Ubuntu 13.04 'Raring Ringtail' Drops Wubi in Final Beta

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you were waiting on the beta download of Raring Ringtail last week, suffice it to say you were left wanting. This week is another story with the download released with four important changes in the final beta.

Users hungry for a taste of the next main release of Canonical's popular Linux distribution can now get their fill, thanks to a second beta release that just came out, complete with software to download and take for a spin.

So many Linux users despise GNOME 3. I thought it reminded me of the Start Screen but fancier. But, a lot of distros are using it as default now.

I'm more privy to Cinnamon and KDE.

I usually just do an Ubuntu minimal install with lxde myself. Pretty plain jane but works great.

So many Linux users despise GNOME 3. I thought it reminded me of the Start Screen but fancier. But, a lot of distros are using it as default now.

The only distros that are pushing it are the ones designed for desktops/laptops and users that want a mindless-computing experience.
Not to be insulting, but it is basically designed for those who are used to tablets/smartphones and want simplistic GUI functions with no need for anything in the back-end of the OS.

In otherwords, the GUI is trying to replicate tablet interfaces and the OS X GUI to a small extent.
They can keep it.

Personally, I prefer the Unity 3D desktop. It's much more quicker and easier to navigate. The hotkeys and dock are perfect. Don't understand why people say it's "awful" and then give no reason for it.

Tried Cinnamon (not too shabby though undercooked), LXDE (nice, quick, lightweight but also very plain and inconsistent/quirky), XFCE (probably my most fav to use if you don't care too much about panels, widgets and customization options) and KDE.

KDE has matured the most in the way that would be least annoying to those of us who prefer the desktop to look and behave more like Gnome 2 and Windows Non-Metro. I've stuck with KDE because some of the panel options were too nice to give up. It's come a long way.

Unity and Gnome 3 is just a disaster all around.

Personally, I prefer the Unity 3D desktop. It's much more quicker and easier to navigate. The hotkeys and dock are perfect. Don't understand why people say it's "awful" and then give no reason for it.

This is the same argument that people keep giving for the Modern UI in Windows 8.
Simply put, because both of them are a pain in the ass to access any back-end functions.

Once again, if I wanted to use an OS that forced users to utilize keyboard shortcuts constantly, I'd be using OS X.
But, if it works for you, then enjoy.

I agree. I'd go as far as to say Unity is my favorite shell as far as usability goes, I'd rather use it then OSX/Win8.

I'm looking forward to the changes in 13.04 and that says a lot because I hated it at first.

The only distros that are pushing it are the ones designed for desktops/laptops and users that want a mindless-computing experience.
Not to be insulting, but it is basically designed for those who are used to tablets/smartphones and want simplistic GUI functions with no need for anything in the back-end of the OS.

In otherwords, the GUI is trying to replicate tablet interfaces and the OS X GUI to a small extent.
They can keep it.

I see this horrible meme all of the time when it comes to Gnome 3. Exactly what part of the OS is "made" for tablets/smartphones?

Here a picture for reference...

desktop.jpg

.. and here's good old Windows 8 (blech).

windows8screen-tmagArticle.jpg

Now that is a design made for tablets and phones.

Though if I was given a choice between Win 8 Start Screen and GNOME 3 as my only two choices, I'd go with GNOME 3.

I think he meant this screen as being made for tablets:

That would be pretty horrible because exactly how big is that hotspot for the overlay? On a tablet maybe you could get to it. On a phone? Forget about it.

However, for those who really want a smaller menu (and really that's all it is) then here you go.

menu2.jpg

Unity and GNOME 3 gave me a whole new appreciation for KDE. I decided to leave Ubuntu altogether for openSUSE 12.3 KDE. Linux has never been better :)

Never understood why people reinstall Linux in its entirety just because they aren't happy with a UI. It's pretty simple to change desktop environments and window managers.

With that said, my little 1.3ghz laptop with 1gb ram is running Debian using the Fluxbox window manager and Wbar as the program dock, it cruises along. I like how straightforward no frills Fluxbox is and how simplistic wbar is to configure and use. It adds up to basically a free no resource usage UI.

Never understood why people reinstall Linux in its entirety just because they aren't happy with a UI. It's pretty simple to change desktop environments and window managers.

I agree, that doesn't make much sense.
But then again, Linux is above most people's heads.

With that said, my little 1.3ghz laptop with 1gb ram is running Debian using the Fluxbox window manager and Wbar as the program dock, it cruises along. I like how straightforward no frills Fluxbox is and how simplistic wbar is to configure and use. It adds up to basically a free no resource usage UI.

