Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop OpenGL Performance Comparison

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative OS types out there should head on over to Phoronix this afternoon and check out this Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop OpenGL performance comparison.

In this article are benchmarks of six different desktops (Unity, GNOME Shell, GNOME Classic, KDE Plasma, Xfce, and LXDE) on five different GPU/driver configurations (Radeon, Catalyst, Intel, NVIDIA, and Nouveau) running the very latest Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" development packages to look at the latest state of the Ubuntu Linux gaming OpenGL performance.

Not trying to troll, but after seeing the proud numbers displayed by the open-source NVidia drivers, and both the open-source and propitiatory AMD drivers, I seriously have to question Gabe's decision to concentrate on Linux development. The only way he's going to guarantee that he won't have some sad gamers is if he has complete control over the environment... but then I guess that's what the ValveBox is all about, hmm.

Not trying to troll, but after seeing the proud numbers displayed by the open-source NVidia drivers, and both the open-source and propitiatory AMD drivers, I seriously have to question Gabe's decision to concentrate on Linux development. The only way he's going to guarantee that he won't have some sad gamers is if he has complete control over the environment... but then I guess that's what the ValveBox is all about, hmm.

There should be the caveat that what was primarily tested was the desktop environment, as the actual video card configurations were radically different (GTX 680 for NVIDIA, HD 6870 for AMD, 9800GTX for nouveau, etc.). However it appears that the DE performance is actually relatively similar across the various vendor drivers, with more variability in the open source drivers.

Try to also consider that Windows doesn't have any open source drivers. It doesn't need to but you can look at open source drivers as the driver Windows Installs before you install the manufacturer drivers. They're shit unless proper drivers are installed.

Also, default Windows driver doesn't have OpenGL support, while these open source drivers do. The biggest concern is the ability to update the drivers. Windows finally has ways to auto update drivers, but not on Linux. Driver installs on Linux is a pain in the arse.

Try to also consider that Windows doesn't have any open source drivers. It doesn't need to but you can look at open source drivers as the driver Windows Installs before you install the manufacturer drivers. They're shit unless proper drivers are installed.

Also, default Windows driver doesn't have OpenGL support, while these open source drivers do. The biggest concern is the ability to update the drivers. Windows finally has ways to auto update drivers, but not on Linux. Driver installs on Linux is a pain in the arse.

I totally agree with you on Linux driver updates. Nothing like rebooting after installing to see that X didn't start and you gotta redo everything again.

Looks like I might try Ubuntu again. Haven't used it since the Rusty Ibis(?) release. (8 or 9)

Driver updates are pretty seamless in Ubuntu. At least in my experience. I wish Windows was as smooth, albeit a reboot isn't required on Windows, which is a major plus.

Driver updates are pretty seamless in Ubuntu. At least in my experience. I wish Windows was as smooth, albeit a reboot isn't required on Windows, which is a major plus.

To update the AMD drivers is a pain. You gotta go into Terminal and type commands to first remove the old drivers, and then install new ones. Nether AMD or Nvidia have an auto update driver for Linux, and would probably be bad. If you don't have the proper kernel version installed you're screwed.

those are the most unsightly graphs ive ever seen in my life.

theres red, light red, dark red, slightly darker red.

makes me feel like im effing color blind

I would have rather seen performance differences with desktop compositing disabled. That's easy to disable in xfce at least. Not sure if lxde uses it, but gnome and kde rely on it a lot more.

To update the AMD drivers is a pain. You gotta go into Terminal and type commands to first remove the old drivers, and then install new ones. Nether AMD or Nvidia have an auto update driver for Linux, and would probably be bad. If you don't have the proper kernel version installed you're screwed.

Why not just use the PPA?

Other than yeah, they haven't updated the PPA for the 310.xx nvidia series... but they do have them in jockey now.

Back