Ubuntu 19.10 release

AltTabbins

Fully [H]
Anyone else getting their systems ready for this? I am an early adopter with linux and primarly use Pop OS but System 76 said it should release on the same day as Ubuntu 19.10.

I played around with a beta spin, but think I'll wait for Pop! OS' variant to build a persistent USB setup. Need something that will boot on any system, with the main concern being whether the system has an Nvidia GPU or not.

I'll probably bump my box up to 19.10. Been a bit since I intentionally disrupted a stable box.

I played around with a beta spin, but think I'll wait for Pop! OS' variant to build a persistent USB setup. Need something that will boot on any system, with the main concern being whether the system has an Nvidia GPU or not.
Just an FYI, starting with 19.10 mainline Ubuntu will include the NVIDIA drivers on the ISO, and they will be selectable at boot. Which will be more convenient in my opinion than the separate ISO's that System 76 provide.

EDIT: Just to clarify, as far as I'm aware this will also apply to the official Ubuntu spins as well. I know that Ubuntu MATE is including them for sure as they are in the release notes.

Yup, that's what I'm looking for.

This will go on an externally enclosed M.2 SATA stick through USB3.

Just an FYI, starting with 19.10 mainline Ubuntu will include the NVIDIA drivers on the ISO, and they will be selectable at boot. Which will be more convenient in my opinion than the separate ISO's that System 76 provide.

EDIT: Just to clarify, as far as I'm aware this will also apply to the official Ubuntu spins as well. I know that Ubuntu MATE is including them for sure as they are in the release notes.
Good to know

I'm looking forward to playing with 19.10 for the ZFS stuff. Could be a nice upgrade to my Plex server to migrate to 20.04 LTS and move from Snapraid to ZFS

I'm looking forward to playing with 19.10 for the ZFS stuff. Could be a nice upgrade to my Plex server to migrate to 20.04 LTS and move from Snapraid to ZFS

I really liked ZFS with FreeNAS. I use a Drobo5n now so I don't need to worry about it, but I'll be using it for my storage pools on my home server for sure.

Pop OS 19.10 is live now. I think some of the unofficial Ubuntu flavors are releasing today too.

Nope, no thanks. Ubunutu's latest versions usually have support issues that their LTS version does not.

I got the update popup but it's not updating when I click upgrade.

The window just closes but nothing happens.

From 19.04 to 19.10. In any case, I figured it out.

It had something to do with the Nvidia driver installed from the ppa.

I switched over to nouveau temporarily, and then was able to run do-dist-upgrade from command line.

Still kind of annoying that it didn't work with the GUI, or even give an error message or anything, but it's working now.

From 19.04 to 19.10. In any case, I figured it out.

It had something to do with the Nvidia driver installed from the ppa.

I switched over to nouveau temporarily, and then was able to run do-dist-upgrade from command line.

Still kind of annoying that it didn't work with the GUI, or even give an error message or anything, but it's working now.
I had this same issue. I purged the NVIDIA PPA, rebooted, and then was able to perform the upgrade from the GUI. The message I got from the command line that lead me down this path stated that I needed to be fully updated before upgrading. The only package I had available was a newer NVIDIA driver. Just decided to revert to the Ubuntu repo drivers and the problem was solved.

The biggest takeaway here was the lack of an error message in the GUI upgrader. Had I not ran sudo do-release-upgrade -c from the command line I'd never have known the NVIDIA driver was my issue.

Right. Not the biggest issue, but it would have been nice if the GUI was able to give a hint as to the problem.

Back