Ubuntu 12.04 vs. Windows 7: Intel Loses On Linux

HardOCP News

[H] News
All you alternative OS types out there aren't going to be happy with this article.

Here's a comparison of the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS versus Microsoft Windows 7 performance when it comes to using Intel Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge processors with integrated graphics. While the Sandy Bridge graphics performance was once faster when it came to OpenGL with the open-source Linux driver, that's no longer the case. The Linux OpenGL performance for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge hardware is now slower in most GL workloads than Intel's Windows 7 x64 driver.

Its not called Wintel for nothing :p

But i kind of expected this. Linux support for new hardware is usually a step behind at first, but it also doesn't take long for the optimizations to start rolling out at a pretty decent rate (most of the time). Until I get my valve games on Linux, gaming performance on it is not a huge issue ^_^

Then again i dont even have an Intel processor :p

They'll have AMD benchmarks soon with Ubuntu vs Windows 7. It really shouldn't be a surprise that a open source graphics driver lost to Intel's Windows 7 X64 driver. Especially if you've been paying attention to open source drivers with AMD and Nvidia graphics. Considering the open source didn't do too badly, I'm not disappointed. Usually with AMD and Nvidia the proprietary drivers can do hundreds more FPS then the open source driver.

Open source drivers are very important to get working, as hardware goes legacy and leaves behind perfectly working hardware.

This will likely have little effect on the Linux community and won't cause a mass exodus from Linux --> Windows. The Linux community will likely toss a spin on this Apple-style.

So sandy bridge GPU was faster under linux, the windows driver has improved faster than the linux driver, and now is faster. This doesn't make the linux driver worse than before, so who cares?

while i'm more of a windows fanboy, i don't really see this is a win or anything. All it says is paid developers put out better drivers faster than unpaid volunteer teams. I would expect that to be business as usual. Linux development is always slower due to a variety of situations. It doesn't necessarily make it worse.

so meh it is what it is i guess.

Irrelevant and pointless. Not sure why anyone would think that this would effect Linux users anywhere.

Seems to me that the sort of person who would care about OpenGL performance on Linux would be using an Nvidia GPU anyway.

Don't misunderstand me, I luff the Linux. Hannah Montana Linux and Mint are loaded on two laptops and I use the HML machine on a nearly daily basis. I've been toying with various distros for the past 13 years, but I must frequently bow to Microsoft when it comes to system performance and usefulness.

In a past where Windows 9x builds were forcing restarts, constantly throwing BSODs, and were terribly insecure, Linux was a valid alternative for those that didn't mind rolling up their sleeves. The window (no pun) for Linux to gain mainstream support on standard PC hardware was closed quite a few years ago. Microsoft's efforts to clean up hardware vendor drivers and their efforts to improve stability have made their operating systems, in my opinion, substantially ahead of competing Linux distros since the introduction of Windows 2000.

I don't think many people will be surprised by the significantly better performance. That sort of thing continues to mirror the state of the industry and the marginalization of Linux as a desktop operating system.

This isn't news, it has been known for quite some time that the Intel drivers for SB onwards were very poor.

if you're complaining about gaming on ubuntu somethings wrong with you

Back