What's your usage sitting at now? I was finding myself choked on a netbook that had 1.5GB of ram (Booting to desktop used less than 200MB) and even despite having 10GB of ram in this machine, I'm feeling annoyed that KDE+Everything else has me sitting at roughly 1GB at desktop.

Seriously, Unity is worse than Metro UI. Is there a XFKDLXDFCDCE or whatever that makes Ubuntu feel like Win7?

Seriously, Unity is worse than Metro UI. Is there a XFKDLXDFCDCE or whatever that makes Ubuntu feel like Win7?

KDE with tweaks. KDE is seriously the happy medium (for me) between WinXP and Win7 and what I liked about both in terms of UI appearances and behaviour.

.. and here's good old Windows 8 (blech).

[*IMG]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/02/29/blogs/windows8screen/windows8screen-tmagArticle.jpg[/IMG]

Now that is a design made for tablets and phones.

? That's just what the start screen looks like, not the actual desktop. Not really comparable.

This is the same argument that people keep giving for the Modern UI in Windows 8.
Simply put, because both of them are a pain in the ass to access any back-end functions.

Once again, if I wanted to use an OS that forced users to utilize keyboard shortcuts constantly, I'd be using OS X.
But, if it works for you, then enjoy.

Efficient, knowledgeable computer professionals use keyboard shortcuts anyway: they're quicker and simpler. The argument being given is actually quite accurate... the metro/modern UI in Win8 really doesn't hurt anything at all (in fact it's nicer overall than the tiny start menu shoved into the corner of the screen), while the desktop functions better/the same as compared to Windows 7, which is well-regarded. What exactly is the problem here with a Linux UI that is similar? The reason people make the same argument is because it's true, here.

Efficient, knowledgeable computer professionals use keyboard shortcuts anyway: they're quicker and simpler. The argument being given is actually quite accurate... the metro/modern UI in Win8 really doesn't hurt anything at all (in fact it's nicer overall than the tiny start menu shoved into the corner of the screen), while the desktop functions better/the same as compared to Windows 7, which is well-regarded. What exactly is the problem here with a Linux UI that is similar? The reason people make the same argument is because it's true, here.

A good OS would give the user a choice to use either keyboard shortcuts or the GUI.
A shitty OS forces the user to use keyboard shortcuts or just the GUI.

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
-Andrew Ryan

A good OS would give the user a choice to use either keyboard shortcuts or the GUI.
A shitty OS forces the user to use keyboard shortcuts or just the GUI.

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
-Andrew Ryan

You can use the GUI in Windows 8 as well, but like ANY program, operating system, or other device, you're best off using shortcuts and hardware buttons.

Not sure what the heck you're going on about slavery for in a thread about GUI experiences on computers.... :eek: .

Unity is pretty good, though I hated it back when it was first introduced.

Funny thing is, only Windows and KDE provide good experience if you move your taskbar on the left or right side. Gnome and every fork of it all use actual images for backgrounds ffs. You know, images that are clearly meant for a horizontal taskbar. Even if you use the bar horizontaly, you better not resize it as these same images are not good for that either.

Can't believe no one ever thought about that for more than a decade. It's amazing.

They can keep it.

How in the world would you explain the HUD? How is that designed for tablets? phones? or even dumbing anything down?

Unity is meant to tie them together, and imo it does it far better than Metro and Win8. There's no doubt that it's much more friendly to a touch interface than KDE or XFCE, but it still retains (nearly) all of the functionality of Linux. I can understand the arguments against Windows yanking away functionality because it affects all users, both noobs and the experts, but if you can't tinker with a GUI to make it your own on Linux... well, I don't know what to tell you :p

I get it, people still use desktops. The problem is that people use smartphones and tablets too, and those other interfaces have nothing to offer.

I had ubuntu for like a month and i dont remember it very well because I did a lot of red hat but turning off unity was pretty easy

Funny, when did all of my desktop apps become Metro-only? Oh, wait... they still work identically to Win7. :p

That's why I said "Metro". It's not my fault that MS designed an OS that has an identity crisis. :)

That's why I said "Metro". It's not my fault that MS designed an OS that has an identity crisis. :)

Metro? On a desktop I only use that as a Start menu :D. It's nice to have on the convertible tablet-pc though.

I'll go out on a limb and comment on the actual op. Wubi was and is a complete abortion and deserved the unceremonious death it received.

Back