing I'll take that offer from ya in exchange of some good cold beers or something like that ;) Thanks man.

And yes I'm an RIT kid, speaking of the devil... I've been to the NRH Labs, I noticed a massive heat output and sure enough when I logged on, I see WCG running... You know anything about this? :D

Use finstall to set it up. Just need to dlownload the file i linked, then type in
chmod +x finstall
./finstall smp
It'll make a foldingathome folder in the home folder of whatever account you're logged in as (/root/foldingathome) if you're logged in as root.
cd /path/to/foldingathome
./installService
/etc/init.d/folding start
That should get you set up.

Dedicated folder... (I however do have a hard drive there so if I can use that, it'll be nice as well...)

pci-e slots mobo... I guess if you're willing I'll take that offer from ya in exchange of some good cold beers or something like that ;) Thanks man.

And yes I'm an RIT kid, speaking of the devil... I've been to the NRH Labs, I noticed a massive heat output and sure enough when I logged on, I see WCG running... You know anything about this? :D

I didn't WCG the NRH, no, but I'm glad someone has.

Yeah, I can't exactly give up a card like that for beer.

I CAN give up the X300 card I have for beer, though. :p I'll PM when I get back into town :)

At what point during the install are you getting problems with the artifacts?
What video card are you using?
Have you tried a different distro?

I know Ubuntu likes to throw a fit during the graphical install sometimes. I have not experienced it in the couple of times I've installed it but many others have.

Also, what are the specs of the machine?

I might be able to help you out a little although I have very little experience with Ubuntu as I don't care for it. You never can tell, though. To be truthful, I'm actually running my openSUSE VMs at init 5 which means the graphical UI. I need to drop them down to init 3 for command line only. They do nothing but fold.

The big 'tip' is that you have to install ia32-libs. (as root: apt-get install ia32-libs)

Amen to that, always DL the ia32-libs for anything Ubuntu 64 flavor v7.10 and below (kinda like the net thing in windose) and use the 64 bit version in linux (very, very important :eek:), I don't think they've included them in v8.04 either. (the ia32-libs are in the synaptic package manager) and just follow the Folding@home SMP FAQ. (mkdir -p ~/folding/FAH, etc)
I think the libs are included in some 64 bit flavors of Linux, there are so many different distros.
(I ran SUSE and Fedora 8 one time and I can't remember if they had the 32 bit libs or not :confused:)
I've installed Linux a bunch of times in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Fedora Core 8, Mandriva 2008 (I think Mandriva only comes in a 32 bit version :confused:), etc with absolutely no problemos (especially a Ubuntu flavor they're "easy breezy")
If you use wget to get the SMP client just don't forget to untar it to the ~/folding/FAH directory. (d'oh, I forgot one time trying to fold in the Dapper Drake 64 bit version :rolleyes: )
I've read the posts and if by chance you still need a PCIe card I have a couple of "el cheapo" ones you are welcome to, about all they're good for is installing and checking your progress in the F@H program.
May the computer Gods be with you, good luck :D

Edit: Not to thread cap, but I've got a "store" bought DVD of Centros64 and it keeps on erroring out during install. Do you think I got a bad disk? I could just DL another copy and burn it to DVD, I've done it a number of times with different Linux distros (I've got a drawer full of Linux versions, even a SUSE DVD and a old and new Mepis CD) I had kind of the same problemos with Freespire i386
(not impressed with that distro at all) and I thought maybe it was the machine. I tried the same DVD on a E6600 water cooler, a E6400 water cooler, a E6600 air cooler and a E6420 air cooler to no avail. (errors out in the same spot, bad DVD probably, d'oh)

My video card is working but it is getting some massive artifacts and it thinks that blocky colorful cubes are pretty... I guess my installation disc is bad, I'll have to burn me another one or should I just go to the folder disc creator? and fold? Where's that from again?

Thank you guys for offering video cards - I'm not embarrassed... Damn you guys, getting on my back for failing so many times :D

If the video card has a PCIe power plug on it....is it hooked up?
Does the mobo have a power plug to additional power to the PCIe slots? Is it hooked up?

Back